Quantcast

Back from the Dead (build)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yeti dh9 from ebay, got a great deal (because the seller left all the broken, ripped, and ****ty looking stickers on it, as well as showed pictures of the two demolished wheels that came on it) I am sure alot of you think im crazy but i have been a firm believer in lawill suspension (although i dont like the fact that the rotec is concentric), so i figured, why not give it a shot. So far it rides great, i mostly like the braking on it, and the fact its got a nice 9 inches of travel and its big (plow bike?) i dont have a ton of time on it, but its pretty good, wonder why yeti dropped it, the 303 dh was a POS in my expierience, this rides way better. Sold the karpiel for it because although the kariel rode nice, i couldnt get the bars low enough because of the huge gussets. (canfield drop stem and flat bars)Bring the hate!

medium DH9
fox 40 rc2
823 rims with ust minions DHF
hadley rear hub and syncros front
saint cranks with the E13 freechucker
saint brakes
5050XX pedals
saint derailur and shifter
thompson post
chris king headset
sunline bars with canfield stem
odi grips
WTB seat and whatever 9 speed chain comes on a bam

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That bike rode great particularly at speed. Out of curiosity, what did you pay?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
for the frame (only needs DU bushings and has been covered in 3m tape since it was new)
thompson elite post
azonic loveseat
hadley rear wheel with beat rim
and a front wheel with a beat rim(forgot the hub)
105 derailiur and shifter (trash)
old orange mrp guide (pre iscg lol) (frame doesnt have it either)
chris king headset

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
not a clue how to measure it, id guess 64. unfortunately i dont have a fancy eyephone with angle measure-ers
Who cares what HA its got? Go shred!

That bike looks sick! I bet with the modern build kit that bike still rides fairly well compared to the latest/greatest racerboy tincan.

Props.

(And btw, don't ever use the iPhone leveling app--it's horrible. Grab a tape measure and a calculator instead--way more accurate)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am hoping it will ride great, i got it mostly for high speed courses and chose this over other plow bikes because of the lawill linkage and amazing braking. Anybody know what shocks i can put on here, id guess any that are the same size, but i dont know if its progressive/regressive and if anybody had shock recomendations or DU bushing size info

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That is an awesome find. Great deal, great bike. I truly believe it's a shame yeti dropped the lawwill design. I've looked for one myself, but they're mostly in collectors' hands or ruined at this point. Looks loooooooooong

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I am hoping it will ride great, i got it mostly for high speed courses and chose this over other plow bikes because of the lawill linkage and amazing braking. Anybody know what shocks i can put on here, id guess any that are the same size, but i dont know if its progressive/regressive and if anybody had shock recomendations or DU bushing size info
I'm sure PUSH would know. Either send Darren an email or just send that shock to them. They do fantastic work with the VanRC (if that is what that shock is...?). I got the one that was on my old Karpiel done and it turned it into a whole new beast. independent compression/rebound and tuned specifically for the leverage curve of the bike, cant ask for much else...

and send it to this guy for new powdercoat...

Figure Engineering

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I am sure alot of you think im crazy but i have been a firm believer in lawill suspension (although i dont like the fact that the rotec is concentric)
You do know that the Lawwill design was originally and always for a concentric BB pivot, right?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The original lawwill design was, yes, but the most successful Yeti designed bikes were not. Would love to spend some time on a rotec anyways...

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
You do know that the Lawwill design was originally and always for a concentric BB pivot, right?

Lawwill might have intended it as such, but it certainly is not a necessity of the suspension design.

Its really just a Short Long Arm Double Wishbone setup from a car, used for the rear suspension of a bicycle. Many possibilities, and the "top" frame pivot location is just as important as the "main" pivot location.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
yes, but among many other factors, the last concentric bike i had pedaled and braked like a POS, and the rotec is considerably more expensive, especially if i take off 200 for the post and headset it came with. the reviews i found were better for the yeti anyway, so ima give it a try. alot of positive vibes on here, so it looks like this was a good decision. :weee:

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Great bike. I miss mine :(
Keep an eye out for cracks mine cracked under the down tube near the head tube and also on the back of the seat stay near the top pivot. Although mine was an ex Yeti factory team bike and was apparently lighter wall?? And I am a hack :)

Also be real carefull with the pinch bolts on the eccentric shock adjust. they crack around the bolt heads there.
They were a whacked out size too. I rode an extra small which was the same geo as a medium sunday cockpit wise.
Enjoy!

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
old orange mrp guide (pre iscg lol) (frame doesnt have it either)
t
ISCG was around when E-Type (pre ISCG lol) guides were produced. There are still frames produced without ISCG/ISCG05 tabs.

but then again there are people on here who have been around bikes for 10 plus years.

BTW don't take that the wrong way, just hate when people don't really know what they are talking about.

And I LOVE YOUR BIKE, and am slightly jealous (big yeti fan) just sold of my Prototype Yeti ASR with bushings instead of bearings ETC.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
^ I guess I could add that I remember a time when not everyone wore Nike 6.0s listened to rap, said yeah meng, and External bearing bottom brackets were just starting in development. Anyone remember square drive? Lugged frames?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i started riding DH in 2005, it was before my time, is there a chainguide that i could buy for this (not that i plan to) that still fits onto that?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Great bike. I miss mine :(
Keep an eye out for cracks mine cracked under the down tube near the head tube and also on the back of the seat stay near the top pivot. Although mine was an ex Yeti factory team bike and was apparently lighter wall?? And I am a hack :)
What he said... Those things rode so nice, and especially under braking. But watch out for cracks in them if you're doing anything silly. If you were thinking of a respray I'd go polished or something just for that reason.

Awesome find though and a great price.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
i started riding DH in 2005, it was before my time, is there a chainguide that i could buy for this (not that i plan to) that still fits onto that?
there are ISCG03 and 05 adapters to sandwich between BB cup and frame.

I am still on my 07 VPF using a 10 SRS+ on ISCG 03 adapter! No good for LG1+ I'd say, but otherwise n/p (except the occasional rotation when you MASH something)

Great frames, great suspension; the 02-03 Schwinns were really sick; more modern frame proportions, but really thin tubes that liked to bend in easy diggeres.