Quantcast

Backup Solution?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by woodsguy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. woodsguy

woodsguy gets infinity MPG

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    Anyone know of a way to back up my photos to an external drive? I've tried a few programs and they all put the photos in some weird cabinets. I want a copy of the photos on the drive that I can browse and use on other computers. Sure I can just copy them over but I want it to automatically add new photos. I've seen ways to mirror a drive to an external drive but I only want my photos (and not all my photos, just the ones in my photos drive. I don't want to back up my work photos).

Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    83 / 361
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

SyncToy is just a tiny executable that will do whatever kind of sync you want (sync both ways, sync one way, only add but don't delete, etc.) - published by Microsoft. You specify the source and destination folders.

It doesn't have a built-in scheduler, but it can be called from the command line so you can use Task Scheduler to run regular jobs.

#2 -   Jul 1, 2012
  3. woodsguy

woodsguy gets infinity MPG

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    That looks like just what I was looking for! Thanks! :)

#3 -   Jul 1, 2012
  4. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    83 / 361
    :monkeydance:

rsync is a little more technically sophisticated but I like the simplicity of SyncToy. There are a number of variations on rsync, though, both command line and GUI, if you ever decide you want some more granular control over the sync process.

#4 -   Jul 1, 2012