Quantcast

B6 Audi A4?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Are volvo transmissions crap? I've found a couple adds with something along the lines of "new/newer transmission". I would love to own a volvo wagon one day.
Some of them are GM crap. I owned a S80 T6 for 10 years. GM transmission blew up at 100k miles. ECU blew up at 200k. You can transplant a newer used tranny when the original one fails, unfortunately, the ECU is a different story. RIP T6.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would love to own a volvo wagon one day.
I was waiting at a Volvo dealership for something when the salesmen talked me into driving the 850 turbo (1999ish). Wow, that was a crazy fun wagon, I actually considered buying one.

And whatever Dave gets, he has to bring back down to run some backroads.

<edit> I didn't get a pic of the M3 parked behind the 2 American penis cars at my house. :rofl:

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
to the OP like justin said i had a b6 s4 for about 3 years. It was my favorite car I have ever owned (2 jettas, bmw 330xi). I purchased it with about 40k and at about 89 I had the dreaded timing chain issue, cost me about $8500 to have fixed at the audi dealership (they were the only ones that would pull the motor). If you can find one with low miles they are a blast but DO NOT get into one of the higher mileage cars.

see all the yellow pieces? those are the guides that can crack and it requires an engine pull since that is up against the firewall.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I should have used the sarcasm button. They are seriously awesome cars to drive and I almost pulled the trigger on a really nice low mile RS4, but reading so many stories about issues they have kept me from doing it. I don't really mind maintenance work, but 90% of the crap they need requires you to pull the whole front end off or take the motor out to get to anything. F that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I should have used the sarcasm button. They are seriously awesome cars to drive and I almost pulled the trigger on a really nice low mile RS4, but reading so many stories about issues they have kept me from doing it. I don't really mind maintenance work, but 90% of the crap they need requires you to pull the whole front end off or take the motor out to get to anything. F that.
As a side note, you should see some of the issues with the C7 Corvette. :panic: First year run American car that was release a little too early. :rofl:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Some of them are GM crap. I owned a S80 T6 for 10 years. GM transmission blew up at 100k miles. ECU blew up at 200k. You can transplant a newer used tranny when the original one fails, unfortunately, the ECU is a different story. RIP T6.
The T6 transmission is the one with the issue. The T5 units are solid. One of the more reliable newer cars these days imo. Just run 5w40 synth and make sure the PCV is breathing. Can be made incredibly quick for cheap.

I made my 940SE very, very fast. But that's a whole other awesome ball game ;)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
As a side note, you should see some of the issues with the C7 Corvette. :panic: First year run American car that was release a little too early. :rofl:
Probably wouldn't bug me *as* much if it was under warranty. Although, I would still prefer to be driving my car than having it holed up in the service bay.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I was waiting at a Volvo dealership for something when the salesmen talked me into driving the 850 turbo (1999ish). Wow, that was a crazy fun wagon, I actually considered buying one.

And whatever Dave gets, he has to bring back down to run some backroads.

<edit> I didn't get a pic of the M3 parked behind the 2 American penis cars at my house. :rofl:
Owned two 850s. One was an R with every mod available to make it fast. Probably 300whp and manual. Was fun to drive and they are super easy to work on.

With IPD sways it wouldn't understeer either. But ultimately RWD IS more fun, so I went old school. There's a nice 2.8 E36 in my garage as well, but that's staying bone stock.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Found an '04 V70 R with 93k for $12k locally. Will try to arrange a drive tomorrow.
Awesome, well balanced wagons. Stock they are fast, with a chip and exhaust they are 280whp fast.... seriously.

Issues are the suspension is incredibly expensive if you replace with OEM (just go Konis if you do), and the AWD system in the earlier gen Rs were known to fail. Check to see if the rear dif is leaking, and the state of the tire wear on the rears. I don't remember when they switched to the better awd system (haldex?) but it may be 04 so research that.

Other than that they are reliable. The T5 is an incredibly solid motor. Just needs it's respective upkeep, and you NEED to run 5w40 synth. Any thicker and it doesn't flow as well. Also, the PCV will probably need sorting as they gunk up from the owners running dyno oil. Edit: Dino oil.....

If you want it to not understeer, IPD sways and it'll be very balanced. The aftermarket support is small, but prices are cheaper than most people realize. IPD, FCP Groton, and Tasca make OEM parts very, very cheap. Another plus is they are easy to fix yourself.

Last edited: