Quantcast

back tire rubs

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
ok so i broke my axle on my norco scrambler that I've put some dh/fr parts on, and I fixed the axle today. its brand new. so i go out and ride and when i pedal even somewhat hard (like just standing and pedaling) the back tire rubs on the lower chain stay on the left (looking down). i tightened all the spokes and it seems to have stayed the same/gotten worse...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ok so i broke my axle on my norco scrambler that I've put some dh/fr parts on, and I fixed the axle today. its brand new. so i go out and ride and when i pedal even somewhat hard (like just standing and pedaling) the back tire rubs on the lower chain stay on the left (looking down). i tightened all the spokes and it seems to have stayed the same/gotten worse...
The words required to explain how to fix this would (and often does) fill a book.

Take it to a shop.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
ok im not taking it to the shop because if you ask me, they scam you. 2nd i have taken it in before and the guy looked at it and said nothing was wrong...the wheel is like 95% straight, if not 100%. when it's in the dropouts it is centered in the chainstay. i am thinking that the wheel is a cheap single wall so it flexes when pedaling and is at its last legs...but i dont know.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Was the axle spaced in the hub properly? What hub? How close was the tire to rubbing the chain stays before breaking the axle? Is the wheel slipping in the drop outs?

Try it now?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
If it is only under heavy pedaling, then the chain is pulling the right side of the wheel forward and causing it to wear on the left had side.

Possible Causes:
a) Flexy rear end
b) Loose hub/axle
c) Tire is too big

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
ok im not taking it to the shop because if you ask me, they scam you. 2nd i have taken it in before and the guy looked at it and said nothing was wrong...the wheel is like 95% straight, if not 100%. when it's in the dropouts it is centered in the chainstay. i am thinking that the wheel is a cheap single wall so it flexes when pedaling and is at its last legs...but i dont know.
Let me guess, was the mechanic walking away and shaking his head as he said it?

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
well today i went riding (neighborhood riding) and was hitting up the ditches and it was pissing me off like crazy so i took it inside and tightened the right side spokes and...problem solved...but i think i bent another axle riding...F**K!!!

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
axles dont just bend, you sound like a moron to be honest. If the wheel was centered in the chainstays and rubbing the left side and you tightened all the right side all you did over pull the dish to the right you didnt actually fix anything. Tightening spokes without any apparent knowledge of what your doing is as smart as ****ing Danny Trejo's old lady.

You should slam your face into the workbench then proceed to a qualified bike shop. Try not to sound like an arrogant cunt when you go in there, as a former mechanic when all knowing twats came in, i'd usually take the bike out back do nothing and bring it out and tell them theres no charge.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
haha axles do bend, want me to post a picture? id be happy as f**k to. ive bent multiple! the left side spokes were loose that's why. so i tightened the right side to bring up there tension and it worked. it no longer rubs, and according to logic it's "fixed" i know what I'm doing, ive been working on bikes since training wheels. im serious. i actually went out and took them off my own bike at the age of 5...and ever since i have been working on my bikes, siblings bikes, neighborhood friends bikes, etc. and was able to fix about 97% of the problems. so in other words I COULD actually work at a bike shop a** wipe...when i took my bikes in and told him what was up he put it on the stand, pedaled the pedals around for about 2 minutes and said nothing was wrong. even after i told it 50 times "it only happens when you pedal hard. (with weight on the pedals)" and he still was like "ok..." and pedaled it faster on the stand...anyone can do that. you think your hot **** being a bike mechanic? good for you. anyone can do your job. try working on a car...its a whole new ball game...

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Bitch please. You're still stupid as **** and equally annoying. Once again since you don't seem to actually know anything if your just bending 12/15mm axles riding it aggressively something else is wrong. You didn't tighten it before rode it hard and bent your rear triangle and keep mangling axles and wheels. That's not you shrapling axles to some other physical realm that's you being a derp.

I sure cam McCaul bend axles all the time too. Yeah no he doesn't. Neither does rock jesus, hill or any other non moron.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
anyone can do your job
True. Just about anyone can work on bikes. They are relatively simple machines.

Not many people are really good at it though, to be honest. There are a lot of sh1tty mechanics out there. If this guy at the shop told you nothing is wrong, he's probably not very good (or he's sick of your sh1t).

Take it to another shop. Have them check:

1) Over all spoke tension, rim true (lateral and roundness) and proper dish.

2) The axle, bearings and (if applicable) races in the hub. Sometimes a few good whacks can actually jack up the inside of a hub to where replacing axles is pointless.

3) Frame alignment, from the headtube back to the dropouts.

