Quantcast

B6 Audi A4?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah. I'm going to look at both that 3.0 A4 and an S4 sedan after work tomorrow. I'd definitely prefer a wagon over the sedan but I'll at least use that to gauge my interest in an S4 in general.
dave, let me remind you that you already have a full time job.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
man, you guys either have the worst luck or don't take care of your cars.
I've had my b5 A4 for almost 11 years and haven't had any excessive repairs (for a 15yo car).

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
man, you guys either have the worst luck or don't take care of your cars.
I've had my b5 A4 for almost 11 years and haven't had any excessive repairs (for a 15yo car).
this.

i barely did basic maintenance on the vw's i owned and the only ones
i killed were the two I wrecked...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, i told dave earlier this morning that if he's gonna get a car that needs so much work, he should at least get something unique like an MG

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
B6 S4s seem surprisingly cheap. Are they problematic?
Check out some of the Audi forums (Audizine, Audiworld, Quattroworld) and you can probably answer that question pretty quickly. In fact there is a thread on Audizine called 'S4 owners jumping ship' or something like that. In short they are generally pretty good, but the V8 engine has potential for issues with the timing chain system around 100k+ miles that is like ~$5k to fix. My allroad has this same engine and I am also thinking about selling, not just because of this issue, but also because the handling is no longer acceptable to me. I was seriously considering a B7 S4 for a bit, but their high cost and potential for issues remains which keeps me away. I was looking into B8 2.0T avants which are decently quick and upgradeable, but auto trans only. I might actually look at 2011+ WRX's for the performance, although the lack of refinement compared to an Audi is disappointing.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Maybe. But I don't need a Electrical Engineering Masters and an FCC license to figure out why using the windshield wipers makes the left head light turn on, and the rear passenger door to lock, like HAB's going to need if he buys an Audi.
You're right.....you need a PhD

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
1. No manual no care.

2. Too big. I know I said I want a wagon, but I'd prefer 3 series/A4 size.
I've been looking at 3 series wagons as well. They are available with a manual but that is rare and the choice of RWD (also rare) or AWD. But they are only available with the 325/328 engine option, which is quick enough but no M3 or S4 competition. Myself currently having a V8, it might not be satisfying enough even if it is a touch quicker 0-60. I guess I need to go drive one and find out.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
They did indeed. Certainly are an option.
I rented one in Denmark one summer and I was really disappointed but I guess there is a long way from a stripped down rental 4 cyl 3 series to what you get here. I have always wanted a 3 or A4 wagon but with two boys the Volvo just has much more space inside.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have a Master's in ME...I am qualified enough for an Audi? I've managed to keep one of the most unreliable models going strong for almost 4 years now, so I must be doing something right. I better not mention how much that has cost though...
Apparently the sarcasm went undetected.

It was a joke in regards to Jeeps and electrical issues. They are known to have plenty of them, but the upside is they are some of the easiest vehicles to work on out there.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
It was a joke in regards to Jeeps and electrical issues. They are known to have plenty of them, but the upside is they are some of the easiest vehicles to work on out there.
Ah I made the Audi connection, but missed the Jeep reference.

manhattanprjk83 should chime in here, he sold his B6 S4 and bought a Jeep Wrangler 4 door.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I think you just need to be mentally prepared to shuck out unreasonable amounts of $$ when purchasing an Audi. Just be prepared for it.

Sure you may be one of the 10% that never has any issues... just don't *bank* on it. :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a Master's in ME...I am qualified enough for an Audi? I've managed to keep one of the most unreliable models going strong for almost 4 years now, so I must be doing something right. I better not mention how much that has cost though...
You just need a license I believe. But since you're from Pittsburgh you may want to know about the little lever on the left side of the steering column. It goes up and down and activates colored lights on the front and back of your car called turn signals. These are handy in letting the other drivers know that you're going to suddenly cut them off when you make a right hand turn from the left lane. They look like this:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My heart is in no way set on Audi. They just struck me as the most obvious contender for a smaller, semi-sporty wagon with a manual in the 10-15k range. I'm more than receptive to other ideas if anyone's got one.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
But since you're from Pittsburgh you may want to know about the little lever on the left side of the steering column.
I'm originally from Buffalo, and don't even get me started on how retarded the average Pittsburgh driver is. Not using turn signals is the least offensive thing I see on a daily basis.