Quantcast

Bad allergies?

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
so, i get allergies really bad, like, can't breathe out of my nose and my eyes are super red, watery and itchy. I've been taking Allegra/Claritin/Sudafed and none of those seem to work. Anybody else get allergies? Have a suggestion of what to use?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Have you been on a prescription or are you taking OTC medicine?

If all of your stuff thus far has been OTC, get yourself to a doctor and have him give you a prescription. My girlfriend tried OTC meds for her allergies and got nowhere, but her prescription works great.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i used to have the worst allergies on the face of the planet. nothing worked for me (flonase, claritin, etc.) and i was misserable all the time. then i quit smoking and my allergies dissapeared. some times in the beginning of spring they give me a little trouble but other than that i have been symptom free for years. you don't smoke do you?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Zyrtec is the best medicine i've used although it's prescription only. Also flonase for your nose works good.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I have them pretty bad in the early spring. Some years they are really bad, others, like this one, i havent had any trouble. Claritin seems to work for the itchy nose and eyes, but the thing that gets me the most is the itchy throat... :dead: '

For me non of the prescrition stuff used to work. Claritin used to be prescription as well a few years back.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
mobius said:
Also flonase for your nose works good.

I could never get down with the whole 'squirting somthing up your nose deal'. And the dry/sore throat was a bummer.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
mack said:
I could never get down with the whole 'squirting somthing up your nose deal'. And the dry/sore throat was a bummer.
What about snorting? :p Yeah i don't use it much i rarely have to my allergies are bad in early spring but lighten up and just leave me alone after a bit.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
binary visions said:
Have you been on a prescription or are you taking OTC medicine?

If all of your stuff thus far has been OTC, get yourself to a doctor and have him give you a prescription. My girlfriend tried OTC meds for her allergies and got nowhere, but her prescription works great.
well, i used to take Flonase for a bit, but that was about 2 years ago, and it just kept getting incessant for having to spray random crap up my nose every 20 minutes and look like a nerd. A family friend who is a MD gave me a bunch of Allegra and they still don't work, i'll have to give her a talking to.

laura said:
i used to have the worst allergies on the face of the planet. nothing worked for me (flonase, claritin, etc.) and i was misserable all the time. then i quit smoking and my allergies dissapeared. some times in the beginning of spring they give me a little trouble but other than that i have been symptom free for years. you don't smoke do you?
yea, I've gotta lay off the crack pipe...
no, actually, i'm not a smoker, in fact, i can't stand it. one thing that works for me is to actually go out and exercise in the fresh air. I went XC biking on saturday, and it really opened my nose up. After I had showered and gotten back on the couch, I was miserable again. it sucked buttage.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
manziman said:
so, i get allergies really bad, like, can't breathe out of my nose and my eyes are super red, watery and itchy. I've been taking Allegra/Claritin/Sudafed and none of those seem to work. Anybody else get allergies? Have a suggestion of what to use?
Go to the Dr. might take a while for you to get relief, but eventually you'll get it. I get allergy shots once a month, and take a cortisone nose spray 2x a day, PLUS allergy eye drops and a claritin when necessary...it'll be another 2.5 years of shots before I'm done, but so far it's been worht it.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
dh girlie said:
Go to the Dr. might take a while for you to get relief, but eventually you'll get it. I get allergy shots once a month, and take a cortisone nose spray 2x a day, PLUS allergy eye drops and a claritin when necessary...it'll be another 2.5 years of shots before I'm done, but so far it's been worht it.
ok, I will look into that. it sounds promising, and i'm tired of going through this stuff. it sounds like you take a lot of stuff just for one day of relief.

LOOnatic said:
Side note: Flonase works great 4 me.
yea, i tried it..and it just wasn't working that well for my body.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
manziman said:
ok, I will look into that. it sounds promising, and i'm tired of going through this stuff. it sounds like you take a lot of stuff just for one day of relief.

It sucks, but it'll be worth it...the shots work really well, I just have a day here or there when it's really bad...but I'll be rid of it for life soon...

J

JRB

manziman said:
Now that I am done being funny, flonase didn't work for me. Claritin made my head hurt. They over medicated me enough that I got tired of it and just started dealing with it. I hope you get them healed up. I hated them.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Manzi- I am in the same boat bra, soooo miserable it is just unbearable. I have many friends that have done the allergy shots at Kaiser and they have all had wonderful results. It is time consuming and you have to get shots for like 5 weeks straight two times a week but then it's over. Forever. I am calling to get my appointment tomorrow as you have to wait until allergy season is over but this is just too mush suffering. I hope that helps. Come up with BenJammin this summer and stay for downieville eh? Cell number is the same, good to see you at the otter.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
My wife is a nurse and she can't stand for me to go around sniffin' and sneezin' and raisin' hell. I've had chronic allergies since early childhood and I've just learned to deal with it. I've tried everything but shots. She's been trying to get me to do that but I absolutely HATE going to the doctor for some reason. This season, the best fix by far has been allegra D. Makes you jittery as all get out but I breathe well with no real side effects. I can even cut grass w/o a mask which is always good...

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Manziman if you don't already i suggest drinking green tea. It helps me ive been drinking it religiously like 4 cups a day for the past 3 weeks and my allergies and itching and redness in eyes have gone down a lot. But i thinkt he redness in eyes has gone down since im in a transition period of my ummm hobbies.

sugarNspice

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Portland, OR
You mention to some degree that when you got home you're allerdies got worse, but when you were out riding you felt great. Of course that makes us all feel better, but you may want to look at where you live. Mold? New Animals? Living mear any factories, etc? It could be something around you causing it unless you're like the rest of us & have been dealing with this crap for a long time. If that's the case, I use Benadryl at night & sudafed during the day. A nasal spray does help, as I did use it at one time, but I'm too stubborn to use it anymore.

Also, watch out for that loco guy, I've heard things about him. :eek: :p

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Hey Sean, Sarah just hooked me up with this stuff called pollinosan by A. Vogel/Bioforce. It's made in Switzerland and is homeopathic and has been working!! I took it intensively the first day and now just three times a day and it works so far! Yeah!

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
so, I went swimming and I think the chlorine affected my allergies. About 30 mins after getting out my right eye just became super red, itchy and swollen almost shut. i couldn't handle it. I popped 2 allegra, 2 sudafed and 2 Claritin, just to see if anything will work and nothing to my eyes or nose. I finally walked to Longs and picked up some Visine A, Zicam nasal spray and Tylenol Allergy sinus (Chlorphenirmaine Maleate) maybe the change in medicine from the generic allergy stuff (fexofenadine) will help me out..and it doesn't help that i'm going down to malibu this weekend..damn!

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
mobius said:
Zyrtec is the best medicine i've used although it's prescription only. Also flonase for your nose works good.
I like Zyrtec D... but the stuff makes me sweat all night. I have to drink a quart before bed to not wake up dehydrated. Also, unless you drink water all day, you end up looking like a stoner with red eyes and a dry mouth.