Quantcast

Bad Gun Owner

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Girl shoots herself with grandma's gun at SC store

By KATRINA A. GOGGINS, Associated Press Writer2 hours, 18 minutes ago

A 4-year-old girl shot herself in the chest Monday after snatching her grandmother's handgun from the woman's purse while riding in a shopping cart at a Sam's Club store, authorities said.

A witness, Lueen Homewood, said store workers grabbed first-aid materials off store shelves to help the grandmother as she cradled the wounded child near the store's pharmacy, The (Columbia) State newspaper reported on its Web site.

The girl was rushed to a hospital in critical condition and was recovering Monday afternoon after surgery, said police department spokesman Brick Lewis. Hospital officials would not release her condition after the operation.

Lewis said the grandmother, Donna Hutto Williamson, has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and the purse containing the small-caliber handgun was in the cart near the child. The 47-year-old Williamson, of Salley, was not immediately charged with a crime.

Williamson, a South Carolina magistrate, was distraught after the shooting, her mother-in-law said.

"The grandmother is just beating herself up," said Inease Williamson, 68. "She is just so upset. Everyone is upset."

Officials said the shooting, which was captured on store surveillance cameras, appeared to be accidental. Lewis said police would not release the video.

The store was closed while police investigated the shooting. It reopened Monday afternoon.

"Everyone at Sam's Club is deeply saddened by today's tragedy," Tara Stewart, state spokeswoman for Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the little girl and her family."

Concealed weapons permit holders in South Carolina are not allowed to carry weapons into buildings that prohibit it, or into government buildings, schools and daycare facilities, among other places.

The Sam's Club store does not have a sign prohibiting guns inside.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
If the purse was zipped up or buckled it would have slowed the kid down and she could have acted?If she was paying attention?

If the purse was left open;then she should have known better to do that! She must have had the first round chambered... Which, there is nothing wrong with that,but kids that young won't be able to chamber a round & that would have been another deterant.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
If the purse was left open;then she should have known better to do that! She must have had the first round chambered... Which, there is nothing wrong with that,but kids that young won't be able to chamber a round & that would have been another deterant.
It's pointless to carry a gun without a round in the chamber.

It's negligent to carry a pistol that isn't on your person at all times.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
On the positive side, they enjoyed huge savings on the Sam's Club medical supplies!

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
WTF kind of firearm would do that?
Mack 10 open bolt design modified for full auto ?

No way it was a revolver fireind 2x.

If it was a auto pistol then it must have reloaded itself in the close quarters of that purse w/o jamming !?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
WTF kind of firearm would do that?
Mack 10 open bolt design modified for full auto ?

No way it was a revolver fireind 2x.

If it was a auto pistol then it must have reloaded itself in the close quarters of that purse w/o jamming !?
A pencil or lipstick through the trigger guard of a revolver could have fired it, then fired again after the bag was picked up and set down again, but that's hardly the point...

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
I suppose you still have both feet and all your toes.
Why yes I do.

I got a neg rep comment that I "need to get a clue" so I think I should clarify my earlier statement.

*IF* you're going to carry a pistol, it should be ready for use (round in the chamber) so you can actually defend yourself with it if the need arises. It should also be in a holster, attached to your body so it is under your control. Keeping it in a purse or bag or whatever leaves you with a loaded gun that is not in your control -- an invitation for someone to steal it or a kid to play with it while you're not paying attention.

If you're so incompetent that you can't be trusted with a round in the chamber, you should just leave your gun locked up at home.

yamaguy01

Chimp
Jun 2, 2008
Fussa, Japan
A pencil or lipstick through the trigger guard of a revolver could have fired it, then fired again after the bag was picked up and set down again, but that's hardly the point...
Revolvers generally have a hard trigger pull unless the hammer was cocked. Carrying a double action revolver with the hammer cocked is just too stupid to comprehend. I firmly believe in natural selection!

:poster_oops:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Revolvers generally have a hard trigger pull unless the hammer was cocked. Carrying a double action revolver with the hammer cocked is just too stupid to comprehend. I firmly believe in natural selection!

:poster_oops:
I don't imagine that's what happened; it's just too stupid to fathom. And a heavy purse putting pressure on a lever would probably do the job on some old cheapo .22 revo....but whatever happens, as I've said before, Darwin comes in all calibers. Hell, could have been some tiny auto, too...not too hard to imagine the slide cycling in a loosely-packed purse.

I don't imagine that's what happened; it's just too stupid to fathom. And a heavy purse putting pressure on a lever would probably do the job on some old cheapo .22 revo....but whatever happens, as I've said before, Darwin comes in all calibers. Hell, could have been some tiny auto, too...not too hard to imagine the slide cycling in a loosely-packed purse.
Slide cycling in a purse? Lipstick tube on trigger I can fathom, but not that.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
On a small gun, sure...it's not like some loosely-packed tissues, a makeup kit, or a few tampons are going to stop the slide from moving. I've seen lots of slides cut through flesh, so I don't think it's that far-fetched.

It's not like it has to go very far for a small casing, either.

Whatever, though--if you do stupid things with guns, they will do horrible things to you (or others...).

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Teach your children as soon as you can ,my sons got their first .22 rifles when they where 4 ( I have twins) ,they know what a gun can do and know when you can touch a firearm teach your kids it will stop a lot of darwinisms