Quantcast

Backyard bliss, or MY own f'ing jumps!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
We're gonna be back up there tomorrow slinging dirt on the second table and some rollers going into the berm.

Any local slingers down to help?

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
come on over whenever you feel like it. i have a minor truck issue to deal with. ian i might need to sponge a charge off of you. i tried jumping the truck this morning and nada, but couldn't really let it charge long as the room mate had to go to work.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Hey Adam it was a good time on Saturday. I appreciate you inviting me over and letting me ride and help build. I'm looking forward to more of the same. BTW, your yard is shaping up to be pretty darn sick. I'm really digging (pun intended) the backyard line.
Ian, James, Toby... Good times.
Let's do it again soon. Anybody up for riding this week? Name the place.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I was going to ride Gatewood in the AM. But our best friends from the local group are going to be there, and as much as I would love to start 07 off with some gangsta ****, I am resisting the impulse to get all Ice Cube up on the hizzy.

Or something.

Hampton Super this week, that much I know. From there, maybe later this month back at the dig site?

Adam, when we seeing the new pics?

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Yeah, no need to bring Compton to Newport News:)
Looks like Ma Nature soaked everything real good last nite anyway. Probably wise to stay off the jumps for a day or two. BTW, I went out to Gatewood yesterday afternoon and it looked like some thoughtful XC rider decided to try to ride over the DJ's and bashed his/her chainring into the top of the biggest double their. Took a little out of the top. Nothing unfixable but a pain in the arse none the less.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
matt, ian, james...thanks again for coming out.
i have bad news about the berm. my neighbor is going to put in a drive way right at the property line, so pretty much from just before the apex until just before the exit, i'm on his property so the berm has to move. in and of itself, that isn't the problem...for it to remain the same shape i'll have to move the car port. toby came up with the idea of running it just inside the 'port, which would be fine if i didnt intend to close in the carport sometime this year, so now i have ANOTHER project.

pics will be up in a little bit.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So what are we thinking logistically to move the thing? If he marks his line, then we can work around that, but I don't think we're going to need to move the carport more then a meter or two diagonally towards the house.

On the upside, all we need to do is roll the logs over.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
yeah its going to take about 3-4' and we'll be golden. getting it out of the ground won't be hard, but to move it all at once i'm going to need a crew...say like 10 dudes, and even then i'm not looking forward to it at all. honestly i think were going to find that its too heavy to move without disassembly which is out of the question.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
foundation for new berm
egyptian style log rollin' action, this thing was easily a couple hundred pounds

entrance

midway, backside

small double just before 2nd (used to be 1st) berm

old 2nd table

new 2nd table

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Those pics turned out nice.

Wife is working Saturday again, so I can get James and I up there to throw again.

What about if you were to rent one of those walk behind bob cats? I need to use one here at my house, so I would be willing to bring it up for Saturday, and we could split a Friday/Saturday rental cost.

If we had that, and a couple more stacks of dirt, we could finish that berm, drop in two new jumps, and be until the next time we feel all motivated.

Let's talk it over, see if I can't get us some more labor up there.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
yeah man that sounds good. any idea of cost? give me a ring next day or so and we'll see what we can't figure out. of course, since we are actually planning this, i have no hope of mother nature cooperating...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
They are about $90 a day to rent.

I know this will get the job done, and then some. If this looks like overkill, then there is the Toro Dingo.

Give me a call Wednesday, so that way if I need to make reservations to rent it, I will have time to make sure I have one.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
We're in for Saturday. Wife is off Sunday, so I have to factor my schedule around that. Damn if I'm not her bitch...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Get your homo, friend of Jeebus, salad tossing NOVA ass back down here. You're not doing ****, get back Friday, you frigging 'mo.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I can pull it up there behind the truck, I found one that comes with the trailer, so I can bring it and some gas with me. James will be in to sling some dirt too.

If I wasn't off beer I would say that we could have a substantial relive of last Saturday night, but the Bandito can drink and I'll drive us home.

So you've got me and James. David, Matt, Zero, any of you in to do some work?

