Quantcast

>>> Back to school Monday GTM <<<

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Cedar isn't cheap, plus I need to put in sprinklers, dirt/compost. It's on a patch that has grass that I will be getting rid of most of because it won't be watered, so I will need to put down stone around the boxes and space. If it was relatively flat, I'd just go straight into the ground, but it's a proper hill. Whole project won't be cheap.

Also, we eat a LOT of vegetables. An entire bed will be dedicated to raspberries

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I do appreciate the dichotomy of liking to save money and then in the next breath talking about buying a racing car. :homer:

Lunch ride in the books. Fuck was it hot. :dead:
Save $5k? Well, go spend it then. Or... don't save $5k and don't have $5k to spend. You choose your option.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
No - don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you're doing it wrong. I just find it amusing. :D

I'm gonna retire at 55 come Hell or high water. Even if it kills me. Even if it has to be a "soft" retirement... :thumb:
I have college through age 60. Thank you round 2. We were set for 55; like no concerns, maybe even a bit earlier and Wifey was all about the bigger house and rd 2. Muttering and swearing has been non-stop.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have college through age 60. Thank you round 2. We were set for 55; like no concerns, maybe even a bit earlier and Wifey was all about the bigger house and rd 2. Muttering and swearing has been non-stop.
lol

Yeah - college will be done for us when I'm 55. Sell house, exit stage left. At this point contemplating a semi-nomadic existence...

Oh - and you know what would help that whole "round 2" thing, right?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Almost forgot, Spec Miata is in play as replacement to M. Wifey is on board because she gets a convertible to ride around in during the summer.
My HS PE teacher used to drive his "wife's" Miata to school....as a senior prank we put it in the center of the school gym while he was in a faculty meeting. Also, he was 6'2" tall and stuck out of the top so he deserved said prank.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oh, hey monkeys... today's plan was one of my more stupider ones. Not enough bike, skill or strength to make it much past 2 miles and 1470 feet of vertical gain. It had leveled off but I cut my losses and headed back down the mountain which turned out even worse, I lost count of how many times I had to stop and remove twigs and shit from the drivetrain and brakes. OTB once and both shins are bloodied. For added genius points I rode alone even though I knew there was no cell service. I did check in at the ranger station where the ranger lady hadn't known of any bikers on that trail but she was only there for the summer.

A smarter monkey would stop and drink beer but I need to get the miles in, I might be hurty for the next few days so I'm going to hit the road for 40 miles. I hope.

One of the friendlier snags.
About a mile up.
OTB into the brush right about here.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
college will be done for us when I'm 55.*
* assuming they don't go to college in a ski town

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/montana-state-university/academic-life/graduation-and-retention/

With a four year graduation rate of 20.0%, first-time students in the MSU Bozeman class of 2012 who attended classes full-time were less likely than average to graduate on time. After six years, the graduation rate was 49.6% and by 2016, 53.2% of this class had completed their degree.

Nationwide, the average graduation rate for first-time undergraduates attending classes full-time is: 32.8% after four years, 47.6% after six years, and 49.2% after eight years.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
If i stay at my job for another 16 years, i could have first retirement at 39.
Keep dreamin' millenial. You're gonna be a slave to The Man until you're 75.

Good news is that you'll probably have life expectancy of 120 by then.

:D

Fuck no - our "nomadic" lifestyle would definitely involve actually living in a proper abode. We just don't want to own it. Mainly so I can move somewhere else when the fancy strikes us. Canada's nice.

* assuming they don't go to college in a ski town

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/montana-state-university/academic-life/graduation-and-retention/

With a four year graduation rate of 20.0%, first-time students in the MSU Bozeman class of 2012 who attended classes full-time were less likely than average to graduate on time. After six years, the graduation rate was 49.6% and by 2016, 53.2% of this class had completed their degree.

Nationwide, the average graduation rate for first-time undergraduates attending classes full-time is: 32.8% after four years, 47.6% after six years, and 49.2% after eight years.
Don't care about any of that shit. They are on my payroll with regards to college for 4 years. That's it. Off they go after 4.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm going to be working for quite a while, what with my to be 3 little girls, house to pay off, Winter Park condo to buy, Porsche to invest in... :D

I'll provide them enough of a 529 to cover 4 years in state and then they'll be off on their own +/- probably a mid 5 figure UGTM account that they can use for a wedding, a car, or whatever floats their fancy. The point is that the backstop won't be unlimited.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i like my job...i’ll stay at it until i don’t feel like it. it’s the little fuckers in the house that just can’t get older fast enough...i’ll call it “retirement” the second the youngest is out the damn door...so...t-minus 10 years.

speaking of, school starts here last week of the month.

Oh, hey monkeys... today's plan was one of my more stupider ones. Not enough bike, skill or strength to make it much past 2 miles and 1470 feet of vertical gain. It had leveled off but I cut my losses and headed back down the mountain which turned out even worse, I lost count of how many times I had to stop and remove twigs and shit from the drivetrain and brakes. OTB once and both shins are bloodied. For added genius points I rode alone even though I knew there was no cell service. I did check in at the ranger station where the ranger lady hadn't known of any bikers on that trail but she was only there for the summer.

A smarter monkey would stop and drink beer but I need to get the miles in, I might be hurty for the next few days so I'm going to hit the road for 40 miles. I hope.

One of the friendlier snags.
About a mile up.
OTB into the brush right about here.
Give blood going downhill.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Full savage climb up to one of the trails today. Holy mother of fuck. But we got to ride some steep loam and smashed more rox than you can think of.

This loam got deep...

That climb tho.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'm gonna retire at 55 come Hell or high water. Even if it kills me. Even if it has to be a "soft" retirement... :thumb:
probably will never retire....but i also do not have a kid or wife so i dont care.....too old for kids now anyway.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Got lost on the way to the trailhead trying to avoid thunderstorms where I originally planed to ride yesterday. And Google maps is more like a slot machine than a navigational device out in the sticks. Didn't get on the bike to probably around 6:20.

Took a light and wound up having to bag up electronic devices and put the light on as a storm started to roll in. Always a bit un-nerving to ride past burnt trees from lightning strikes as it's getting darker and wind is picking up. Got back to the car moments before the bottom fell out. Driving home, at night, in a flood plain during a thunderstorm sucks.

Not the best ride, but I got to go fast on some rawks in the woods.

To redeem myself, I'm planning on a Big Stupid ride in Pisgah on Wednesday. Supposed to be sunny, all day, as in sans flash flooding.