Quantcast

Backup Bookmarks?

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
I'm trying to find my internet bookmark folder in my C drive, to be able to back up the extensive list of links and web addresses it now contains. Where the F is it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:banghead:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
- From the "File" menu of IE there's an option to Import or Export your bookmarks. Follow the built-in wizard.

- Browse to your "C:" Drive > Documents and Settings folder > the folder with your name on it > Then into the favorites folder.

C:\documents and settings\your name\favorites

D

d-sop

do you use firefox? download the del.icio.us extension. you can not only back up, but see your b-marks anywhere.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Thanks for the advice guys…
I was away from my computer for most of the day yesterday.

I’ve been trying the C:\documents and settings\your name\favorites approach, I use a yahoo browser.

When I get to favorites in C, I choose the yahoo bookmarks folder (which happens to be the folder I’m after). It seems as though this folder does not contain web addresses or links of any type, when I click on this folder it just opens my browser which then allows me to drop down my bookmark list from the tool bar.

Since the addresses are in my browser toolbar they must be located somewhere in my C, right?

Man I’m frustrated! And still :banghead:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Do you think I should? I’ve been wanting to try it out for some time now. My only fear is possibly losing all my current bookmarks, or will it transfer them over to the new browser upon install??
I'm pretty sure it asks if you want to import your IE bookmarks. Besides, you won't lose them - they'll still be in IE.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Firefox definitely gives you the option to import your IE bookmarks when you install it. Go for it, it's a good browser, even though it's a rather round about way to backup your bookmarks ;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm pretty sure it asks if you want to import your IE bookmarks. Besides, you won't lose them - they'll still be in IE.
Yep.

Firefox automatically makes backups of the bookmarks too. The bookmarks are all stored in a single .html file which can be viewed as a page in any browser or edited with any text editor. (instead of the single favorites files in IE)

It will be in a directory something like:

"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\something.default\bookmarkbackups