Quantcast

Back in the Land of Shitty Drivers and Cargo Shorts

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Arrived about 60 days ago... fvck me.
Denver real estate is a genuine sh!t show.

However, I've managed to hit up Streamboat already.

19894576_10211147964793947_7727947466010699053_n.jpg

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
why i left LA. and NJ.
To be fair, Denver home prices are getting there. It's spilling over down here, which is great for me if we ever decide to sell this place. Some new kid at work bought a place close enough I can almost hit it with a baseball from my front yard and paid damn near twice what we paid for this place 12 years ago. It has one more bedroom than our house, but damn.......

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
why i left LA. and NJ.
Pre real estate market crash my old company wanted me to move to LA. At the time my house in Va would have sold for $150K. I was looking at least 3 to 4 times that for a place in LA. I asked my company how much of a raise I was going to get. The response was zero. The corporate policy was to adjust income not based on cost of living but average salaries for the regions. Average engineering salary is actually lower in LA than it was in a smallish Virginia town in the middle of no where. I obviously told them to GTFO.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
The corporate policy was to adjust income not based on cost of living but average salaries for the regions. Average engineering salary is actually lower in LA than it was in a smallish Virginia town in the middle of no where. I obviously told them to GTFO.
Ah, just like medicine. Make big $$ out in Bumfuck, Nowhere or live somewhere nice. I could make 2-2.5x what I make here if I went to, say, Shreveport... but :nonooncat.gif:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ah, just like medicine. Make big $$ out in Bumfuck, Nowhere or live somewhere nice. I could make 2-2.5x what I make here if I went to, say, Shreveport... but :nonooncat.gif:
big cities are overrated.

I´ve lived in Lima., Bumfuck, Alabama and New York and have done somewhat extensive travelling/business to Sao Paulo, Frankfurt, Nagoya, Tokyo, Houston, etc... and I´d seriously move to Bumfuck, Nowhere if i could.

Cities like Fairhope, Alabama or the small towns outside Stuttgart or Munich are the kind of places I dream of when I retire...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
big cities are overrated.
I like having a good symphony orchestra to listen to. I like having good community/semi-pro music groups to perform with. I like having good Thai food. And have you noticed that I'm half Japanese? I like being around other Asian people so that there exist Asian markets and the like.

These things are likely highly incompatible with Fairhope, AL, I'm guessing.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The key is to be a little way out of a medium-sized urban centre. Like Montreal. An hour out of town, and there's plenty of secluded nature. But there's a chinatown, a symphony orchestra, and decent jobs (if you speak french). Where I live (Ottawa), is a big little city. There's all those amenities, and the forest is less than a 20 minute drive away. My wife and I debated at length whether to live in the forest and commute in, or live in town and commute to the forest. we chose to be central because we didn't want to have to be taxis for our kids until they were old enough to drive. but it was a very close decision.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Happily I found fooled a company that appreciated my rather niche skills enough to cover the COL difference between here and Va. It wouldn't have been worth it if not for the current lack of stress and no fucks required lifestyle.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The key is to be a little way out of a medium-sized urban centre. Like Montreal. An hour out of town, and there's plenty of secluded nature. But there's a chinatown, a symphony orchestra, and decent jobs (if you speak french). Where I live (Ottawa), is a big little city. There's all those amenities, and the forest is less than a 20 minute drive away. My wife and I debated at length whether to live in the forest and commute in, or live in town and commute to the forest. we chose to be central because we didn't want to have to be taxis for our kids until they were old enough to drive. but it was a very close decision.
very true.
Huge cities like New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, London feel like they never actually end (at least not within "reasonable" distances from the center).

Even if you get 3-4 hours away from the city center; you still feel the big-city negative vibes (that is, if you actually reach the outside of the city in less than 4 hours). thats my main problem with big cities.

transit and commutes. If you arent wealthy (as in dont have to actually work, or punch hours somewhere to make a living), a huge city eats 1/3 of your non-working hours in transit/commute. thats just insane.

medium sized cities still get some of the perks of big cities and some of bumfuck, nowhere too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
very true.
Huge cities like New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, London feel like they never actually end (at least not within "reasonable" distances from the center).

Even if you get 3-4 hours away from the city center; you still feel the big-city negative vibes (that is, if you actually reach the outside of the city in less than 4 hours). thats my main problem with big cities.

transit and commutes. If you arent wealthy (as in dont have to actually work, or punch hours somewhere to make a living), a huge city eats 1/3 of your non-working hours in transit/commute. thats just insane.

medium sized cities still get some of the perks of big cities and some of bumfuck, nowhere too.
It seems that Denver may really just be a big town by this definition...