Quantcast

Bad back - need a super plush AM frame - suggestions?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm coming back from a re-injury to a blown disc. I have a Reign X that I've always loved, but I think I need something more linear and possibly rearward now to decrease jarring on my back, and I'm willing to give up pedaling efficiency to get it. Suggestions?

- Needs at least a 67 degree head angle
- Coil sprung preferred, but willing to at least test ride something with an air shock
- Ideally something optimized for a 160mm fork (already have a DH bike, so 180mm seems a little redundant)
- Sub 14" bb a must

Danke

Last edited:

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Knolly Chilcotin with DBair. My back has felt great! This bike Solid but the DBair really smooths out the trail.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
how about something with at least a bit rearward axle path and a progressive leverage curve (the latter doesn't really matter if it can run a coil shock without bottoming issues) + a bos stoy? i believe that most of the harshness comes from stiction and reviews say that the stoy is holy **** stictionless.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Definitely interested in the Canfield knowing how plush the rear of a Jedi is. Need to find out what the geo is like with a 6" fork and the short shock.

The Brooklyn's suspension is also what I'm looking for, but the super low seat-tube rules it out, that and I think the weight would kill me on long 3k climbs.

There's something to be said for high single pivots like the Bullit. I may go that route if I can't find something as plush that pedals better in the granny then non-idler high single pivots do.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
The Bullit was mainly a joke, although I suppose you short shock it and it would work fine. Personally, I think almost anything with 150mm+ rear travel will feel pretty damn plush, and you could set your shock up with extra sag and adjust the compression accordingly. But if you're thinking SP, a SC Butcher might work for you. Inexpensive, straight forward rate modified SP and the rear end goes up and down over bumpy stuff.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I didn't mean I'd buy an 03 Bullit, I meant a high single pivot without an idler (like a Butcher).

Also, I've owned several bikes with ~150-170mm of travel, the rear ends were definitely not universally plush. For instance, the rear end of my old AS-X was much smoother through the rough then my Reign X. Even though it only had 15mm more travel, it felt like 50mm more. Too bad the geometry sucked ass.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Right on, and I suppose you are right that some long travel bikes do ride stiffer than others. Fwiw in regards to the Butcher, I did end up putting in an offset bushing to slacken it out a touch, and it feels ~67* now. That and I'm not sure what your shock options are.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
....Really?
Catering suspension platforms based on a back injury.
Not even the newest EOTB (Easy On The Back) platform will help your injured back. If you're concerned, either stop riding your bike or suck it up.

That said, I recently spent a few days on a Devinci Dixon. It doesn't meet your blown disc, sub 14'' BB, coil shock, or 67* HA...but I loved it.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
It's been my experience that the Giant Maestro suspension is plusher than DW. Not necessarily better, but it seemed like it is more inline with what you are looking for. Have you considered just tuning your shock and fork? Maybe coil fork?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Something like a tracer 29 or WFO might do OK, if you're willing to try out 29 wheels.

Otherwise get a DH bike from 5 years ago...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It's been my experience that the Giant Maestro suspension is plusher than DW. Not necessarily better, but it seemed like it is more inline with what you are looking for. Have you considered just tuning your shock and fork? Maybe coil fork?
Pushed DH Tune DHX on the back, Van RC2 on the front that I have dialed. The issue is the suspension rate - not a problem before but now the softer the suspension, the longer I can ride.