Quantcast

Backpacking Foods?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Shit has changed in the world of back packing foods in the 20 years since I last went out. Looking for some suggestions. Probably going to take some instant oatmeal for breakfasts, coffee is a must, I have a melitta drip funnel set up. aside from some fast cook noodles I am up in the air. two dinners, three lunches. any edible freeze dried stuff? I am looking for simple and easy I will have an MSR cookset with me

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My standard daily diet on the trail is dried fruit and oatmeal for breakfast. I do the Quaker Oats instant stuff. I just eat is straight from the packet, it is actually good if you have something to drink with it, YMMV. I generally do not eat a traditional lunch but snack constantly throughout the day. I do the standard trail mix in addition to a fair amount of chocolate and cheese. All provide a good calorie to weight ratio. Despite modern misconceptions a block of cheese does not require refrigeration if sealed well, in addition it's gastro intestinal binding characteristics limits trail side Hershey squirts. For dinner I usually do a Mountain House freeze dried meal. The lasagna and chili-mac options are particularly tasty. I usually bring a little garlic and chili pepper to zest things up a bit.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
My standard daily diet on the trail is dried fruit and oatmeal for breakfast. I do the Quaker Oats instant stuff. I just eat is straight from the packet, it is actually good if you have something to drink with it, YMMV. I generally do not eat a traditional lunch but snack constantly throughout the day. I do the standard trail mix in addition to a fair amount of chocolate and cheese. All provide a good calorie to weight ratio. Despite modern misconceptions a block of cheese does not require refrigeration if sealed well, in addition it's gastro intestinal binding characteristics limits trail side Hershey squirts. For dinner I usually do a Mountain House freeze dried meal. The lasagna and chili-mac options are particularly tasty. I usually bring a little garlic and chili pepper to zest things up a bit.
Yeah I usually carry the trail mix. hadn't thought about a block of cheese but i remember now that we used to take that and some dry salami. thanks for the mountain house suggestions

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah I usually carry the trail mix. hadn't thought about a block of cheese but i remember now that we used to take that and some dry salami. thanks for the mountain house suggestions
Ooh yeah, forgot about that. Some kind of dried meat goes really well with the cheese. Prefer that over the typical beef jerky.

I know it is not your thing, but a Nalgene bottle full of 100 proof lightweight camping bourbon like Wild Turkey Rare Breed is nice to have.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i'm too fucking picky....would be reduced to granola and water.

can not stand oatmeal/food in a bag.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
For lunch I'll typically do a salami and cheese in a tortilla wrap.

One of my go to dinners, especially backpacking, is pasta with pesto, goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I usually do a Mountain House freeze dried meal
:stupid:
I remember being three days into the back country with my dad, and burying a freeze dried Beef Stroganoff because it was so bad. That said the freeze dried stuff has improved a lot in the last 20 years. Hell, even a genuine MRE has come a long way. Filling, and generally tasty, but LOADED with sodium, like multiple hundreds of percents above suggested daily intake. I figure as long as it's only a couple days, no real harm in eating them. I'm okay usually with oatmeal and/or granola for breakfast and lunches, but I've got to have something more for dinner.

Also, last motorcycle trip I took a chance one these things:

I'm generally a believer that friends don't let friends drink starbucks, but for on the road or backpacking these are pretty awesome. Little packets take up almost no room, don't weigh very much, can be stashed almost anywhere, and deliver much needed morning caffeine.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I like quinoa bc it cooks quicker than rice and has some protein to boot...

I'll cook up a small batch and doctor it up per meal

quinoa, with butter walnuts maple syrup for breakfast
Quinoa with reconstituted beans cheese and tortilla for lunch
Quinoa with fresh caught fish for supper, except I don't fish...

Ramen, the fancy kind with less sodium

Our larger grocery stores have a decent selection of quick cook beans and other quick cook dried foods to choose from, for much cheaper than the prepackaged brand name meals.

And I try to bring fresh "herbs" ;) and spices to help with flavor and appetite...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For some extra jazz, bring pecans and dried cranberries and put those in your instant oatmeal for breakfast.

Macadamia nuts have a very high caloric count and are full of "good" fat and protein....except they are expensive.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mountain House is pretty good for dehydrated and you can often get big boxes for relatively cheap at Costco. It's good emergency food as well.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
always fun to freeze a ribeye & pull it out at nite to throw on the open fire (if you can have one).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
IMG_20170829_101100094.jpg
IMG_20170829_101155846.jpg

Add your choice of coffee, plus some single serve trail mix packets and you are good. Everything here is a dollar a pack aside from the mre's which I get as a hook up from a friend. Always keep an mre in the bottom of your pack, as in a real mre like these that are 3500 plus calorie and a days worth or more of nutrition for emergency, should you find yourself in need of sudden shelter you know you have it ready with minimal prep.
I stay away from the mountain house stuff, just too expensive for crappy tasting food.
Everything I show here preps in minutes, tastes good, and has a secondary plus of being very sealed. No odor to attract bears and such and it all packs very well.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Make sure you get eggs that are not from a grocery store.
Breakfasts: I usually do flavored oatmeal, plus another type of oat cluster, and protein clusters and powdered milk.
Ex, Strawberry oatmeal, blueberry oat clusters and honey and oat protein.
Banana oatmeal, choco oat clusters and peanut butter protein clusters.
Its all in the cereal isle in resalable bags. A bit expensive buy you can make several breakfasts with them and change them to your liking. I use it for kayaking a lot.

