Quantcast

Back from 10 day honeymoon in NZ. I even got some lift riding in :)...pic heavy.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
So my wife and I took a delayed honeymoon after getting married in October. She doesn't get much vacation, so we took off Weds night before Thanksgiving to get some extra days in. Our last few trips have been tropical, so she let me plan the honeymoon. I chose New Zealand. For those that have never been, if you enjoy the outdoors, you will literally have a chubby the whole time. It's an adventure playground. Everything from bikes to snow to paragliding to hiking. Basically, anything you can think of. Queenstown has lift serviced DH trails literally a 5 minute walk from downtown.

We landed in Christchurch (which is still hampered from the earthquakes) and stayed there for two days. The first night I thought my new bride was going to choke me out or stab me in my sleep. Our flight arrived around midnight. We weren't able to get a rental car from the airport, as they were all booked. I wasn't too worried about it and we took a shuttle to the motel we were staying at. The guy drops us off and takes off. We walk up to the reception and there's no one there. Come to find out the next day that hotels/motels are typically operated by the owners and have a closing time :(. So we walk out to another street only to see nothing but 'No Vacancy' signs. I found out the next day that the places all had rooms, but they turn the signs on when they close. So we wander the street for about 30 minutes and run into this girl and ask her if she knows anywhere that's open. Long story short, she is staying at a hostel about a 10 minute walk from where our motel is. She invites us to stay in the TV room and sleep on the couch. So, the first night of our honeymoon, we slept on a couch in a hostel.:rofl:

After that, we knew to call ahead if we were coming in late to places. We got a rental car no problem. Our trip consisted of driving from Christchurch to Franz-Joseph Glaciers through Arthur's Pass, then to Queenstown, across to Dunedin and back up to Christchurch. We stayed on the south island.

We did this Sunday:
Christchurch Pathways challenges - Adrenalin forest - High wire course, adventure park in forest

Monday:
Adventure Trailrides : New Zealand Motorcycle Tour, Off Road Motorbike Dirt Adventure, Motocross Motor Bike

Tuesday:
Fox Glacier Guided Glacier Walks New Zealand Glacier Guiding Mountaineering New Zealand Glaciers

Wednesday (I rode, she went to the spa):
Vertigo Bikes – Guided Mountain Bike Tours Queenstown New Zealand, Bike Rentals | Vertigo Bikes

Thursday:
Larnach Castle & Gardens

Friday drove back up to Christchurch, had dinner and got some sleep for an early flight out Saturday morn.

And some videos.

New Zealand Trailriding on Vimeo

Queenstown DH - YouTube

Bottom of Vertigo.MP4 - YouTube

And pics I'll post when they are done uploading.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You're a lucky man. I can't see my lady being cool with that whole adventure.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
She didn't really like the driving. We crammed in a lot in a short amount of time. I think 2 weeks would have been good to do the same trip. There wouldn't have been as much driving and a little more relaxing. On Tuesday, we woke up at 4:30, left at 5am, I drove 5 hours to the glacier, we did the heli-hike, then I drove another 5 hours to Queenstown. That was a long day.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Looks like you had fun. Run into an Hobbits while you were there?
The other guy on our moto adventure was from the UK. He said they were actually filming the latest movie, which I guess is a prequel. He said they followed some signs and got to check out a bit of it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For that honeymoon even I would want to be your wife ;) Great trip. Congrats on having such a great missus.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Thanks all. It was a great trip and I can't wait to go back. It is probably the only place I have visited so far where I could have just stayed and not came home. The lady and I were already talking about buying property there at some point. I could easily see myself living in Queenstown for a couple months at a time when I retire or heading there for family vacations.