Quantcast

Backyard bliss, or MY own f'ing jumps!

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
well we pushed a lot of dirt yesterday. got the berm rebuilt and a nine foot table top. today we'll shape it in and side fill it...by the end of the day it will be a rideable jump. yesterday it was just chuck and i, today we have 1 possibly 2 others showing. ultimately it should it up being at least 3 tables, and if enough dirt if left a 4th.
:picsstfu: ...i know i know, pics WILL follow today. i have to get a photobucket account so i can post the pics, but there were plenty of them taken yesterday.

zero, dc, tat, n'name, crackhead err, crackien, when are y'all slack bastigges gonna make it out???

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
hes down souf in surrey. bout 45 mintues from norfolk. your gunna be out tehre today adam? i'm headin back down from arlington so i'll be passin by, i'll drop ian a line see if he wants to meet me up there, may be kinda late though now that i think about it. seeing as its nearly 3 and i'm not really realy do leave yet... so maybe not haha

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
hes down souf in surrey. bout 45 mintues from norfolk. your gunna be out tehre today adam? i'm headin back down from arlington so i'll be passin by, i'll drop ian a line see if he wants to meet me up there, may be kinda late though now that i think about it. seeing as its nearly 3 and i'm not really realy do leave yet... so maybe not haha
Surry? How far away from the Jamestown Furry? My 'rents live right off of Jamestown Rd. in Billysburg.
I may do more riding than visiting(eating, drinking beer, taking up space) this Thanksgiving.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
uploading them to photo bucket as we speak...
the lip is still pretty wet but i was coming very close to clearing the table today. there is enough time for about 1-2 pedal strokes coming out of the berm.
log ride in front yard
the log ride gods truly smiled on me with this one, not only did it fall perfectly on an existing stump, to give it a little hump, before it was felled (sp?) the dude had cut a limb off that was pretty damn big. well it fell dead nuts straight down so the end of the ride is a drop off. there are two stumps in back ground just to the right of the 'on ramp' eventually i'll link them up so it'll be ramp up, skinn/bridge from stump to stump, ramp down and link up with the log ride

berm in progress, we call it the bunker berm right now because its about 3-4 feet thick
the backside of the berm is bulkheaded up with hardwood, eventually its either going to be a dual line berm or berm low, wall ride high...not sure yet

completed berm

first table in progress

almost done

berm in action

this shot gives you an idea of the distance from the berm to the first table. note the two stumps to the right, they will eventually be something too. at this point i'm torn between a nice long skinny and two teeters...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Can you just magically move all of this to somewhere in Chesafreak or Virginless Beach?

By the way, is that sand or snow by your berm? Dumb to ask, but it was nippy today.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
it WAS grass, but the tractor that brought in the dirt pretty much destroyed my back yard, so that is sand that you see now. it didnt help that RIGHT after i brought the dirt in, we received somewhere betweeen 12-18" of rain in less than 48 hrs. i also lost sh!t ton of dirt from my piles but oh well its only dirt ($85/dump truck load)

concerning the remarks/suggestions about the berm, can you be more specific as it is a compound curve so to speak. do you mean the radius of the 'line' of the berm or the radius of the 'face' of the berm. that picture is slightly misleading because the berm isnt done, and the ground actually slopes downward from the start to the finish of the berm. even though it was still slightly wet, i had no problem carrying speed through it to hit the first jump. more pics will be posted tonight after i load them to my pb account.

theg1ant

Monkey
Oct 20, 2006
Atlanta
Surry? How far away from the Jamestown Furry? My 'rents live right off of Jamestown Rd. in Billysburg.
I may do more riding than visiting(eating, drinking beer, taking up space) this Thanksgiving.
I know where surry is Colin :). One set of grandparents are in VA beach and the other are in Smithfield.

Peete it isnt too far from the ferry.

Oh. (this question is directed at ridetoofast) when im in the area with my grandparents what places are there to ride dj park or urban (not that there are any big citys in that immediat area anyways) in the surry/smithfield area besides nike park.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
I know where surry is Colin :). One set of grandparents are in VA beach and the other are in Smithfield.

Peete it isnt too far from the ferry.

Oh. (this question is directed at ridetoofast) when im in the area with my grandparents what places are there to ride dj park or urban (not that there are any big citys in that immediat area anyways) in the surry/smithfield area besides nike park.
nofvck has some decent erbOn (n'name, crack, tat) can speak to that. also, w'm is surprisingly good, the harrasment factor is low, and its not uncommon to have, er, um, pleasant spectators that just happen to be milling about the campus. i've not gone yet but i've even seen a few places in smithfield that looked like they'd be fun, i just don't know how long it would take the pork to show. lemme know next time yer gonna be down and we'll go for a spin.

forgot to mention vb has a skate bark that allows bike but the grom factor can be bad. also there is ipswitch that has dj's and at least one log ride (i hope it hasnt been trashed)
again crack/n'name/tat will have to speak to that...i've not been there in a while.

provided i make some decent progress in the next few days/weekends, by the time you come visit you can come dj here.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Just a thought, sand may not be the best material for the berm, but it could be just me...:p
That's 'cause you not from da beach magn. Down here we have to use what we can to make what we need.

Honestly, all there is around here is sand unless you're willing to throw down for baseball diamond clay, which would require a second mortgage and putting noname on the corner in a schoolgirl outfit to finanace.

