Quantcast

B6 Audi A4?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anybody have experience? Specifically a 3.0 manual avant Quattro. Inquiring minds would like to know.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It appears to have met an untimely demise at the hand of a red light running jackass.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i think blackohio was looking for one of those and ended up with a A6

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There's one listed on Autotrader near here. I'm intrigued. Certainly open to other options too, I liked the M3 but would prefer a wagon, but also don't want to give up a ton of sportiness for it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was looking at a used one. It had low miles and appeared to be in good shape. I took it to my mechanic and he showed me how the owner had beat the crap out of it. My guy told me that I would probably not be able to find one in my price range that wasn't either driven to oblivion by a housewife or their young male offspring. He explained to me that Audi's are expensive to maintain and most owners rarely spend the money to properly maintain them.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
do NOT get the 3.0 motor if avoidable. They're different to work on than any of the other options and cost more time/money to service.

I know finding a manual Avant is near impossible, but keep looking for a 2.0t or 3.2.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hm. Not many around here in the price range I'm hoping for- just the one 3.0 and a couple 1.8Ts.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
you want a car without variants the 2 door only offered with 2 doors or the 5 door only offered as 5 doors all kinds of cars come with wagon convertible and sedan options I don't like that. Miata is food for thought if you need a trailer get one it's like your trunk.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
B6 S4s seem surprisingly cheap. Are they problematic?
:rofl:

Well I had a B5 S4 and "problematic" doesn't even begin to cover what it was. It's my own fault though because I went Stage 3 and did all the work (I'm definitely not a pro).

Anyway, I have at least 200 hours under the hoods of Audis and I would probably get the 3.0 Avant as a daily driver. It won't be super reliable, but it will be the best you can get and still drive an Audi. God....I can't wait to get my next Audi - they're like a ridiculous addiction. I've been stuck with a VW TDI for the past few years and it's not nearly the same.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well I had a B5 S4 and "problematic" doesn't even begin to cover what it was. It's my own fault though because I went Stage 3 and did all the work (I'm definitely not a pro).
:rofl:

Yeah that doesn't count. :D

Anyway, I have at least 200 hours under the hoods of Audis and I would probably get the 3.0 Avant as a daily driver. It won't be super reliable, but it will be the best you can get and still drive an Audi. God....I can't wait to get my next Audi - they're like a ridiculous addiction. I've been stuck with a VW TDI for the past few years and it's not nearly the same.
I think I'll at least go look at it. I haven't driven one, I'd at least like to see what they feel like.

*Edit, I've driven a FWD 2.0T B6 a bit, but not a 3.0 Quattro.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sorry but those Jettas are one of the worst looking cars on the road, however we don't have whatever the hell that black thing was on the previous page.

Get a Skoda.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sorry but those Jettas are one of the worst looking cars on the road, however we don't have whatever the hell that black thing was on the previous page.

Get a Skoda.
The black thing is a Cadillac CTS V.

We don't get Skodas in the US.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Get a Skoda.
Hey new guy go into your settings and allow more post per page :)

Btw I dont' think the Jetta is that bad. Sexy its not.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
what about a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI?. We have had our a year and a half. no service issues and it rocks

No issues ? What year is that since newer VW and any other cars from connected brands Audi/Skoda can get stupid expensive problems not to mention some of the newer ones got them quite often. Don't know about differences between engines but friends who deal discouraged my gf from buying one and looking at a few people I know who own one I'm not surprised. They are a money pit.

If you look at those production years just avoid the fancy shamancy engines that came with those years in cars from yurp. Even if they are reliable - one problem and you may end up with a stupid high bill.

btw. If we are talking reliable why no one is talking here japanese cars? (though they too often break the shmancy engine rule)

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
No issues ? What year is that since newer VW and any other cars from connected brands Audi/Skoda can get stupid expensive problems not to mention some of the newer ones got them quite often. Don't know about differences between engines but friends who deal discouraged my gf from buying one and looking at a few people I know who own one I'm not surprised. They are a money pit.

If you look at those production years just avoid the fancy shamancy engines that came with those years in cars from yurp. Even if they are reliable - one problem and you may end up with a stupid high bill.

btw. If we are talking reliable why no one is talking here japanese cars? (though they too often break the shmancy engine rule)
We bought new, its either a 2011 or 2012. I'll take a look when she gets home. Only thing we have done since we bought it is oil and filter changes. There really isn't much that can go wrong with a Diesel engine.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We bought new, its either a 2011 or 2012. I'll take a look when she gets home. Only thing we have done since we bought it is oil and filter changes. There really isn't much that can go wrong with a Diesel engine.
Extremely high pressure pump (big one with diesel engines), fuel injectors, turbo, intercooler/tubing leaks, etc...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Its a 2012 TDI.

My Diesel Powered vehicles have been way more reliable and have had much lower maintenance costs than my gas powered ones. Diesel 2003 F350 and the TDI, gas: 2000 4 runner, 1998 Boxster, 2008 Mini S, 2001 Volvo XC70

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
S4 wagon :)

Actually saw one the other night and made me totally want. Sorry about the M dude. Hopefully insurance takes care of you.

On a side note, the RS4 is one of the most awesome cars I have ever driven as far as being well-rounded.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My advice. Get something cool. You'll have plenty of time for an über mileage mobile.

Or get a cheap second car to drive all over.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My advice. Get something cool. You'll have plenty of time for an über mileage mobile.

Or get a cheap second car to drive all over.
Yeah. I'm going to look at both that 3.0 A4 and an S4 sedan after work tomorrow. I'd definitely prefer a wagon over the sedan but I'll at least use that to gauge my interest in an S4 in general.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
But when it does it's that more expensive than petrol or at least older petrol since the newer ones are really trying to be diesel engines. I know a lot of my family drove passats as company cars and the b6 and b7 can get nasty (the 2.0 TDI) and really expensive though a friend had to pay even more for his TSI.

I have little experience with Subarus but weren't they suppose to be reliable or has that ended as well?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Maybe. But I don't need a Electrical Engineering Masters and an FCC license to figure out why using the windshield wipers makes the left head light turn on, and the rear passenger door to lock, like HAB's going to need if he buys an Audi.
mmike did own a jeep and a vw....hmmmmm....