Quantcast

backwards manual

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
Can anyone tell me how to do a backwards manual? like saying im doing a fakie and i want to do a manual whats the best way to do this?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
don't need a coaster. it's a balance point thing.
Wouldn't it be a lot harder to learn a fakie manual while backpedaling than while not having to back pedal?

Also, just to get technical, if you're back pedaling, wouldn't that be a fakie wheelie? Wheel = pedaling, manual = no pedaling (if I'm not mistaken). Just sayin', that's all. :nerd:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Lean back. I don't think there's much of a trick to this, other then balance, which comes from practice...

I can do them ok on my 20inch but only if I 180 strait into them. Coaster or cassette doesn't matter, it's about balancing... *meaning, you can do the trick with either type of rear wheel. Some may find it easier to learn with one or the other though.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
I would think it would be easier without a coaster, in the same way that nose manuals/endos are easier with a front brake. I know that when I try them (I 180 into it), I automatically just spin right back around, like a 360 tire-tap. I'm still working on getting around this.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
hmmm. maybe i'll go work on that tonight with a freewheel.... i used to do em with a freecoaster, but still never had it fully dialed like a regular manual.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
try this. find a wall to nose bonk into. as you are popping back fakie from hitting the wall with your front wheel, pull up (manual) as you pedal back. sounds crazy but it's a solid way to get the fundamentals of backwards manuals.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Wouldn't it be a lot harder to learn a fakie manual while backpedaling than while not having to back pedal?

Also, just to get technical, if you're back pedaling, wouldn't that be a fakie wheelie? Wheel = pedaling, manual = no pedaling (if I'm not mistaken). Just sayin', that's all. :nerd:
If you had a fixed hub, or moved your drivetrain to the opposite side without swapping hubs, you might have a point.
Otherwise, NOT. :crazy: :D

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
wouldnt it be easier with a normal hub? I mean then you could control how high your going per say.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
it depends if you're any good with a coaster or not. easier with a coaster. however, those maryland boys have something in their water. foley and hittle both kill fakie mannies, with cassettes. kranked, that was one of the last intelligent things i've heard from you in a while.

foley, and foley and hittle and other dudes. you're wrong.
http://vimeo.com/2000870
http://vimeo.com/1628021

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
lean far back behind your wheel and put some tension/resistance on the cranks when back pedaling so it keeps the front end up. I have been trying to learn myself.

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Backwards manuals look much cooler without a freecoaster, in my opinion. Look up some of Smoker Dave's videos on youtube. He does killer backwards sh!t without a freecoaster.