I am out of town this weekend, but I might be able to talk the Bandito and the BmAXEicant (long story) into a trip down. Truth be told the table over all that lumber makes my pucker tense up, and not in the good, milking way. However, its your world, I'm just eating in it.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
well i had just recently cut down some trees that were a fall hazard to my house and i dint want to pay to have them hauled off so i thought they'd make good filler. otherwise a table of that size would be about a dump truck full of dirt just by itself. by the time we actually jump it, its going to have more clay over it. also, i am going to get some calcium shizzle to harden the jumps.

edit
as long as you go fast enough you dont have to worry about landing on the top now do you??? i seem to remember something about you being a racer boi so speed shouldnt be a problem now should it? :nuts:
`

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
nofvck has some decent erbOn (n'name, crack, tat) can speak to that. also,

forgot to mention vb has a skate bark that allows bike but the grom factor can be bad. also there is ipswitch that has dj's and at least one log ride (i hope it hasnt been trashed)
again crack/n'name/tat will have to speak to that...i've not been there in a while.

I have been off the urban scene for some time. Too many men of the law roving around on overfed rejects from the glue and dog food company for my comfort level. I also just suck, and tend to bounce off of the ground more then the normal human. As such, I have now developed a Klan level prejudice against urban riding.

Things at the 'Switch are in an interesting place right now. The park is having a bit of a rebirth, but within some very structured lines. Some of us are working on a new, if we don't know you and you ride our line, we'll kill you and your family, sort of line, which we'd be happy to share once its done, with the right sort of people. DC40, Noname, Sir, all of you are those sort of folk. Once we get the main front section done in the next couple weeks, and get the run in worked out with some turfstone, it ought to be hotter then Paris Hilton with the Clap.

A lot of the other lines in the Switch are getting kind of hammered. The warm-up line has gone to striaght suck lately, the main redneck in charge is working at the pace of a parapalegic hurtler on an ether binge, so that line is sort of SOL at this point. The big half of 264 was dozed this week, but thankfully some artful fellatio on some of our parts saved the original line there.

We are in the process of getting the entire show legitimized, cleaned up, built proper and keeping 50's out of the park.

Long story short, its an interesting scene down here in beach land.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
edit
as long as you go fast enough you dont have to worry about landing on the top now do you??? i seem to remember something about you being a racer boi so speed shouldnt be a problem now should it? :nuts:
`
I'll jump it because I'm just dumb like that, wood just makes me nervous when its exposed.

As to my "racer boi" status, I guess I could be a racer in the buffet all star class. Fast and skilled I am not, but damn if I am not hungry.

I will see what I can do about mustering a group effort to come down. Bridget is going to be working the first weekend of November, so provided I am not working or running off to the west coast, I will make all deliberate orchestrations to produce some sweat equity.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
dont sweat the exposed stuff. it wont be exposed by the time you get here. i know there is a joke in there somewhere about exposed wood, but ill leave that to you an n'name. the sweat equity thing would be cool. tim's got my number so give me a buzz when yer ready to come out.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
cops in my part of town are a-holes. they really enjoy hiding in parking lots with their lights off and the moment your wheels come of the ground they'll get ya. so thats essentialy capt. crackien's job haha. havent really gotten round many other parts of the norfvck but there looks like theres lots of potential. VB has some decent stuff. spent some time down there, fun. g1ant (i'll save from using yoru real name so pervs like tattooo dont track you down) lemme know when your coming down we'll go ride. we'll let you ride our fun stuff too if your nice to me and bring me thin mints and ****....

i still like AXEican american better...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So would that make you an Axeican American?
You would nicely fill our affirmative action quota if that was the case.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
"Udaho, an equal oppurtunity employer."

too bad i couldnt use that to get some scholarships and sh!t.....could of gotten me in to a better school too probably....

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
i believe you meant to say

"if we believed in work"

although i guess we are all unemployed at the moment. although el bandito is still dreading the work week ahead....
is that the same as dreading the future that will never come?

theg1ant

Monkey
Oct 20, 2006
Atlanta
nofvck has some decent erbOn (n'name, crack, tat) can speak to that. also, w'm is surprisingly good, the harrasment factor is low, and its not uncommon to have, er, um, pleasant spectators that just happen to be milling about the campus. i've not gone yet but i've even seen a few places in smithfield that looked like they'd be fun, i just don't know how long it would take the pork to show. lemme know next time yer gonna be down and we'll go for a spin.

provided i make some decent progress in the next few days/weekends, by the time you come visit you can come dj here.

I know about the mount trashmore skate park (i assume thats what your talking about) and i know about ipswitch norfolk and wm campus. I was wondering if there is anything closer to the area because my grandparents dont wanna drive me too far. I do get to go to nike park when they are at the farmers market. Downtown smithfield (if you can really call it downtown) does look like it has a few interesting things. A ledge or 2 a few interesting skinnys and maby a wallride but other than that the only reason i ride down there is to get some hersheys icecream down at the icecream parlor.

theg1ant

Monkey
Oct 20, 2006
Atlanta
Im always down for about a week during the summer and maby for some time during the winter/spring brakes. I usually get my roadie on down there (yes on an stp :biggrin: ) but if im down in smithfield ill try to hook up for a ride (nike skate park maby?) Im gonna visit ipswitch when im in va beach and ill be at the Trashmore Skate park alot because its 2 miles from my va beach granparents house

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
nice! looks like the diggin is payin off, is there anything after that table?

building, seeing it finished and then riding it, doesn't get much better then that!

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Another suggestion would be to chop out the middle of that table and build some more features with that dirt. If you really feel you need the table in the middle build it out of wood.