Quantcast

Bad, Bad Discovery - Back Pain Riding Related?

Old_Dude

Monkey
Hey,

I had a most fabulous ride last week and the next morning I had some serious lower-back pain. This has developed into a trend - not when I ride my road bike, just the mountain bike.

This started about three months ago - the lower back pain (and, BTW, this was before I tossed on the rigid fork).

Could it be something else or am I just destined to have to give it up?

Assuming the lower back pain is related to riding my mountain bike, could it be that a full suspension bike would help?

Could I just keep riding, but ride less?

I'm also thinking if I exercise my lower back (doing superman's, et cetera) I might be able to "withstand" the rigors of mountain bike riding better, if not completely.

I have insurance, but I believe most doctors are quacks. My wife did a thorough search for a real chiropractor (and I think ~95% of chiropractors are quacks), so, I have that option as well. I just haven't gone to see him as I have finals next week and I'm taking 6 hours during the May term - for me, that's tough as I MUST make all A's (it's a long story).

I think I've suspected this for a while, but I've put the reality off until now because it's so mentally painful to accept. This is really, really a dark day for me, but I'm hopeful like anything that there's an answer. I dream often everyday of riding in the woods. I can't imagine life without that. It's something I look forward to so much. Some people can't understand it, but I know you guys know what I'm talkin' about.

FYI - I ride a totally rigid mountain bike, my father had arthritis pretty bad and I'm 45 - in case any of that's relevant.

Is there any good news?

Thanks,

OD

OK man, I can actually help here.

Yes, suspension will help a bunch. No, you don't have to have a dualie. First, get yourself a good suspension seatpost. Don't skimp, order a Thudbuster. Your bike will still handle the same, but it takes quite a bit of the harshness out.

If its not enough, you may need to get away from the rigid fork. If $$$ is an issue, there are some halfway decent forks out there for about $250.

Oh, and yes, work on building the muscles around the problem area. It will help. Just don't over-do it.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'd play around with things like stem rise and seat height before dropping the dough on a new ride. It's amazing what a couple of degrees rise in the stem will do for a sore back.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
It might just be your bike setup and riding position. You may want to take some time to try adjusting things for a better fit - raise or lower your seat, get a different length and rise on your stem, try wider or narrower handlebars, etc. There's a lot of adjustments you can make to improve the way your bike fits you.

I would check with your lbs to see if they can help.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have a thud buster seat post but it has a slightly larger DIA post (can't remember the size right now though). Let me know I'll sell it to you for a steal.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Since my back injury, every time I ride a hardtail in technical terrain for longer than an hour I get pretty intense back pain :dead: I can ride my AC hard for 3-4 hours with out even getting the slightest soreness though so yeah, it will help.

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
Check your bike set up.

See your Doctor. At least have some x-rays taken to see what you are dealing with.

Exercise not only your lower back but your abs as well. These muscle groups work together.

Check your riding style. Pay attention to how you are moving on the bike when jumping / dropping etc.

Old_Dude

Monkey
I can ride my AC hard for 3-4 hours with out even getting the slightest soreness
I'm guessing a "AC" is some sort of full suspension machine?

The trails I ride are bumpy. I guess that goes without saying, but it's not like I'm riding some flat, well groomed fire roads or something. Roots, rocks, ruts, creeks (not creaks), et cetera, that's the stuff we all live for, right? It's what makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks everyone for your input - all good info and I appreciate it.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Originally posted by Old_Dude
I'm guessing a "AC" is some sort of full suspension machine?

The trails I ride are bumpy. I guess that goes without saying, but it's not like I'm riding some flat, well groomed fire roads or something. Roots, rocks, ruts, creeks (not creaks), et cetera, that's the stuff we all live for, right? It's what makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks everyone for your input - all good info and I appreciate it.
Yeah, you should try one...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Originally posted by Old_Dude
I'm also thinking if I exercise my lower back (doing superman's, et cetera) I might be able to "withstand" the rigors of mountain bike riding better, if not completely.

Is there any good news?
First off, lemme tell you aren't the only fella that experiences mtn-biking-induced back pain out there... my back hurts EVERY day! :D

But seriously... my spine doctors have told me that core strength and stability becomes INCREASINGLY important as one ages, whether or not you ride. Even couch potatoes should be doing simple core exercises... hip raises, supermans, sit-ups, crunches and maybe some pushups for good measure. Working up to 10-15 each of these exercises in the a.m. every day should go a LONG way in prolonging your quality of life, and subsequently your ability ride without pain.

With that said... I'm off to spin around the park on my road bike!

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I spent one whole summer on codine and percicet with back pain....one day i decided to go swimming and the next day I felt 50% better. After a week of swimming I was 100%.

I have been diagnosed with a bulged disc, scoliosis, and all other kinds of crap.......all I know is that swimming make me feel good so I do it. 30 min. of freestyle stroke....

i know that sometimes getting to a pool is a pain in the ass but it is well worth it.

good luck.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
You opinion of Chiropractors is pretty off base, I have 25 years of experience/treatment with them and grew up in a chiropractic family. They are about the farthest thing from a quack and I have numerous personal experiences to verify it. I suggest finding a sports chiropractor in your area, preferably one who graduated from Logan College of Chiropractic or Palmer College.
The last thing I would ever do is go to a family doctor for back problems......the same way I wouldn't go to the Chiroprator if I had food poisoning.

