Quantcast

Bad news about Sombrio

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Ive broken two of those ratchet mechanisms on shorts without belt loops. Ended up throwing both pairs out. Kinda sucks for such expensive shorts. One pair of Azonics and one pair of TLD btw.
wUrd. Why do "high end" brands feel like they have to use some gimmicky closure system. Whether is ratchet, velcro, boa, or whatever. I've had problems with at least one product with all of them. You know what I've never had a problem with (at least one that wasn't easily repairable)? Laces, buttons, belt loops, and zippers.

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
In fairness to both brands I bought them both on clearance. Both broke on the same type of crash (over the bars, face plant and sliding... not pretty). Both were probably too large for me in the waist (I have big girl thighs). I now just buy knock offs from aliexpress

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
my bud whos 135 soaking wet tweaked the sh!t out of his meatgrinders the first time riding them.. they also didnt want to warranty it..

so im boycotting em now. :D

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
We do have belt loops on a whole new short coming out Feb 2014, media launch is jan 30th for the entire new lineup, I will make sure to go over this new short, w/loops, to all in attendance. I am serious.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
...TLD swoops in to fill the gaping hole left by Sombrio in the belt-looped mtb shorts market...

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
We do have belt loops on a whole new short coming out Feb 2014, media launch is jan 30th for the entire new lineup, I will make sure to go over this new short, w/loops, to all in attendance. I am serious.
When do they launch on Aliexpress....? Im only half kidding.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
So I haven't been on the monkey in months, come in and first thing I read about is people complaining about belt loops on riding shorts? oh man...things haven't changed ;)

I hope this is some sort of DHer fashion because I sure for one would not want to ride for hours with anything tight and wide (like a belt) around my waste.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
So I haven't been on the monkey in months, come in and first thing I read about is people complaining about belt loops on riding shorts? oh man...things haven't changed ;)

I hope this is some sort of DHer fashion because I sure for one would not want to ride for hours with anything tight and wide (like a belt) around my waste.
Doesn't have to be tight. just has to keep your drawers from dropping.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

I almost always wear a belt, and no belt loops is mostly a deal breaker for me, unless they have other adjustable features to keep the waist tight.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I almost always wear a belt, and no belt loops is mostly a deal breaker for me, unless they have other adjustable features to keep the waist tight.
call me retarded but I buy shorts one size up and wear suspenders to hold them up.

no crotch catching on the nose of my saddle and nothing tight around my waste.

yellowdogx

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
Langley BC
My wide ordered some stuff on the 11th, arrived after Christmas.

Of the things she ordered (gloves jersey shorts) the only thing that came was a pair if gloves and a $12.50 shipping charge.

We will be returning them for a refund.

Stay far away from Sombrio.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Anyone got their goodies from Sombrio recently? I have not seen a word from them yet, they took my money and went silent for more than 10 days now.
same with me..i paid via paypal instant transfer..

i emailed them and my stuff showed up two days later..apparently the paypal instant transfer wasnt instant as they didnt charge my account until they got my email asking what was up..after getting the stuff im wishing i never emailed..

not too stoked on the fit...the shorts are ok but the pocket design is lame..i ride with my iphone and the pockets are low and on the front of your thighs so my phone will be bouncing around..

got a jersey..it was way more xc/road style than it looked like in the pic..its super tight in the arms and waist but baggy in the middle...its not my body type either..even though i got both for 80$ im wishing i didnt..

i wear fox demo shorts for trail riding and i think they are awesome..nice pockets, belt loop and they are soft and comphy..shoulda just got another pair of those

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I finally got a shipping notification from them today. CS is not their strength, they never responded to my emails and no one answers their phone either. I hope the Cartel gloves are worth it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I will simply state that I am stunned any of you would order DIRECT from a company in financial difficulty who has the potential to have their assets frozen at any time. How do you think they are even paying FedEx to send your stuff? Maybe they have to wait for your check to clear.

Awfully trusting folks you guys are.

(In no way disparaging the people behind the company, just pointing out a possible flaw in your logic folks)

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
I bought my clothes on the 15th, and got them on the 24th. Spent 120 and got 3 hoodies, 1 sweater, and a pair of jeans. I love their stuff and am sad these will be my final clothes

Last edited: