Quantcast

Back pack help now please

J

JRB

This Jansport $130

or

This Kelty $150

The $20 more for the Kelty sounds good since I like their organization pockets and what not. I am not spending a ton, so modest recommendations please.

For Julie I am looking at

A Lowe Scirocco II for $164

The Kelty Redcloud for women

or

A Rokk Front Range for $70

Also note - I am buying the cheeper Slumberjack bags that should last for a while, that I mentioned in the other thread. 2 bags for $150 that will zip together sounds good to me.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
How long are your trips going to be?

The first three packs(not the campmor) are all about twice the size of my current pack(35L), which I used for 6 days in New Zealand. Now I'm a light packer, but unless you are planning some longer expeditions I would look at something smaller. I know it says 7-10 days, but that thing is huge.

Regardless, if those are the packs you've narrowed it down to I'd go with the Jansport. It weighs quite a bit less, has removable side pockets and the waistpack(though the Kelty has that as well). The Kelty is also a nice pack, but is more than a pound heavier and slightly more expensive. I've used packs from both companies and loved them. I would try them out in the store first though. Go with the one that has the best strap system as that is the biggest maker of a good or crap pack. It can have all the features in the world, but if it sucks to carry then you don't want it. Get the pack fitted by someone who knows how and you'll know which one is best. Be sure to have weights in it when you go to try it on. You may also want to bring along your own gear to see how it fits.

As for the other two, I haven't used either company, but just by looking at them I'd say the Lowe. Just from the picture it appears to be a higher quality pack than the ROKK. I've also heard reviews of Lowe and I know it to be a decent company. It has been a while since I've tried to get a pack in the US, but I've never heard of ROKK.

I gotta run, but hope that helps. I'd rethink sizing.

The Ito

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
if you want to buy one online because it's cheaper, go to ems, or rei first and try it on. then if you like it you can buy it online. also ems does have some good deals, my friend picked up a gregory pack for about $120 and it's sweet. he got it that cheep because it was already on sale, and he bought it on club day, when you get like an additional 20% off if you show that you are a member of an outdoor club like IMBA or boy scouts

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
ito said:
I would try them out in the store first though. Go with the one that has the best strap system as that is the biggest maker of a good or crap pack. It can have all the features in the world, but if it sucks to carry then you don't want it. Get the pack fitted by someone who knows how and you'll know which one is best. Be sure to have weights in it when you go to try it on. You may also want to bring along your own gear to see how it fits.
:stupid:

Backpacks are like bikes. Trying one one before you buy is a very good idea.

Another thing to pay attention to is how well the pack compresses down when not completely full. I had a Campmoor pack for a while that fit really well, but if it wasn't completely full, stuff would flop around. I currently have an Arc Teryx and the compression system is great.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Buy the Kelty. If you're new to backpacking it'll be a crapshoot if the pack in comfortable (you can improve your chances by trying them on in a shop, but not by much, since the shop-try-on is *light-years* away from the reality of a pack full of your crap).

If it's comfortable, then you're golden. If it's not, then you'll be in a better position to know what you looking for next time 'round.

And remember - no pack is really *comfortable* with 70lbs in it. :eek:

-S.S.-

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
YOU HAVE TO TRY THEM ON!! This is so important...I do a good amount of backpacking and the right pack is different for everyone. I personally don't like Kelty...don't like their feel. I am a big fan of Gregory. They just make very nice packs.

I went to Campmor and tried on 3 packs. They loaded each one up with 35lbs of stuff and then sent me around the store for about 25-30 min each...I finally settled on the Gregory as the best for me. But trying the on is really important...

Tom

J

JRB

Julie and I are taking a trip to Austin to REI after dinner today. Gonna try on some packs. Hopefully they have the Lowe pack for her to try on. I am kind of like S.S. though, knowing that I won't go more than 3 or 4 times a year. I borrowed Wumpus' Lowe Alpine pack and was uncomfortable, but that was because I was stupid and didn't have him fit it to me. It only made my shoulders sore though. I liked the pack, and it was super cool to have such a nice pack to try for my first trip. I do wan't a good one, but cannot spend more than $200 on it. $150 is really the best since we are going to buy 2 bags for $150 as well. I wan't to get Julie something she can grow into as well.

Thanks for all the answers and thanks again to Wumpus for lending me his back and bag.

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
you could also look at external frames too, but i hear they're not as popular on the west coast as they are here on the east coast. i'm one of the very few kids in my boyscout troop to have an internal, we do a trip a month. in the spring/summer it's usually backpacking. i'm going camping next week, but only for one night.

does anyone else here backpack in the whites?

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Susan has an older model Gregory Shasta(late 90's) that Julie might want to try.

gregory acadia
I want her to be able to carry more weight. :D Lightening my load and all. That may be a good pack for the price.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Tom Church said:
YOU HAVE TO TRY THEM ON!! This is so important...

Tom
You don't actually have to......... it depends on your tolerance for discomfort. :D

I actually bought a Gregory Denali many moons ago ('92-ish) without having ever tried on a Gregory pack.

It fit me fine after some fiddling, and I proceeded to use the pack on a ~475 mile thru-hike of the Colorado Trail.

Maybe I just got lucky. :thumb: YMMV.

-S.S.-