Lunch: Raman and fried up spam. Add your favorite freeze fried veggies if you wish.
Or round flat bread from Trader Joes, packets of tuna, or salmon or what ever you prefer and mayo packets.

Dinner: Stove top broken up into serval days for meals.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Make sure you get eggs that are not from a grocery store.
Breakfasts: I usually do flavored oatmeal, plus another type of oat cluster, and protein clusters and powdered milk.
Ex, Strawberry oatmeal, blueberry oat clusters and honey and oat protein.
Banana oatmeal, choco oat clusters and peanut butter protein clusters.
Its all in the cereal isle in resalable bags. A bit expensive buy you can make several breakfasts with them and change them to your liking. I use it for kayaking a lot.

Lunch: Raman and fried up spam. Add your favorite freeze fried veggies if you wish.
Or round flat bread from Trader Joes, packets of tuna, or salmon or what ever you prefer and mayo packets.

Dinner: Stove top broken up into serval days for meals.
For the purpose of debate..... Why not eggs from a grocery store?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Lots of good recommendations in here! If you do go with a cheese brick, the dryer and sharper the cheese, the longer it lasts.

Are you staying at a lake or some camp for a few days? You can actually grow your own sprouts for some fresh greens.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Half the stuff the FDA approves backfires anyway, so i don't count on them as a reliable source.
I've been taking eggs hiking/camping for the last 25 years. The one time I did have a problem was with farm"fresh" eggs that were improperly washed and molded up in the carrier. Longest I have kept eggs was two weeks without refrigeration.

To be fair eggs are also my first source of protein I will use up when hiking/camping

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
I've been taking eggs hiking/camping for the last 25 years. The one time I did have a problem was with farm"fresh" eggs that were improperly washed and molded up in the carrier. Longest I have kept eggs was two weeks without refrigeration.

To be fair eggs are also my first source of protein I will use up when hiking/camping
Hmm. Bad luck.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:stupid:
I remember being three days into the back country with my dad, and burying a freeze dried Beef Stroganoff because it was so bad. That said the freeze dried stuff has improved a lot in the last 20 years. Hell, even a genuine MRE has come a long way. Filling, and generally tasty, but LOADED with sodium, like multiple hundreds of percents above suggested daily intake. I figure as long as it's only a couple days, no real harm in eating them. I'm okay usually with oatmeal and/or granola for breakfast and lunches, but I've got to have something more for dinner.

Also, last motorcycle trip I took a chance one these things:

I'm generally a believer that friends don't let friends drink starbucks, but for on the road or backpacking these are pretty awesome. Little packets take up almost no room, don't weigh very much, can be stashed almost anywhere, and deliver much needed morning caffeine.
for coffee, I bring (roasted) beans. I have one of these
upload_2017-8-29_16-58-59.jpeg
and one of these

upload_2017-8-29_16-59-16.jpeg
makes grrrrreat coffee. The grinder fits inside the aeropress, so it's pretty streamlined for camping. I have to admit, I haven't gone backpacking in a while, it's mostly been canoe-camping and a couple of car-camping trips where space isn't at a premium... But still, good coffee makes such a difference...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
for coffee, I bring (roasted) beans. I have one of these
View attachment 126342
and one of these

View attachment 126343
makes grrrrreat coffee. The grinder fits inside the aeropress, so it's pretty streamlined for camping. I have to admit, I haven't gone backpacking in a while, it's mostly been canoe-camping and a couple of car-camping trips where space isn't at a premium... But still, good coffee makes such a difference...
We take an aeropress and a grinder when car camping, and I've taken it on the press on the motorcycle, but it's a bit ambitious for backpacking.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
I have to admit, I haven't gone backpacking in a while, it's mostly been canoe-camping and a couple of car-camping trips where space isn't at a premium... But still, good coffee makes such a difference...
I hear that. Most of my camping as of lately as mostly all been kayak camping where space and weight isn't as much as an issue.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We take an aeropress and a grinder when car camping, and I've taken it on the press on the motorcycle, but it's a bit ambitious for backpacking.
I took the aeropress when backpacking in Iceland. Wasn't a big deal, I certainly didn't bring a grinder.

Backpacking pro-tip. Take some paper shop towels and put them in a 1 gallon ziplock bag with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. Makes for a nice sponge bath. Keeps ya clean and stink free, also good for disinfecting all the little scratches and cuts you tend to get in the wilderness.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This. Those Via tubes are super-nice for backpacking. They literally weigh *nothing* and a couple tossed into a cup makes a nice, strong backcountry cuppa joe.

Add to that that there is basically nothing to pack out (other than the insignificant foil tube), and they win.