Quantcast

Back to weights

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
*Sigh*

It's that time of year. Weight training is starting back up. That means tomorrow I will be sore.:( My goal this year is to simply become more powerful. Specifically, in my legs. I want to be able to push harder gears while still keeping my cadence high.

Surely I'm not the only monkey starting on the off season weights.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've been lifting weights all along. Although, I slacked a bit during the summer. There was one stretch where I didn't lift weights for about three weeks, and my MTB performance suffered from it. When I got back into lifting, it's amazing how much better my riding got. Must be a heart rate/cardio conditioning thing, because three weeks is not enough time to lose muscle mass.

As far as legs go, I laid off the legs during MTB season (April thru August). When I started doing legs again, I was amazed that I was able to lift the same amount of weight that I had been doing before biking season, and I was actually stronger on some exercises (leg curls and calf raises). WOO HOO. Speaking of legs, I worked them this morning.

:)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Heidi
*Sigh*

It's that time of year. Weight training is starting back up. That means tomorrow I will be sore.:(
BTW, the absolute WORST pain is the pain that follows in the days after your first leg workout in six months. :( Can you say "ZOMBIE"?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

BTW, the absolute WORST pain is the pain that follows in the days after your first leg workout in six months. :( Can you say "ZOMBIE"?
Yes, that will be me tomorrow.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Tomorrow shouldn't be too bad. Thursday you'll be really hurting. :cool:
Yep:

Squats
Leg curls
Leg extensions
Leg Press
Calf Raise

Pain. Hey, no pain, no gain...right?;)

zibbler

Monkey
Legs are the things I hate working the most (as well as abs). It's just so damn painful. When I'm done working my legs, they feel like noodles and I walk like I'm drunk for 2 days. :p

Yesterday hubby and I rode a 5 mile paved trail and did 3 - 30 second sprints. We went all out in the biggest chainring, then finished off at the mall riding up a long steep ramp. My legs felt like noodles after that.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

Yep:

Squats
Leg curls
Leg extensions
Leg Press
Calf Raise

Pain. Hey, no pain, no gain...right?;)
Funny, that is what I did this morning (different order though). Also, I don't do leg extensions because I feel I hit the thighs enough with squats and presses. :)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Funny, that is what I did this morning (different order though). Also, I don't do leg extensions because I feel I hit the thighs enough with squats and presses. :)
Well, I hate squats so I might just do one set of those and pick up the slack with more leg extensions. Or, maybe I'll do some lunges to.

Zibbler: I actually like doing abs. I'm weird.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I've been doing weights for 2 weeks now it's fun cause i have friends who do it with me but i we always start laughing and thats not good when doing bench presses.

just make sure you do the anatomical adoptation you shouldn't be to sore than.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I'm about at the end of my month "off" (means riding twice a week) and am about to start weights again for the winter. And about that first day of doing squats in the winter.....I though I was numb in my legs at the end of the year last year (rode alot of road bike in the mountains) and the first time I did squats, man, I was a hurtin fool.

It's funny, come spring, I'll have these huge arms and upper body.....and this time of year, I'm a disproportioned wimp again with small arms and huge calves.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by KrusteeButt
Ugh...I feel like this time of year isn't "Back to weights"....
it's "Back to putting on weight."
:(
Hehehehe - I hear ya man. I don't really gain weight but I still feel fat. This morning before 8am I had already eaten a poptart, a bagel w/cream cheese, a donut, and some fruit salad. :eek: :eek: :eek:

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!

Hehehehe - I hear ya man. I don't really gain weight but I still feel fat. This morning before 8am I had already eaten a poptart, a bagel w/cream cheese, a donut, and some fruit salad. :eek: :eek: :eek:
What?!?!
Are you serious?

Are you riding or lifting in the morning though?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

Fruit salad is very good for you. :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
I'm about at the end of my month "off" (means riding twice a week) and am about to start weights again for the winter. And about that first day of doing squats in the winter.....I though I was numb in my legs at the end of the year last year (rode alot of road bike in the mountains) and the first time I did squats, man, I was a hurtin fool.

