Quantcast

back from jamaica

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
well we are back from jamaica. it was a really fun trip. we ate some really good food and saw some amazing sunsets. drank tons of fruity rum drinks.

we went up to the cliffs but were too chicken to jump off. swam in an ocean cave which was scary enough. didn't go snorkeling or para sailing but i really want to do that next time we visit.

someone at the hotel stole both our credit card and check card numbers and charged over 5000 dollars worth of crap on them before we could get them both cancelled. luckily we weren't there too long or we would have been cashless.

the people we met were nice, the weather was amazing, and the beach was sweet. i fell in love despite the money fiasco. we are planning a trip back next year.

i'll put some pictures up later. they are being extremely difficult right now.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
laura said:
someone at the hotel stole both our credit card and check card numbers and charged over 5000 dollars worth of crap on them before we could get them both cancelled.
My sister in law had the same thing happen when she was in India.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
laura said:
nah we aren't. got the money back in the checking account today.

as for the pictures, i can't get them to upload.

Good to hear. You probably ended up saving money in the long run.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
hooples3 said:
welcome back.. where did you stay?? glad to hear you had a good time

the sea splash resort. it was pretty but i think next time we are going to camp across the street for 5 bucks a night and not get out credit cards stolen.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
we were looking to go to jamiaca this feb for a getaway.. i havent been there ofr a long time.. did you leave the resort at all?? i have heard some horrible stories of theft and mayhem once you leave the resort.. people have said its not he safest thing to do.
I may just go back to Costa Rica again

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
hooples3 said:
i have heard some horrible stories of theft and mayhem once you leave the resort.. people have said its not he safest thing to do.
The crime centers around the areas they know the tourists are in. Stay away from the touristy areas and you're fine. My wife and I stayed in a tiny resort located in a fishing village on the southern coast. The people were awesome. We hiked and biked all over the place. We also spent a day with some locals taking part in a weekend ritual: football (England vs. France on this day), beer, and conch soup, followed by a pickup game, then a community cookout (jerk chicken/pork with rice and peas). I can't wait to go back.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
we spent all of our time outside of the resort. we stayed on the beach a lot but we went out exploring too. we went into negril which seemed kind of seedy, and then went up on the cliffs. there was no theft or mayhem to be found. the police officers with automatic weapons were unnerving but we never had any trouble.

seriously most of the people we met were so super nice, and the cab drivers were great for advice on where and where not to go, how to handle the hustlers, and other useful info.

i've never been to costa rica so i couldn't compare, but in jamaica there are the resorts, and then there is the rest of jamaica, and they are two separate worlds. i definitely prefer the rest of jamaica to the resorts.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
laura said:
i definitely prefer the rest of jamaica to the resorts.
No doubt. :thumb:

Here's some pics I took while there:

Our room

From the front

View from the porch

The boat

that took us to the bar

which was located on a sandbar 1/2 mile offshore.

A local swimming hole

A local swimmer

:)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Nice tropical paradise mon. i'm glad you guys did'nt' get any pictures developed showing the theives with your toothbrushes up thier tookers. haha ;)

Next time go snorkeling, i got to do it Maui and my original thought was "meh i do it for the woman", now i'd jump at the chance to swim wit da fishies.:D

Sep 10, 2001
I was just in Ocho Rios on my honeymoon a few weeks back.... Unbelievable.... I had such a good time... I can't wait to go back...

Bummer about the cards, but at least you got it all handled...

Brian

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
BikeGeek said:
No doubt. :thumb:

Here's some pics I took while there:

Our room

From the front

View from the porch

The boat

that took us to the bar

which was located on a sandbar 1/2 mile offshore.

A local swimming hole

A local swimmer

:)
that looks amazing. that is where i want to be next time. where is that? we will be investigating heavily before we go back next time. resort areas creep me out.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
laura said:
that looks amazing. that is where i want to be next time. where is that? we will be investigating heavily before we go back next time. resort areas creep me out.
The place is called Jake's and it's in Treasure Beach. Very cool vibe. The staff was super friendly, and with only 18 rooms, everyone knew your name. There's a little place right on the beach a short walk from the resort that serves pizza, fresh seafood, and beers at super cheap prices. Except for the ice cream. I think the ice cream was $600J (about $10), but my curried conch, salad, and beer was only $500J. They also have live music or a DJ well into the night. We found out about the resort through Outside magazine's "Best of the Caribbean" issue. The only complaint was that when they say something is "local" that could mean it's an hour away. :)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
hooples3 said:
jakes looks awesome.. i will def check it out
I was worried at first. It's a pretty hairy 2.5 hour car ride from the airport and when we arrived in the town, I was like "this is it?" But, it was cool. Go during the "on" season if you can swing it. There's more going on (bands, art festivals, etc.) Off season if you really just want to relax and are happy to sit by the pool or go for a hike.

