Quantcast

B6 Audi A4?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I posted a wagon from ebay, but it's an auto. Not sure if they made a manual or not. That would be a fun car.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Definitely don't seem common, but that would be an awesome car if you could find one. Chances of finding one locally would be slim to none.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My heart is in no way set on Audi. They just struck me as the most obvious contender for a smaller, semi-sporty wagon with a manual in the 10-15k range. I'm more than receptive to other ideas if anyone's got one.
How about a Saab 9-3 wagon? Not too big, reasonably sporty, and it's very easy to get more power out of a turbo engine. As a bonus, it will probably be a little more reliable than the Audi, and will certainly be more unique. Last I looked they were dirt cheap. I still sometimes miss my old 9-3.

The Jetta Sportwagen with the TDI engine isn't bad, but I don't think you'll be happy with it. It has adequate power, and handles reasonably well, but it's nothing like an M3. I say this as a current owner of one.

I test drove a CTS wagon and absolutely loved it. However, they're hard to come by used, and prices for a wagon are going to be well out of the 10-15k range.

Subaru has some reasonably sporty wagons and hatchbacks, but I'm not much of a Subaru fan.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I actually really like those. If it were a manual (and preferably closer) I'd think about it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Definitely don't seem common, but that would be an awesome car if you could find one. Chances of finding one locally would be slim to none.
If you do look at one make sure to hit some grass or dirt and make sure there is drive to the rear wheels, angle gear, handbrake switch, there's always something wrong. I had a T5 manual sedan and it was alright, most comfortable seats you could sit on but they do have a tendancy to catch fire, hahaha, Volvo.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Drove a B6 3.0 wagon and a B6 S4 today. I knew they weren't going to be as sharp as the M3, but just how not as sharp was disappointing. Steering was a tad vague in both, but the clutches both drove me nuts. Long throw, and absolutely no feel on takeup. The S4 was better but still not great.

The 4.2, on the other hand, was impressive. Pulls well, revy, sounds great. Liked the interiors on both.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Found an '04 V70 R with 93k for $12k locally. Will try to arrange a drive tomorrow.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I tested one once. Fast, but they're big cars.

I'd take one in a second, for the record...
I had an 850 once upon a time ago, and found my mom a base 2.4 n/a manual 2006 for my mom (credit to stevew for that one actually) a few years back, which I've driven a bit. They're not small, but I wouldn't call them crazy huge. Plus being able to just throw a DH bike in back without so much as taking a wheel off is awesome. We shall see.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Drove a B6 3.0 wagon and a B6 S4 today. I knew they weren't going to be as sharp as the M3, but just how not as sharp was disappointing. Steering was a tad vague in both, but the clutches both drove me nuts. Long throw, and absolutely no feel on takeup. The S4 was better but still not great.

The 4.2, on the other hand, was impressive. Pulls well, revy, sounds great. Liked the interiors on both.
The S4 is roughly equivalent to the 335. Remember that BMW underrates this quite a bit, this and their modern transmissions wring every bit of power from the engine to make them serious competition. For the equivalent years you'd be looking more at the 330ci. The RS4 is their version of the M3, although they haven't always brought it over stateside. The older models especially suffer from handling issues due to where the engine is mounted and weight bias. AWD tries to make up for it, but in the end it's not going to turn or handle as well as something like an M3. The latest versions finally got the engine pushed back a bit.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm aware of all of that. Thing is, there never was a 330 wagon. If there was that would be an obvious frontrunner.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It was interesting how much faster (and fun) my WRX wagon was than many other cars I've driven. I've driven the 335s and other 3 series, but I distinctly remember driving a 535 in tucson (what we call "FBO-cars" from the airport) and just not being impressed by it. The 335 was a good chassi and package for that engine, but the 535 was lumbering, heavy, vague, and just didn't feel fast when you mashed it. They said I "peeled out" when I did u-turn, I guess the tires may have squealed ever so slightly, but I heard nothing form inside and felt no slippage. I didn't treat it like my WRX and try to just tear around the turn or anything, I was driving it a few ticks less than I'd drive my WRX for sure, but the thing just didn't feel anywhere near as fun, nor did it have the "kick in the rear" when you hit the turbo borderline with the AWD. The WRX was pushing 280-300hp at the crankshaft that point with it's relatively light weight (especially for AWD) just below 3300lbs, but that's only around 220-230 max at the wheels, usually those HP numbers lost around 60 or so to the awd drag. The 535 was probably pushing 330hp or more at the crankshaft to make around 300whp (pretty sure this is how bmw does it), but the 535 was a pig and the suspension just wasn't very impressive, it was smooth and compliant without being super wallow, but it just didn't have the grip or responsiveness.

WRX won all day long IMO in terms of being fun to drive. Even run-of-the-mill 325s are pretty darn fun to drive IME, the stiffer anti-sway bars compared to the WRX make them a blast and it shouldn't take a whole lot to make that suspension world-class. When you think about the wheel-hp in the 328s and the tighter suspension (compared to the 5-series), they were a blast. Stock 2008 and before WRXs were only putting out 170-190awhp, likely less than 328 in all cases. I'm talking 2006 and later (325s, 328s), and to be fair a used one that needs brakes and tires is going to be a lot of cash to outfit (which is why they are usually being sold).

Point is that some of the cars that are supposed to be "all that" aren't, like the 535 is not a bigger 335 with darn near the same handling and performance IME, while the 325 I mentioned above was a much better car for a driver IMO. The back seats are actually pretty generous for the size of the car, many times better than the WRX and can actually fit an adult.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
man, you guys either have the worst luck or don't take care of your cars.
I've had my b5 A4 for almost 11 years and haven't had any excessive repairs (for a 15yo car).
The older the audi the less problems it has. b5's were ok, problems started with b6 and same gen VW's.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm aware of all of that. Thing is, there never was a 335 wagon. If there was that would be an obvious frontrunner.
Fixed. If there was a 335 wagon I would own it already. There isn't much of an upgrade path for the 6 cyl 328 either. The newest 2.0T 328 might actually be a better choice for that, but too expensive.

It was interesting how much faster (and fun) my WRX wagon...stuff
But how does the WRX compare to BMW in terms of NVH, creaks/rattles, rough road handling?

I'm seriously considering one and need to go for a test drive, but at least in terms of interior quality and features I know it will be a step down from my Audi. However, being my Audi is 10 years old it has plenty of creaks, rattles, and the handling is, well far from a sporty car but better than your average American car.

I know, that is why I mentioned it...

I want something smaller and lighter than my allroad (A6 based). Volvo wagons are about the same size. I can fit bikes inside easily, but I still have to take the front wheel off for anything other than rigid fork bikes.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Are volvo transmissions crap? I've found a couple adds with something along the lines of "new/newer transmission". I would love to own a volvo wagon one day.
fookers are sealed with no dipstick you have to get them serviced on the proper mileage interval or they blow up and you are out 3-4000 for a new one installed

don't ask me how I know this:banghead:

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
here....not mentioned but a 4motion passat wagon that's already had the timing belt done....beat the **** out of it for another 60-70K and get rid of it.