It's funny, come spring, I'll have these huge arms and upper body.....and this time of year, I'm a disproportioned wimp again with small arms and huge calves.
I hate the sore ass the follows your first squat session. I mean, YOUR ASS GETS SORE!! How do you explain that to someone when they ask why you're limping?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am a very bad weight trainer. I don't have what it takes for the indoor stuff; my mind wanders and a hate every minute of being trapped inside when I could be out doing stuff. If my body fat gets below 12% I'll be happy. I prefer endurance anyway... weight training is helpful but I just can't stand it!!!

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001

Today after work I'll go lift. No riding.
You have a desk job, right?
I've found that is my demise...people always bring in doughnuts, or cookies, or bagels &c ream cheese, etc...
and can I say no? Of course not!
So that crap sits in my gut all day until I can go work out/ride after work...by that time, it's already done its damage. :(

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The women here are ALWAYS bringing in donuts and candy. They say to me "I brought in some donuts today. Here, have one!" So they put one on my desk. Then when they walk away, I throw it in the garbage. :D Hey, it spares their feelings. Besides, THEY don't need to eat it! As far as all the candy goes, I've been pretty good about "Just say no."

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

You have a desk job, right?
I've found that is my demise...people always bring in doughnuts, or cookies, or bagels &c ream cheese, etc...
and can I say no? Of course not!
So that crap sits in my gut all day until I can go work out/ride after work...by that time, it's already done its damage. :(
Yep, I sit here all day, except for when I go to lunch. Then I take the stairs all the way down and back up. Normally eating this much isn't a problem because I just burn it off with all my activity. If I don't commute to work then I still have about a mile walk from my car to my building and back.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I wish I could enjoy weight training. :( I just freeking hate it though. I am doomed to be a skinny white boy! :)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Squeak
I wish I could enjoy weight training. :( I just freeking hate it though. I am doomed to be a skinny white boy! :)
LOL! See, with most women it's different. "We" aren't lifting to get bigger. At least, I'm not. When I lift I get lean muscles that are powerful, not really bulky. Whereas, most guys lift to get "ripped" and buff. Come on Squeak, you aren't buffed out?;)

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style

LOL! See, with most women it's different. "We" aren't lifting to get bigger. At least, I'm not. When I lift I get lean muscles that are powerful, not really bulky. Whereas, most guys lift to get "ripped" and buff. Come on Squeak, you aren't buffed out?;)
I am the "Anti-Buff"!

:D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yep, legs are jello, more specifically, my upper thighs. Ouch. My back/shoulders are too bony, the friggin squat bar hurts. I even put my towel around the bar but it still hurts. I need to toughen up, huh?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.

Fruit salad is very good for you. :)
Fruit Cake isn't...

when a guy riding buddy of mine told me today that I look like I gained some weight.....that's serious!!! I'm FAT!
Historically, I gain 10+ lbs every winter...my goal to prevent that this year....:mad:
now back to weights.....I hate weight training and I hate the gym atmosphere when weight training.... Are the BowFlex type of alternatives ok for this application? You can buy work-out how to videos.....

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by Orven

.... Are the BowFlex type of alternatives ok for this application?
I have a Bowflex. You won't get the same type of workout on it as you would with free weights, but it will definitely give you more strength and tone in your muscles. I still have to use free weight for some excersizes as the Bowflex puts some of my joints at odd angles.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I even put my towel around the bar but it still hurts. I need to toughen up, huh?
Go out and buy a barbell pad. They run about $10 and you can buy them at most major sporing goods stores (The Sports Authority, Dicks, if you have either of those). I use one when I do squats to help prevent torn blood vessels in my shoulders. And it's a heck of a lot more comfortable than having the bar right on your shoulders.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Go out and buy a barbell pad. They run about $10 and you can buy them at most major sporing goods stores (The Sports Authority, Dicks, if you have either of those). I use one when I do squats to help prevent torn blood vessels in my shoulders. And it's a heck of a lot more comfortable than having the bar right on your shoulders.

Cool, thanks Babs. Oh, and this morning my legs have just a touch of soreness in them - but not like last night. Good!

