Quantcast

Back in the Land of Shitty Drivers and Cargo Shorts

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
When MLK has been gentrified, you know something has changed.
Denver's MLK Blvd runs right through Stapleton. It used to be shitty neighborhoods next to an airport. Now it's shitty neighborhoods then a bright and shiny neighborhood filled with yuppies then a shitty neighborhood on the other side once again.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
It seems that Denver may really just be a big town by this definition...
It's shocking to see all the open space right outside of Denver when one comes from someplace like Seattle, let alone NY or Tokyo.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
crappy big-city trivia.

Santiago is about 2000 miles away from Lima. Its a bit less than a 4 hour flight.

the HQ for the company I work for is in Santiago.
Whenever I go there; the time spent in taxis (rush hour) from my house to the Lima Airport and from Santiago´s Airport to the HQ is roughly equivalent to the time spent in the 2000-mile flight.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Denver's MLK Blvd runs right through Stapleton. It used to be shitty neighborhoods next to an airport. Now it's shitty neighborhoods then a bright and shiny neighborhood filled with yuppies then a shitty neighborhood on the other side once again.
Sounds like ours! COPS was filmed on MLK and 82nd back in the 90's. 82nd is still sketch, but Mt Tabor (really spendy now) has spilled all the way to it. The very northern section and southern sections of MLK are still sketch, but a lot has changed in the middle

Last edited:
The key is to be a little way out of a medium-sized urban centre. Like Montreal. An hour out of town, and there's plenty of secluded nature. But there's a chinatown, a symphony orchestra, and decent jobs (if you speak french). Where I live (Ottawa), is a big little city. There's all those amenities, and the forest is less than a 20 minute drive away. My wife and I debated at length whether to live in the forest and commute in, or live in town and commute to the forest. we chose to be central because we didn't want to have to be taxis for our kids until they were old enough to drive. but it was a very close decision.
very true.
Huge cities like New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, London feel like they never actually end (at least not within "reasonable" distances from the center).

Even if you get 3-4 hours away from the city center; you still feel the big-city negative vibes (that is, if you actually reach the outside of the city in less than 4 hours). thats my main problem with big cities.

transit and commutes. If you arent wealthy (as in dont have to actually work, or punch hours somewhere to make a living), a huge city eats 1/3 of your non-working hours in transit/commute. thats just insane.

medium sized cities still get some of the perks of big cities and some of bumfuck, nowhere too.
Try Burlington, VT.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My soon to be former company pays based on position with no consideration for cost of living, those of us that prefer the sticks have it pretty good so long as we can keep the doors open.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I want to live in a vibrant small city like Ithaca or Burlington if the winters weren't soul crushing like they are. I cannot handle even 1 day at -10 d as a high temperature.
How the hell are your current winters any better than Ithaca or Burlington?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The key is to be a little way out of a medium-sized urban centre. Like Montreal. An hour out of town, and there's plenty of secluded nature. But there's a chinatown, a symphony orchestra, and decent jobs (if you speak french). Where I live (Ottawa), is a big little city. There's all those amenities, and the forest is less than a 20 minute drive away. My wife and I debated at length whether to live in the forest and commute in, or live in town and commute to the forest. we chose to be central because we didn't want to have to be taxis for our kids until they were old enough to drive. but it was a very close decision.
Sounds like where I live. I live on the edge of (or slightly in) farm country. 45 minutes to work via freeway down in the city and its 45 minutes in the other direction to awesome single track. Being in the middle of both is a compromise I can tolerate. But damn, the asshatery vibe of Toronto spreads way beyond its physical reaches...especially on weekends when all the city slickers come out of hibernation.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I want to live in a vibrant small city like Ithaca or Burlington if the winters weren't soul crushing like they are. I cannot handle even 1 day at -10 d as a high temperature.
Sounds like you're not a skier...

Sounds like where I live. I live on the edge of (or slightly in) farm country. 45 minutes to work via freeway down in the city and its 45 minutes in the other direction to awesome single track. Being in the middle of both is a compromise I can tolerate. But damn, the asshatery vibe of Toronto spreads way beyond its physical reaches...especially on weekends when all the city slickers come out of hibernation.
45 minutes?! I'm a five minute bike ride from work! And an 11 minute drive from a trailhead (on a good day)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ah, just like medicine. Make big $$ out in Bumfuck, Nowhere or live somewhere nice. I could make 2-2.5x what I make here if I went to, say, Shreveport... but :nonooncat.gif:
I lived in Shitport for 20 yrs - you could never pay me enough to move back to that hellhole again.