Quantcast

Back in the saddle so to speak

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I finally got PhotoShop on my work computer and I get to spend all day developing marketing materials for the measles outbreak/emergency shot clinics going on right now. May SOUND boring, but one of my favorite things to do is develop health marketing materials and I haven't had the chance since I got out of school really. Of course it's not CS3 (I work in a non-profit) but it's better than the version I have on my computer and it beats the ****ing hell out of Publisher (seriously I can't believe people use that tacky ****).

It'll be nice to have something to bury my head in so I can ignore staff. I really don't feel like talking to hem today. I seriously have to petition for an office if we get the five year.

Anyway now I am rambling. It's too early to be this bored.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Are you setting up complete and final files in PhotoShop?

If so, please stop. Do yourself a favor and use InDesign for layout and text, keep PSD for photographics only.

Seriously, Publisher may suck, but it's better for such materials than PSD.

Also, your senility joke was funny :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm going to be a total dick and throw an option into the mix that is not-for-profit friendly:

http://www.scribus.net/

Works on Linux, mac and Windows.
I don't know what that is, but if she's sending these marketing materials out for production, she better be an expert at making PDFs (not really that difficult) -and- that program better be able to produce quality postscript files.

I can't imagine any print shop supporting an application like that.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I don't know what that is, but if she's sending these marketing materials out for production, she better be an expert at making PDFs (not really that difficult) -and- that program better be able to produce quality postscript files.
That's what it does. Free.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Are you setting up complete and final files in PhotoShop?

If so, please stop. Do yourself a favor and use InDesign for layout and text, keep PSD for photographics only.

Seriously, Publisher may suck, but it's better for such materials than PSD.

Also, your senility joke was funny :)
Ah yes, how nice it would be to have choices. Photoshop is all I have, and when I say all, I mean ALL. I tried to install the whole suite and it stopped working after disk 1 (the disc with PS on it) and since we don't have an IT guy that is as far as I got.

Most of these materials might make it to print but for now I'm printing them out and photo copying them because we are out of printing budget until we hear about the five year.

Right now I am just getting to play around on my computer instead of organizing some bull**** meeting or getting some agenda together so I am happy. And as much as I enjoy the professional advice, fact of the matter is I am designing promo materials for a community health project in Milwaukee Wisconsin and so far, the stuff I've got looks better than the stuff I get from health department so I'm happy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ah yes, how nice it would be to have choices. Photoshop is all I have, and when I say all, I mean ALL....

...Most of these materials might make it to print but for now I'm printing them out and photo copying them because we are out of printing budget until we hear about the five year....

....I am designing promo materials for a community health project in Milwaukee Wisconsin...
That's why I posted that link.

IT'S FREE. As in -

Free.
Gratis.
$0.00
$free.ninetyfree

:D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribus

Scribus is a desktop publishing (DTP) application. Native versions are available for Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, OS/2, and Microsoft Windows. It is known for its broad feature set of page layout features comparable to leading commercial applications such as Adobe PageMaker, QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign.

Scribus is designed for flexible layout and typesetting, and the ability to prepare files for professional quality image setting equipment. It can also create animated and interactive PDF presentations and forms. Example uses include writing small newspapers, brochures, newsletters, posters and books.

Released under the GNU General Public License, Scribus is free software.
Scribus supports most major graphic formats in addition to SVG. Professional type/image setting features include CMYK colors and ICC color management. Although written in C++, it has built-in scripting using Python. It is available in more than 24 languages.

Printing is achieved via its own internal level 3 PostScript driver, including support for font embedding and sub-setting with TrueType, Type 1 and OpenType fonts. The internal driver fully supports Level 2 PostScript constructs and a large subset of Level 3 constructs.

PDF support includes transparency, encryption and a large set of the PDF 1.4 spec as well as PDF/X3, including interactive PDFs form fields, annotations and bookmarks. However, although PDF export is very good, it is not currently able to import/edit PDF files, and PDFs exported from Scribus are not searchable in Acrobat Reader if the document contains proportional fonts.[1][2]

The file format, called SLA, is based on XML and is fully documented. Text can be imported from OpenDocument text documents, as well as RTF, Microsoft Word .doc, and HTML formats (although limitations apply).

Scribus cannot read or write the native file formats of commercial programs like QuarkXPress, Microsoft Publisher, and InDesign; the developers feel that reverse engineering those file formats would be prohibitively complex and could risk legal action from the makers of those programs.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I think most office people enjoy pissing and moaning....

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
No. What are you using Photoshop for?
I'm using it for everything BUT photo editting. I plan to turn out some really text heavy advertising materials. How do you think it will look? I was told that PS was the best application for my needs but I personally think that I'd be better off looking for some decent freeware.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I'm using it for everything BUT photo editting. I plan to turn out some really text heavy advertising materials. How do you think it will look? I was told that PS was the best application for my needs but I personally think that I'd be better off looking for some decent freeware.
I would tell work I needed to use software at home and borrow a copy of Indesign for a while.