This is what a GOOD mechanic would do.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Once again he's not bending axles because he has bull thighs.. He's bending them because some other part of his expertly maintained free ride machine in a ****ed up and obviously tightening the spokes through the roof was the solution.

Or he could do what a forum full of people with way more experience, qualifications and knowledge suggest and stop shade treeing his **** and has an actual professional look at it, and to try to not be super condescending while doing it.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
what's your job? being a dick to people you dont know over forum websites? some job huh? are you grumpy because you mommy stopped sleeping with you and you miss her titties and sucking on them? i know i do, they were very firm and soft at the same time...wow was she great...let me finish inside her...although you already know that. where do you think you came from ;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Whoa you can drop a c bomb on here and it doesn't get censored, crazy stuff.

I have no input otherwise, there is no point.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, it sounds like your wheel needs a rebuild if the spokes keep coming loose. the threads on them need to be treated with spoke prep or linseed oil to keep the nipples from backing out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
second on h8r's point about the bearing races in the hubs potentially being trashed. if you keep being axles this may be the problem. it creates play in the system which will allow the axle to bend or crack over time. what kind of hub and how old is it?

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
yes i just tightened the spokes, i used the drop outs as a reference, for a truing stand. i bought the bike used at a pawn shop for $100 so obviously it's going to have a few problems here and there. ok, i will check the races. they looked fine to me, but hey im no mechanic...the new axle is sorta bent mostly because i was riding very hard on it. like doing 180 skids on cement (trust me the bike doesn't like that...) and because it's a hard tail being ridden hard! like jumping 4-5ft high to flat...

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
haha I know right bad ass. when i do like drifts and go sideways the bike goes into like anti lock mode and its like CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK and everything's bouncing around. and when i do rolling stoppies and turn sideways and slam the back wheel down...when it's still like 140-180 degrees

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
haha what's not to be real about it? i ride my bikes the way they are suppose to be ridden.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This CANNOT be real.
when i was a mechanic we had a guy come with a bike and this story... "i got this bike out of my neighbor's trash and want to fix it up for my son". he was flabbergasted at the quote we gave him. he started making a scene until the manager came over and told him "now, do you think there might have been a reason your neighbor had put the bike in the trash?" :rofl:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
haha I know right bad ass. when i do like drifts and go sideways the bike goes into like anti lock mode and its like CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK and everything's bouncing around. and when i do rolling stoppies and turn sideways and slam the back wheel down...when it's still like 140-180 degrees
I must know more about your sic trix!

Do you have a video edit?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
what's your job? being a dick to people you dont know over forum websites? some job huh? are you grumpy because you mommy stopped sleeping with you and you miss her titties and sucking on them? i know i do, they were very firm and soft at the same time...wow was she great...let me finish inside her...although you already know that. where do you think you came from ;)
That whole paragraph might bother me if I were a retarded twelve year old.

Sounds like you need a fixie and to shave your pussy a little better because if were all going to take turns ****ing you into the dirt in this thread and any other you make, you might as well make your meat clamp look more presentable.

Last edited:

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
That whole paragraph might bother me if I were a retarded twelve year old.

Sounds like you need a fixie and to shave your pussy a little better because if were all going to take turns ****ing you into the dirt in this thread and any other you make, you might as well make your meat clamp look more presentable.

well maybe you are a retarded twelve year old because that paragraph you said makes no sense to me at all. you guys are ****ing me in the dirt? first off I'm half, if not 75% joking about the **** i say, I'm not trying to win any contests by any means. why do i have to impress you guys? I'm not your puppet. i know what i said a page or 2 back may sound like I'm a dumb piece of **** but who are you guys to call me out on that? I DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT! ITS THE ****ING INTERNET! BIG WHOOP!!!

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
when i was a mechanic we had a guy come with a bike and this story... "i got this bike out of my neighbor's trash and want to fix it up for my son". he was flabbergasted at the quote we gave him. he started making a scene until the manager came over and told him "now, do you think there might have been a reason your neighbor had put the bike in the trash?" :rofl:
Ok this is officially a "When I Was a Mechanic" thread.

We used to have a running joke - what's more dangerous to kids in the community, distributing guns or spoke wrenches?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Clearly this just a simple case of not having the right tool for the job. You'll need a good pair of heavy duty wire cutters to properly remove any offending spoke.

Don't listen to these crusty old bastards on here. You don't need a "professional mechanic". A little elbow grease and some good old fashioned trial and error will go a long way. Now get to cutting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok this is officially a "When I Was a Mechanic" thread.

We used to have a running joke - what's more dangerous to kids in the community, distributing guns or spoke wrenches?
We used to prank the new guys by calling in and asking for Pedro's rim grease