Quantcast

Bad Crash II

H and I visited some friends this afternoon. There was a minor ice event in progress, freezing rain with air and ground temperatures below freezing. The fellow we were visiting has limited mobility, so there is an aluminum wheelchair ramp at the entrance.

We stayed and talked for and hour or two and it got time to leave, so I went out the door and down the ramp and both feet hit glare ice on the bottom and I went flat on my back. Those still inside saw me go out and disappear, followed by a loud bang.

Turns out the ramp was quite springy, so I suffered no injuries, but I'm increasingly convinced that I'm not well qualified to be wandering around by myself in the real world. :rolleyes: :blah:

J

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
omg that is really funny. Sorry but it is. Did you slide down the rest of the ramp after falling? Were the people amused after you came too? Hope your okay.......

It was very funny. There was a light on and I could easily have seen the ice. Both feet went out at once and I went down as though poleaxed. The people inside were sort of afraid to look; as we drove away, our hostess was salting the ramp, and they called after we got home to make sure I was OK. I'm embarrased.

From my viewpoint, I spend half my life getting off the bike pretty violently, so this was trivial, didn't even knock the wind out of me. Life is pretty silly.

J

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Don;t feel bad it happens to me all the time. Like just the other day I was holding a book in one hand and my cars keys in the other, I was about to put the key in the door to unlock it when both by feet went out from under me and i landed on my tail bone. My feet even slid under the car, no one was watching so I just lay there in pain for a while till I got up. It happens to everyone.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did it smash yr tailbone? that's usually the worst part of those types of falls, and no number of bike crashes can prepare you for that outcome.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
narlus said:
did it smash yr tailbone? that's usually the worst part of those types of falls, and no number of bike crashes can prepare you for that outcome.
Don;t think so but it still hurts a bit and it happened like 2 weeks ago. :(

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
HAHA, this sounds similar to what happened to me at work the other day. I was standing infront of the photocopier chatting with someone at a desk behind it and eating jub-jubs. The floor is tile and was just mopped. I threw a jub-jub up in the air in attempt to catch it in my mouth, but as soon as the candy left my hand, the forward momentum caused both my legs to go flying up and my left foot managed to kick the lid OFF the photocopier. I landed nicely on my tail bone. I layed on the floor for about 2-3 minutes just staring up, with my co-worker laughing uncontrollably. Luckily the photocopier was not broken.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
johnbryanpeters said:
Turns out the ramp was quite springy, so I suffered no injuries, but I'm increasingly convinced that I'm not well qualified to be wandering around by myself in the real world. :rolleyes: :blah:
J
La says the same about me. Glad you didnt hurt yourself. We had ice & snow last week & the ER's were suppposedly flooded with broken ankles & wrists.