Quantcast

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I opened up four bottles of wine last night that I had been "cellaring" for a special occasion. Three 2000 bourdeauxs and one 01 Hartford pinot noir. Each bottle was AT LEAST $20...

and each one had spoiled.

:dead:

Oh well, $80 red wine reduction sauce here I come....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
temperature change. I had them in a box in a dark closet, but I guess it wasn't dark or stable enough. There were a couple of times our heat failed or my roomate was using the stove and oven with the windows closed in 80 degree heat with the AC off...that was neat. I didn't intend to keep them forever, just a year or two mostly to enjoy over that period...

green glass and I purchased them when I left the liqour store I worked at.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
temperature change. I had them in a box in a dark closet, but I guess it wasn't dark or stable enough. There were a couple of times our heat failed or my roomate was using the stove and oven with the windows closed in 80 degree heat with the AC off...that was neat. I didn't intend to keep them forever, just a year or two mostly to enjoy over that period...

green glass and I purchased them when I left the liqour store I worked at.
If they were stored vertically it would have caused the cork to dry and shrink allowing air in. Always store in a horizontal position to keep the cork moist

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
My dad gave me 2 1993 Sutters (something or another...) merlot's that he had under the kitchen sink. He completely forgot that they were there. My dad hasn't drank since 1995. Yummy city. Last year, bottle 1 lasted about an hour between me and my date. Bottle 2 sits in the deepest darkest corner of one of my cupboards... far away from any heat source. (lying down on its side of course)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you talkin bout sutter home wine, brah?

"cellaring" hence the quotes. Mostly holding onto for a special occasion, but yeah, I got what I deserved.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
It always makes me laugh when I see people buy magnums of Sutter Homes and Livingston Cellar. The coup de gras for hilarity is the gallon jugs of Gallo Rossi.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Ripple don't spoil, but I have had a few bottles of Cold Duck go bad...

bummer, I feel your pain.