Quantcast

Baby Shoot

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
So finally i'm being paid (not much) for a Baby/Family shoot... the baby is 6 months old.... I am shooting with my Nikon D300, Nikon 50mm 1.8 & my Nikon 70-200vr 2.8...

i only have 2 flashes, no umbrellas or anything fancy and we plan on taking the shots in Central Park (hope we have Clear Blue Skies) & In their apartment...

help?

these are my flashes.... i really suck at shooting families and people.... my last shoot:

My Question is what can i do to make my images superb, i have great, top of the line equipment....

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Ordering me a Set os AlienBees B800 & umbrellas soon /Soft boxes soon.
You don't need any of that unless you are setting up a straight studio only, seriously.

$279 for the alienbees alone will get you a used SB-800 or another pocketwizard plus II transceiver.

SB-800/900's an umbrella, homemade snoots and baffle and a swiveling umbrella holder. Save your money for more glass or more flashes w/ pocket wizards.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yep, you'll be fine with speedlights, especially with one subject, unless you need to overpower sunlight at f/16...

Umbrellas is the way to go.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i agree. the baby shoot i did a few weeks ago, i used two flashes w/ umbrellas.

im doing a few more baby shoots too and im using the same setup.

babies can be a pain to shoot, since they go from pissed to happy in the blink of a eye.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
yes... i will, the shoot is this weekend....

here is a fun shot i took today of my daughter, she is a true sport!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
got some great idea from a Few strobists sites... :-)

thanks for hooking me up with that one site!
No problem. It's amazing how much better your photography will be when some of the top people in the biz are very generous with their thought process and ideas.

My biggest moment was when I got to work with Joe Mcnally. One day with him was like reading 100 books and practicing for a year.