If you got two more piles of dirt like your neighbor we can do the berm, and two more tables easy peasy.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
We can move the car port with the bobcat and a long 4x4. After we're done with moving it, we can cut it up and use it either in a jump or as part of stays to hold the berm in place.

Or play nice with the neighbor, find out exactly where the line is for his property, and go right to the very edge.

As another thought, we can make a straight line down from the other edge of the car port, put in a couple more pump rollers, take out the edge of the wood work there. Either way...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
they are actually pretty damn great, easy to hit, easy to land (after some modifications). Toofast is being smart, building stuff that beginners can ride to learn up on, but at the same time it has enough pop and good times for those who have been to a couple rodeos.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Ok hoss, what's the plan. Do I need to call them and make the reservation?

I would suggest we run it down the right side (if you're looking in at it from the street) of the car port, put in some pumps/doubles, and then berm into the double that is there now.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
just got off the phone w/ian
walk behind cat $190 day
sit down cat $375 day....ouch

bcmlargehuge....if'n yer off early come over today, i'm jetting at 230
be home by 330 to do some riding!
call me
anyone else that is near by that wants to ride, come on over

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Dang! I was off today but just checked the board and saw that you invited me over Adam. I rode Ipswich, Driver's Nation (not good for 26's), and the Hampton BMX track today. Somebody was busy over the last couple of days at Ipswich. The beginner line is actually looking pretty good. A good amount of dirt was added and there's a new line that branches off to the left.
Looks like I'll be available to come over and lend a hand on Saturday.
BTW, I took every Tuesday and Thursday off this month to go snowboarding but the weather has been so warm that Wintergreen is in real bad shape. So unless winter returns and Wintergreen can get some snow on the mountain I'll be riding so if anyone wants to play hookie from work let me know.
Oh yeah, my cell phone died so PM me or just post on here if you wanna reach me.

DC40

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Ya, I rode a couple times last week there. The bmx kids just built that new line off to the left. They plan on adding few more jumps and a berm.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
got home in time today to hit the new double and 2nd table. i believe its a combination of my lack of skill, 7" travel bike, and still slightly soft dirt, i consistently had to pedal out of the berm to have enough speed to clear the 1st table to set up for the 2nd. despite that i was able to hit the 2nd one every time and clear. it has a nice pop to it and the subsequent arc is nice and mellow. the bummer is that the landing of every jump (1st double, 1st/2nd table) are still a little gooy and i was rutting them pretty bad. the rain, if we get it tomorrow, isnt going to help.
i can say the log rides are doable in the rain (light of course) and at night. on several occasions we've sessioned them in those conditions.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So then Saturday will be a true build day with wet dirt.
Are you still thinking we want to get the walk behind? I gave you a ring, no answer, call me back.

Also, are you planning on getting more dirt? If you're getting more dirt, then I'd advocate the machine, but for what is there now, it might be a waste of money and power.

What are we thinking in regards to the reroute with the berm?

Call me in the morning. I did a road ride this AM, hit Freedom this afternoon, and then busted it out at the gym, so I am a tired, but some what lighter, fat kid currently.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
potentially bad news
might not be able to get dirt until late next week.
we could still do some minor digging, fill in what is left, layout the
remainder, and i could pick up the shizzle i need to improve drainage.
actually, it might be a good idea to just go ahead and get that worked out now so its done and over with, and then finish the jump line, or
work on both next weekend because i really should be studying for my GMAT.
ian give me a call and tell me what you think.
those that have said they can come out, how would next weekend work? its going to be a 3 day weekend anyways...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
The wife has retasked us for tomorrow. She wants the yard done before my mother gets to town. Something about "she'd never have a yard like that..."

So we're down on the south side for the weekend. Next weekend mom is in town (not canada, have my dates all bass ackwards) so I am out that weekend too. Maybe mid-January?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
looks like we are going to work the ass end of the jump line...the 3
berms that i want to put in the woods and finish off side loading table 2 so if'n y'all still want to come out that'd be cool. just checked the radar and it looks clear for the rest of the day.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Sorry, with things shaping up the way they did I figured we'd be putting off 'til next weekend and made alternate plans with the spousal unit.