Quantcast

Baboon, how was the ride home or If the Baboon can do it so can I

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
'Morning! Did my first ever bike commute today. I drove 1/3 of the way, parked and Stop n Shop, and biked the rest. 21 miles, 1:20 ride time, averaged 15.9 MPH. WOO HOO! It was like 35 degrees when I started. Fock was I cold!

So How was the ride home?

Today, I did my first ever commute to my present job's location!!

Depature:
time=5:30am
wind=nada
temp=39

It was pretty cool to be on the road with such little traffic, my hands and legs were damn cold (I had shorts on) but with the help of some hills I warmed up, lots of pedaling, I was trying to push being i am the one that opens the gate to the parking lot and unlocks the office......with about 8 miles to go my feet became 2 iceburgs...thankfully the last 4 miles is a very slight decline

20.75 miles
1:14
16.8 avg

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Very cool, Doug (no pun intended)! Get yourself some ulra-nerdy roadie full length padded spandex. They kept my legs warm. :)

My ride home was very good...I enjoyed it better than the ride in, probably because it was 25 degrees warmer. My legs were getting tired though and I was really happy when I got back to my car. 21.2 miles, 1:22 ride time, 15.3 MPH avg (I averaged 15.9 in the morning).

I liked riding into work, but I really don't know if it is worth all the effort of lugging extra food, clothes, toiletries, towel, shoes, etc into work, when I can just drive into work, leave an hour early, and put in 30-40 miles when I get home.

splat

Nam I am
Nice work Doug , Good Job Boon

I always Enjoy the ride home More too! and Once you get in a routine of Commuting you get used to the extra stuff you have to carry , you get 2nd sets of things to keep at the office and So on, and with the price of Gas these days !

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
Very cool, Doug (no pun intended)! Get yourself some ulra-nerdy roadie full length padded spandex. They kept my legs warm. :)

My ride home was very good...I enjoyed it better than the ride in, probably because it was 25 degrees warmer. My legs were getting tired though and I was really happy when I got back to my car. 21.2 miles, 1:22 ride time, 15.3 MPH avg (I averaged 15.9 in the morning).

I liked riding into work, but I really don't know it is worth all the effort of lugging extra food, clothes, toiletries, towel, shoes, etc into work, when I can just drive into work, leave an hour early, and put in 30-40 miles when I get home.

I have pants I could have worn, but I didnt want to carry shorts or have to wear the pants on the way home

The dumb part was I have, not sure what they are called, they basically go over your shoe to keep the wind/cold out but I never thought of using them

I did 90 minutes on the xc bike yesterday, I hope my legs will last for the ride home - but the ride home should be more fun, its suppose to be 65 and I have no time constraints/office to open or worry about

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
douglas said:
The dumb part was I have, not sure what they are called, they basically go over your shoe to keep the wind/cold out but I never thought of using them
I have those shoe covers too, but my feet actually stayed warm wearing just wool bike socks. My hands got very cold and numb, and I had on windproof gloves.

You'll be fine on the ride home. Remember, you're Dalton Doug! :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nice work guys.:thumb:

I feel guilty not riding my bike to work but it is so close the 2 mile ride does not seem worth the hassle of trying to carry all my crap.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
splat said:
for a 2 mile ride , you should just get a Ballon tire Cruiser
I really don't need another bike. Maybe I could use my downhill bike that I have never ridden.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I got a kick out of your comments about the ride home being better than the ride to work.....of course it's better - you are riding home vs. riding to your Job! ;)

Nice job to all you commuting monkeys.

Had a pretty fun road ride last night with Laura and MBC - I think MBC said we did 17 miles (and there were a few good hills thrown into those 17).

MMcG said:
I got a kick out of your comments about the ride home being better than the ride to work.....of course it's better - you are riding home vs. riding to your Job! ;)

Nice job to all you commuting monkeys.

Had a pretty fun road ride last night with Laura and MBC - I think MBC said we did 17 miles (and there were a few good hills thrown into those 17).

I'm such a fat a$$

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Westy said:
Nice work guys.:thumb:

I feel guilty not riding my bike to work but it is so close the 2 mile ride does not seem worth the hassle of trying to carry all my crap.
2 mile ride.. and u drive??? thers gotta be a way to bike in from that distance :rolleyes:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
douglas said:
I have pants I could have worn, but I didnt want to carry shorts or have to wear the pants on the way home
You want knee warmers. Best of both worlds. If they're too hot when you're riding you can just pull them down, or take them off and shove them in a pocket. Arm warmers are another good investment.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
wooglin said:
You want knee warmers. Best of both worlds. If they're too hot when you're riding you can just pull them down, or take them off and shove them in a pocket. Arm warmers are another good investment.

good idea, any problems with them staying up?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
douglas said:
good idea, any problems with them staying up?
I wear them with lycra shorts on long trail rides all the time, no problem. The inside of the elasitic on the top of the knee warmers has some rubber, plus the elastic on the shorts helps too. I also wear them with baggies on my commute. Since its all pavement there's no bouncing around and again no problems.

Those PI ones are probably pretty expensive. I use the REI house brand but was too lazy to go find a photo.