Quantcast

Backyard bliss, or MY own f'ing jumps!

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
b'man, the unfortunate truth it, it isnt always the people that sue, at times, they are FORCED to sue by their insurance company if they (ic) become aware of the location of the injury.
while i agree with the intent of your idea, reality and insurance companies are not nearly as nice...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Waivers don't mean dick. Any semi-competent lawyer can get around them with the "unforseeable and unreasonable" risk trick.

RTF knows what he's doing, in this I have faith.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Waivers don't mean dick. Any semi-competent lawyer can get around them with the "unforseeable and unreasonable" risk trick.

RTF knows what he's doing, in this I have faith.
I know, and yet everyone seems to want to argue that point. A waiver essentially makes the owner feel good. However, Virginia and like 5 other states are waiver friendly. Because VA is a "Contributory Negligent" state.

Huge theoretical discussion here...so I'll forgo it...

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
yea, so if you can't trust your friends not to sue you (odd??)...maybe you shouldn't build jumps in your yard at all

...especially if you build "sketchy" jumps

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Its not so much not being able to trust your buddies, I don't think that is the issue here. Its not being able to trust their health insurance company and that company's lawyer. If they can find any way what-so-ever to offset the cost of you being a high flying space monkey who made contact with the ground in a less then pleasing way, they will do it with or without your consent.

SK is right in the respect that this is a contributory neg state. Might I suggest a warning sign something akin to a swimming pool or a ski area. Its not the proverbial bullet proof vest against law suits, but it does do some preemptive damage control.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
its nice to know about waiver friendly status
signs will be posted
ian can you and company make it out this sun?
i am attending the last 12 hr advent race of the season as crew support sat so that is shot but i have every intention of moving dirt
sunday...would really appreciate it if'n y'all could make it out.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
We're in Wburg that morning, but we might be able to stop on the way back for a couple hours of slinging. It will just be the Bandito and I as far as I know, zero is out of town and I am not sure what tim's status is.

I'll call tonight.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
update
just finished a night dj session...a couple of firsts for me. first time i've ever n'djd and also the first time ive done it here. the flood light on my deck, a carport light, and my 4 runner --> plenty of light.

just couldn't pass up this warm weather, but i'll damn sure jump in the cold too. tried to take pics but camera just isnt good enough for night time sports setting.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
nice! looks like the diggin is payin off, is there anything after that table?

building, seeing it finished and then riding it, doesn't get much better then that!
meant to answer sooner and forgot. no there isnt anything there yet...but with the speed that can be had on the down side of the first table, the second one is going to have to be about 15' so as to not over shoot. right not the lip is shallow so it shoots you a bit more out than up, but i have NO problem clearing to the down ramp.

yes, castle, this is the first time ive ever built dj's from scratch, and its fan-fvcking-tastic. i come home from work with about 35 min of light left, and basically just run a circuit around my house. i carry enough speed off the back of the ramp that i can almost coast all the way up to the other side of the house, which lines me up for the start of the run up to the jump. out of the camera, up towards the carport, is where the line starts, and its a nice long gradual turn leaving you about 4-5 pedal strokes at most and then right into the berm. i'm on a full squish so i soke up the tranny a bit. i'd bet the hard tailer's that try it will almost have to brake check, or just come into the berm nice and easy, because you can sling shot out of it real nice.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Sorry we didn't make it today. We assumed since it was deluge time that you didn't want people mucking up your yard with holes and slung dirt.

I will make it up there with crew in hand one of these days, just sort of complex right now with holidays, work, all that.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
meant to answer sooner and forgot. no there isnt anything there yet...but with the speed that can be had on the down side of the first table, the second one is going to have to be about 15' so as to not over shoot. right not the lip is shallow so it shoots you a bit more out than up, but i have NO problem clearing to the down ramp.
did you ever consider just making it taller/steeper insteed of longer? More height less distance.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I love your lawyer talk. I just coated myself in crisco and then proceeded to hump a Black's Law until I got where I needed to because of your words.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
well, i had to jump it a few times once it was packed to figure out if it was even worth a damn. yes it will be reshaped but that cvnt mother nature sure as hell hasn't been very cooperative...
find a good ballance between the two of hight and distance (approx. 30-45degrees. 45 is the optimal launch angle for the longest distance but with suspension and stuff i like it better at like 30 degrees. you gotta go big both ways. high and far.

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
Its not so much not being able to trust your buddies, I don't think that is the issue here. Its not being able to trust their health insurance company and that company's lawyer. If they can find any way what-so-ever to offset the cost of you being a high flying space monkey who made contact with the ground in a less then pleasing way, they will do it with or without your consent.

