Quantcast

B. Everett Jordan Lake

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
Sorry for not posting this earlier. It is on mtbr and trianglemtb already. The Army Corp of Engineers will be accepting comments on the update of their master plan for Jordan Lake in Chatham County, NC for a brief 30 day period starting about 2 weeks ago. They have not updated the plan since 1982 and it may be another 25 years before it happens again. This is our opportunity to speak up and tell them we would like to see mountain bike trail around Jordan Lake. There are multiple layers of agencies involved but USACE is the primary land manager and IMBA has a national MOU with them to promote mountain biking so there is really no reason why there is no trail in almost 33,000 acres around the lake.

Please take a moment and fill out the online comment form and ask for singletrack mountain bike trail at Jordan Lake. At this point, that should be sufficient and as we narrow down the possibilities we will ask you for your support on the details.

http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/Jordan/index.htm

Click on Master Plan Comments on the left (3rd one down) and fill out the short form. It will take about 2 minutes.

Thanks for your help,
Brian Williford
NC IMBA Rep.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I thought there was some single track over off Big Woods Rd on Army Corp land? I used to ride there a couple times a week when I lived in Chapel Hill. Fun trails they were. Was that not legal trail?

Either way, good luck with your cause. More trails are always good!

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
I thought there was some single track over off Big Woods Rd on Army Corp land? I used to ride there a couple times a week when I lived in Chapel Hill. Fun trails they were. Was that not legal trail?
Either way, good luck with your cause. More trails are always good!
That was a nice piece of singletrack on Big Woods Rd. It was allowed on a hand shake for a few races. It has been off limits for over a year now. There was even more trail off of Pea Ridge Rd. in the late eighties. It was shut down in the mid nineties.

Our goal is to get a legal long term aggreement with State Parks and the Corps for singletrack out there. This comment time period is the first step to making it a reality. Thank you for filling out the comment.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
That was a nice piece of singletrack on Big Woods Rd. It was allowed on a hand shake for a few races. It has been off limits for over a year now. There was even more trail off of Pea Ridge Rd. in the late eighties. It was shut down in the mid nineties.
That explains it. I moved away about 3 years ago. I remember hearing about the races but never participated. Too bad they're closed really. That was a sweet loop. I lived about 10 minutes away and rode there pretty often BITD.

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
Only one week left to comment. Please take a few minutes to ask for singletrack at Lake Jordan. Every comment adds up.

Thanks,
Brian Williford
NC IMBA Rep.