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by zibbler

I have a Bowflex. You won't get the same type of workout on it as you would with free weights, but it will definitely give you more strength and tone in your muscles. I still have to use free weight for some excersizes as the Bowflex puts some of my joints at odd angles.
Well, I disagree to some extent. I am really quite pleased with mine and feel that I get just as good of a workout with mine as I do with freeweights. It took some getting used to and the feel of some of the movements was a little different at first. I do feel like I can achieve a certain amount of muscle isolation with it as well, which is MUCH more difficult to achieve with free weights.

Orven, I also am not a big fan of gyms...they're pretty pricey and full of muscle-heads, usually their hours don't work with my schedule. I wanted the convenience of being able to work out at home, but I didn't want a giant machine nor a whole bunch of weights taking up a lot of space. So this has been perfect for me...I throw on whatever kind of music I want and I work out when it's convenient for me. Plus, when it's folded up, it's footpring is only about 5 square feet!
No, I can't say that I enjoy working out...but I do know that it doesn't take that much to make a difference. 1/2 hour-45 minute sessions, 3-4 times a week. That really isn't that much time at all if you think about it. I spend more time than that on the Playstation 2! :D
I will say this...the Bowflex is not really very good for leg workouts without the leg attachment...which is another $220 + shipping!
Decide for yourself though...you can go to their website and order their video for free. It's cheesey and lame, a long infomercial basically...but it can give you a basic idea.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Thanks for that info Butt. The whole contraption is a bit pricy, but I have always wondered about it. You seen any used ones around? What do they run?

*Edit* Holy crap! I looked it up on ebay and a local paper. 900 bucks used. Thats a lot of bike stuff!

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by Squeak
Thanks for that info Butt. The whole contraption is a bit pricy, but I have always wondered about it. You seen any used ones around? What do they run?
Yeah, you can find 'em on ebay a lot.
Here's how it breaks down:
-the basic model (the one I have) is the Motivator. It's somewhat limited in expandability, and it's parts aren't manufactured quite as nicely as the higher models. List: $799 + $100 s/h. It's very rare that this one or it's expansion parts are available on ebay.

-the next (what they consider "standard") model is the Power Pro. It's parts are made a little better (supposedly feels a little more solid) and it's got much more expansion possibilities (can add a "rowing" feature and squat feature...not available on the Motivator). It takes up a smaller footprint when folded up than the Motivator. Other than that, the available exercises are about the same (both the Motivator and the Power Pro can have a leg attachment and a lat pulldown attachment...each attachment is about $220+s/h, but they're not interchangeable...the Motivator can't use Power Pro's attachments & vice versa). List: $999 + $100 s/h. I've seen this and it's attachments on ebay a lot.

-I believe the next one is the Ultimate...this just has lots of stuff on it and is ridiculous expensive.

The basic idea of how the machines work is the same from one model to the next. I don't think I'd feel my workout "better" if I'd gone with the Power Pro. I do think I would notice the difference in the stability of the machines though.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
And my boobies are sore....(worked chest tonight :D )

Ah well, at least I refrained from ordering that pizza that I really REALLY wanted! :thumb:
RM took my 1hr15minute Spin class last night. I kicked his butt... THEN we ordered pizza:) Best of both worlds!

Oh and Astral came too..... and didnt threaten to kill me afterwords. All in all it was a successfull night:)

I am teaching a new Spin/Weights class here in town on Monday afternoons. Its really cool... 10 minutes of spin followed by ten minutes of weights back and forth 3 times. I set up a step with dumbells, resistance bands and body bars. If any locals want to try it lemme know.

Note** Its not a meathead gym, I PROMISE

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by JOJO

RM took my 1hr15minute Spin class last night. I kicked his butt... THEN we ordered pizza:) Best of both worlds!

Oh and Astral came too..... and didnt threaten to kill me afterwords. All in all it was a successfull night:)

I am teaching a new Spin/Weights class here in town on Monday afternoons. Its really cool... 10 minutes of spin followed by ten minutes of weights back and forth 3 times. I set up a step with dumbells, resistance bands and body bars. If any locals want to try it lemme know.

Note** Its not a meathead gym, I PROMISE
But its too far for me to make it in time! WAAAAA! :mad:

Unless you changed the time?