SK is right in the respect that this is a contributory neg state. Might I suggest a warning sign something akin to a swimming pool or a ski area. Its not the proverbial bullet proof vest against law suits, but it does do some preemptive damage control.
So, if you post signs or waivers in the typical "fine print" fashion, you can still get sued, is that right?

Well, then maybe you should build jumps on public land, right?

Yea, and when some kid roosts your lips on his 50, you can piss and moan about all day on Ridemonkey, slowley decimateing a forum into a perverbial "Dramamonkey".

Sweeet.

Diablo or SS anyone? Maybe some Whistler??

Sh!t, at least you won't have to worry about getting sued...

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
So, if you post signs or waivers in the typical "fine print" fashion, you can still get sued, is that right?

Yea, and when some kid roosts your lips on his 50, you can piss and moan about all day on Ridemonkey, slowley decimateing a forum into a perverbial "Dramamonkey".

Sweeet.

hey paris
until you've been down there and seen what kind of tools we have to deal with why don't you have a nice warm glass of STFU!!!!!!!!

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails

Sweeet.

hahaha true dat

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Alright I guess I'll join in the fray here and just let you guys know that I'm another DJ/Street rider in Williamsburg. I don't know anyone else in the area so It'd be great to meet up w/other riders. I'm 35 and started riding DJ and Street again a couple of months ago. I've been out of it for about 7 years but man it came back fast. I know of 3 DJ trails (all of which look like they haven't been ridden in a long time) on the Peninsula and I often go to the BMX track in Hampton. I ride the W-burg skatepark and some other low key street spots around the Peninsula and want to check out the VB and Richmond scene. I'm also trying to convince the EVMA to lobby James City County to allow the construction of a pumptrack with the hopes of expanding to a DJ park. If you're interested please let the EVMA know. If anyone wants to ride let me know. It's good to see that I'm not alone around here. I was beginning to think I was...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So what is the next project at your house?

I need to finish my own fire pit jump, then I can put in a weekend day or two. There is still a lot for the Bandito, Zero and I to finish on our new line at the park, but while its hardening I am sure we can be moved to make some trips up.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
update
my neighbor just cleared some land...i now have more filler for table #2 which will be complete this weekend. 17ft lip to lip damn i can't wait to hit that.
i've also find new lines in the ravine behind my house. multiple, interconnecting logrides. my other neighbor has a chop saw, so i'm going to set up a production line and crank out a ton of wood at once, so aside from some line sanitation, the new wood line will be up and running shortly. shutdown starts 12/22 so i'll be doing lots of building/cutting then.
in total there will be 3 tables, split berm, one going into step down/trail feeder, other going to 3 successive berms to step down.

there are mulitple teeters planned as well, two of which will feed into log/elevated ride mentioned above.
i also have a big spool that i'd like to pimp into a rotating stunt, sort of like a switching rail for a train.

DC40

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
I don't have work on 12/22, so I can up that day or that weekend, should be free the next weekend too.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I might be talked into doing a caravan/carpool up to you on Friday. What time are we thinking we'd want to kick this into drive?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
my vacation starts at 330 12/22 and goes to 1/2 7am...
ive got to study my ass off for the gmat, but im going to be building some jumps too...so any time after 330. i get up early on the weekends.

i took my first high speed soil sample today, went into the berm a little hot/high and both wheels went right over the top of the berm, and my forearms became skid plates. fortunately, the face plant did not occur and only the visor of the lid had a minor scrape on it.

my buddy mason stopped by and both of us were trying to work up the speed to hit table 2, and we came to the conclusion that table 1 needs to be reworked or you have to hit it straight up racer boy style fast and flat. of course a hardtail will probably smoke it with no problem, but we were both on full sussers with his being a full blown cali dh'r (foes).

if'n y'all are gonna come out for sure, i'll pick up grubbage and a keg.
the floors are done in my house so the pool table and dart board are both set up for post ride entertainment.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
update
dc40, realllly old school :monkey: -->a20mmqr showed up to help a brotha out.
the project was to link together the previously pictured log rides into one
stump lowering for more shallow tranny

landing slot for first runner

first runner landed

slotting other end

other end landed

landing 2nd runner

2nd runner landed, starting to deck

getting there

going the other direction from the stump
2 landings already slotted and in place

different angle

other end of this run, trimming the ledge

stump/ramp at beginning of run

side view of onramp above

what you see when you crest the ramp above

if you look in pic above you can see a spool, this is what it looks like if you at the spool looking back

the loose planking is just a rough layout of the rest of the loop, the intent being to be able to do a complete route in either direction