Quantcast

Backcountry.com: The Specialized of the outdoor retail world?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey just needed to order a stack of Patagonia jackets for their new branded jackets at work. $2k order not at Backcountry

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Their response was a typical, we're sorry we got caught corporate speak. Discontinuing their campaign against other outdoor companies who use Backcountry is one thing, but what about the companies they went after that either changed their name, or shelled out cash to lawyers to try and figure out what to do? Who is going to take responsibility for going after an avalanche survival company? Even by shark lawyer standards that was a pretty big stretch.

I'm generally in support of protecting one's IP, and sided with Park in the whole tool color debacle, but most of this was so clearly a bullshit overreach.

I think I'll continue avoiding them, I've successfully avoided Specialized products for the last 20 years, I can probably manage to avoid Backcountry too. Sierra Trading Post's website kinda blows, but they do appear to have some pretty good deals.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fuck Park, they make many tools that are not blue, intentionally so (excluding all-metal/silver finish), so they don’t get to dictate what colors other makers can use.

This is what I wrote in the empty beer:

Trademarking common names and colors and going after other companies for using these common things is not normal. It’s what is wrong with business and corporations. It’s a bad decision by management and most likely the lawyers are just doing what they were told, either that or they don’t have enough oversight by management, either way or goes back to management.

If these companies were selling products under the impression that their products are actually Backcountry’s, then you might have a point, but that’s not the case. Backcountry is using this as an excuse to go after other businesses when this obviously not the case. Example,
The backcountry refers to the wilderness. This would be akin to WTB going after every company using the name “wilderness”. You should not be able to trademark common words, like backcountry. You should be able to register and trademark your business name, like Backcountry, Inc., and THAT can’t be copied, but the common words within it should not be individually trademarked/enforced. You don’t see businesses going after other businesses for having “Inc.” in their name...because it’s a common freaking word.

And if you are afraid you will confuse customers because you chose a common word for your businesses name that already exists and is widely used, that’s your own damn fault for choosing a common word.

It’s also wrong because these companies use their better lawyer resources to do this when the smaller company could likely win the case ultimately, but at a cost that is not bearable for their business model.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I haven't bought anything from Backcountry in years mainly because their prices really aren't that great. I'm a bargain shopper and refuse to pay full price for anything unless I really need it right now. Just sign up for email notifications with all of your favorite brands and they'll notify you of any good clearance sales. I've also been pretty lucky with sites like Sierra Trading Post or Clymb for deals on bike clothes. I miss Price Point cause I used to get almost all of my bike related purchases through them.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Side note... there is a Facebook group called "Boycott BackcountryDOTcom" and the memes are getting pretty hilarious :rofl:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I know a few Backcountry apologists who say all they do is protect their brand.
Protect my ass. Those guys are loud, obnoxious talentless Lycra warriors.

Randomshot

Monkey
Mar 12, 2009
Ft. Collins
I just love when corporations do this shit then backpedal like it wasnt their intent. "Oh we're so sorry. We dont know how this happened. We are DEFINITELY not about that money" really. What do they think their customers are about?? Im so happy that they pissed off sooo many people. I hope they have to sell or go bankrupt. But i know there are still enough consumers that dont give a shit other than getting "a deal" so we will see