Quantcast

Background image in lounge blocks out a tool bar.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry, guys. We've done full forum takeovers before but they're usually bike related :rolleyes:. Didn't know this one was coming - I'm asking what's up.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
yeah this is pretty weak, i have adblock for a reason. and i cant even use the toolbars
P.S. oh gosh, let me rush out and figure out why you can't use the toolbar with your ad blocker.

Do you also complain about the service in restaurants where you walk out without paying?

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I saw the background image at home but at work we're still running Internet Explorer 6 and it doesn't show the background image in the Lounge.

Ha ha ha... advertisements fooled by old technology :D

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
P.S. oh gosh, let me rush out and figure out why you can't use the toolbar with your ad blocker.

Do you also complain about the service in restaurants where you walk out without paying?
i didnt start using adblock on this site until i started getting those annoying epilepsy inducing adds congratulating me on being the millionth visitor to the site. if premium memberships were brought back i would gladly pay 20/year for an ad free site.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
In restaurants the waiter doesn't try to get you to buy random isht while you're eating.
In restaurants, the establishment gets paid for the service. How much are you paying to Ridemonkey?

i didnt start using adblock on this site until i started getting those annoying epilepsy inducing adds congratulating me on being the millionth visitor to the site. if premium memberships were brought back i would gladly pay 20/year for an ad free site.
That's exactly the problem, actually. $20/year is not a sustainable cost. If every user, including the occasional users, paid $20/year, it'd be fine. Unfortunately, the only people who are willing to pony up ANY amount of money for the site are the ones who are visiting the most, and $20 is not reasonable for those visitors.

The actual value that we'd have to recoup to eliminate ads from the site on a per-user basis is way higher than anyone is going to pay. Hell, there were never more than a couple dozen premium memberships sold anyway, so people weren't even willing to pay that $20. It's not cheap to run this site.

I'd love to have everything be bike-related ads. There are more bike ads these days, but it's just not realistic right now.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
In restaurants, the establishment gets paid for the service. How much are you paying to Ridemonkey?

That's exactly the problem, actually. $20/year is not a sustainable cost. If every user, including the occasional users, paid $20/year, it'd be fine. Unfortunately, the only people who are willing to pony up ANY amount of money for the site are the ones who are visiting the most, and $20 is not reasonable for those visitors.

The actual value that we'd have to recoup to eliminate ads from the site on a per-user basis is way higher than anyone is going to pay. Hell, there were never more than a couple dozen premium memberships sold anyway, so people weren't even willing to pay that $20. It's not cheap to run this site.

I'd love to have everything be bike-related ads. There are more bike ads these days, but it's just not realistic right now.
makes sense, im curious, doesnt RM only get money from the ads if theyre clicked on? or is it by views?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
makes sense, im curious, doesnt RM only get money from the ads if theyre clicked on? or is it by views?
It's mostly views. In general on the web, companies pay per thousand impressions - that is, one instance of one ad being served up on one page. Depending on the ad model there could be additional money if an ad gets clicked, or if a user follows a shopping link and then purchases an item, or any number of little permutations... but by and large, it's based on ad impressions, not clicks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Briefly:

- Making money in the off-season is hard. The costs don't really go down much, but bike advertisers don't advertise as much. So be a little patient with the ad model of a forum "takeover."

- This particular one is awful, no doubt about it. I'm making sure that we get some design discussion in the future so they aren't as overt. It's incredibly jarring to have a fairly muted website and then have screaming white and red backgrounds in one of the forums. So if future "takeovers" occur (we did a pretty nice one in the DH forum for GT), we'll at least make sure they're appropriately color schemed and fit the design flow of the site.

- This takeover campaign is over tomorrow at the end of the day. We're obliged to run it through the end of the campaign, obviously (you guys know what contracts are, right?) so stick it out until then and I'll make sure future ads of this type (if they even occur) are cleaner.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
- This particular one is awful, no doubt about it. I'm making sure that we get some design discussion in the future so they aren't as overt. It's incredibly jarring to have a fairly muted website and then have screaming white and red backgrounds in one of the forums. So if future "takeovers" occur (we did a pretty nice one in the DH forum for GT), we'll at least make sure they're appropriately color schemed and fit the design flow of the site.
Please do. This one looks like what I imagine stevew might see during a bad acid trip.

Thanks for the updates.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Please do. This one looks like what I imagine stevew might see during a bad acid trip.
acid...me...never...honest.

george pelecanos...great writer author/writer.

wrote for hbo's "the wire"...which was excellent....steal it off the internet if you can.