Beyond that you should probably get a good ab routine going, start a daily stretching regimen, and start doing straight-leg deadlifts twice to three times a week......adios back pain. More often than not lower back pain is caused by a combination of weak ab muscles and tight/unflexible hamstrings.

Good luck, I have had some back problems in life myself but you can overcome them......and medication is not the answer!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I've started to have increaseing back pain for about 2 years... it was agrivated by a lot of traveling for work (F'ing economy seats!). I finally went to a doctor and he told that I simple needed to stretch more. Aparently my hamstrings get so tight that they actually rotate my pelvis, screwing up my alignment. This causes nerves to get pinched... which hurts!

Definately go see a doctor, and do not discount a chiropractor as they are great at helping you build your core strength and stretching you out!

Originally posted by zod
You opinion of Chiropractors is pretty off base.......I suggest finding a sports chiropractor in your area.......More often than not lower back pain is caused by a combination of weak ab muscles and tight/unflexible hamstrings.
And how does a Chiropractor treat weak/tight muscles???

Sounds like he should see a physical therapist to me.

I have been dealing with back/disc problems for years, and the excersises i learned in PT has been the best solution for me.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Originally posted by PsychO!1
And how does a Chiropractor treat weak/tight muscles???
The same way a physical therapist would, notice I did say a sports chiropractor. Beyond teaching you stretches and giving you a regimen a chiroprator will also use a tens-unit/electrolasis on your back to loosen the muscles. Beyond that if he does have a subluxation the chiropractor will be able to manipulate vertibrea into their proper placement.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
another thing noone mentioned- cyclists tend to develop strength imbalances between the quads and hamstrings. 9/10 serious riders probably have at least some kind of lower back pain caused by tight hip flexors and quads that pull downward on the pelvis, arching the lower spine forward. If you lift in the off season, work on balancing your leg muscles out. Do lots of abs- leg lifts and swedish ball workouts, not just crunches. Tougher abs will pull back on the pelvis where the hip flexors pull down. STRETCH those flexors a LOT. When you sit in an office or car or on a bike all day- think about your position. There's not a lot of tension on the flexors or quads- they tighten up just by sitting around all day. These are just some things that have really helped me out as I am finding myself with the same problem. I will probably also be dropping some cash on a fully XC rig as well. Hope this helps!

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Originally posted by zod
You opinion of Chiropractors is pretty off base, I have 25 years of experience/treatment with them and grew up in a chiropractic family. They are about the farthest thing from a quack and I have numerous personal experiences to verify it. I suggest finding a sports chiropractor in your area, preferably one who graduated from Logan College of Chiropractic or Palmer College.
The last thing I would ever do is go to a family doctor for back problems......the same way I wouldn't go to the Chiroprator if I had food poisoning.

Beyond that you should probably get a good ab routine going, start a daily stretching regimen, and start doing straight-leg deadlifts twice to three times a week......adios back pain. More often than not lower back pain is caused by a combination of weak ab muscles and tight/unflexible hamstrings.

Good luck, I have had some back problems in life myself but you can overcome them......and medication is not the answer!

Wow, great post! Can you explain to me about the straight-leg lifts, I really need to start getting in better shape. I have some bad lower back pain and I know my hammie's are tighter than a nats a$$ stretched out over a 55 gal drum. A broken lower leg has left me with a hamstring that for some reason I cant get it loose.
thanks

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Originally posted by dlb
Can you explain to me about the straight-leg lifts, I really need to start getting in better shape. I have some bad lower back pain and I know my hammie's are tighter than a nats a$$ stretched out over a 55 gal drum. A broken lower leg has left me with a hamstring that for some reason I cant get it loose.
SL dead lifts are a super exercise, they strengthen your hams AND your lower back muscles. And it's a very effecient exercise.....you'll be hard pressed to find anything that will develop those muscles as quickly. In the process you are also stretching your hams when you bring the weight back down to your feet so you get some stretch benfits as well. You'll still need to do additional stretching though.
As you get more flexible you can stand on a box when you do dead lifts.....letting the weights actually go lower than your feet, this'll add to the stretch!

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Pick up one od those big excercise balls (swiss ball) and work on strengthening your stomach and back, if you can afford it a FS bike will make a difference ( if you get one get something with a decent amount of travel not a softail I am talking 4-5 inches), if not some bigger tires with less air and a shorter stem will help a lot.

Old_Dude

Monkey
Wow! This is really great - thanks everyone!

There's just no way I could get a f/s bike right now - I just started going back to college and I don't have a job. I have kids at home & blah, blah, blah. If there was any way I could do this, it would mean having to sell my road bike and buying a f/s frame.

I used to have a Fuel 90 w/discs. To me, that was a very nice ride. Hated to sell it, but that's life.

I guess I should lighten up on my outlook of chiropractors - okay, I'll now suppose that only half are quacks. I still think most medical doctors are quacks - sorry if that offends anyone.

For now, I'll take everything that's been said & try to apply what I can and go forward. Not being a strength fitness expert I have learned something new about the back, abs and legs connection. Cool.

Thanks again & happy riding,

OD