Like I said, the people are awesome. We met some local fishermen on the beach one morning and they invited us to join them for a breakfast of fresh red snapper, rice, and mangos. We sat around their fire eating, joking, and laughing like we were lifelong friends.

Here's more about the area.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Atomic Dog said:
Mmm...sounds great!

I leave for my honeymoon in 2 1/2 weeks. 7 days in Belize with nothing on the agenda but lounging around in a hammock and drinking rum.
Hey you lurker!!!#$)(%)@

Congrats on your hitchin, hopefully see you and the new bride for a shuttle run of Little Bald Mountain next summer.:)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
laura said:
someone at the hotel stole both our credit card and check card numbers and charged over 5000 dollars worth of crap on them before we could get them both cancelled. luckily we weren't there too long or we would have been cashless.
Next time you guys travel, or anyone for that matter, look into the CashCard offered by AAA. You don't have to be a member (there is a discount on the card activation fee I think....it's a one time only deal...like $10 bucks er somethin....) and it helped enormously with our honeymoon to Thailand and Cambodia....We didn't take any of our credit or bank cards and all you have to do is put a set amount on it and you're able to access it at almost any ATM in the world. You can even add money to it from your bank account online without having to worry about fraud...Just a thought! Glad you guys had a good time!

smorba

Chimp
Dec 14, 2006
I just joined Ridemonkey tonight so missed this thread totally. Me and a couple of friends are putting on a Fat Tyre Festival in the Ocho Rios area of Jamaica in February, see the 'press release' below. We are basing the event in Ocho Rios cos it's easier, lots of accommodation, easy transfers etc but our rides will be heading to places that few tourists ever reach, it's going to be fun!

The St. Mary Off-Road Bicycling Association (SMORBA) is pleased to announce that the coolest mountain bike event on the planet is back! The 9th Annual Jamaica Fat Tyre Festival is set for February 8-11 in the lush, tropical mountains of St. Mary. This year’s event will feature even more of the “irie vibes” that led Rob Story from BIKE magazine to proclaim that riding in Jamaica: “doesn’t remove you from people; it enables you to meet them in strange places under sublime circumstances” (BIKE, June 1997, p. 63)
The Festival is set to kick off with a welcome and registration party on the evening of February 7th at John Crow Tavern. This will also be our meeting spot each morning and is located in the heart of Ocho Rios - the vibes capital of Jamaica’s beautiful north coast. The first full day of riding will take participants, including our invited pro riders, deep into rural Jamaica near Robin’s Bay, St. Mary. These amazing, technical singletracks are the same trails that were featured in the June 2006 issue of Mountain Bike Magazine. The day will culminate with a complimentary meal and soiree at Robin’s Bay Beach Hotel.
February 9th will see riders trek to Pimento Hill in St Mary, for a more relaxed day of singletrack, downhills, and waterfalls, ending at Black Sand Beach where a meal of roast breadfruit and other local dishes will be prepared by local SMORBA dude, Natty Grant. In what will almost certainly become a favorite tradition of the JaFTF, local fishermen will shuttle riders from the beach to the pick up point by boat!
On the 10th riders will shuttle up to Murphy Hill, perched high above Ocho Rios. After taking in the view it will be time to let brakes overheat on the blistering descent to world reknown Dunn’s River Falls. After regrouping at John Crow’s, the crew heads out to the friendly communities of Oracabessa, Hamilton Mtn, and Jacks River. Checking out SMORBA’s trails in western St. Mary is sure to prepare riders for the after-ride relaxation at famous James Bond Beach and Stingray City in Oracabessa.
February 11th will be local Jamaican’s day to shine with the staging of the National Rambo (local slang for mountain bikes) Bicycling Championships in Hamilton Mtn. SMORBA is expecting over 50 local riders to compete for the honor of being named National Champion. Of course, overseas guests will be encouraged to pit their skills against those of our local ‘intuitive’ riders in a spirit of semi-serious, healthy competition!
Spots for this year’s Festival are limited, so if you are interested in attending, or need more information, drop us a line at smorbaja@hotmail.com or contact Marshall Paul at madmantours@hotmail.com