Quantcast

Bad news Steelers fans...

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
stephanie said:
Edit the bold words to say for everyone

P.S. All the PA people out there...I've driven through PA once or twice and it seemed like the road safety there was taken to a very high level...lots of road signs, waaayyyy too much warning about construction zones (signs every 1/4 mile for it seemed 3+ miles ahead of the zone), etc. Why did the state repeal the helmet law? Seems to be out of sync with the whole safety first campaign.
The helmet law was repeal was simply a can't lose situation for the politicians who voted for the repeal. As a motorcylist, you would probably appreciate that your local state representative voted for the repeal. As a non motorcyclist, you probably could care less whether the the repeal was passed or not.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
neanderthal said:
As a non motorcyclist, you probably could care less whether the the repeal was passed or not.
Imagine what the cost to society would be if Big Ben didn't have such great health insurance? I wonder what the medical work on that laceration to the head cost? A helmet may have easily prevented said laceration, and saved the taxpayers x amount of dollars if he weren't insured.

Sure, I guess I couldn't care less what a motorcyclist does.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Does Ben get paid for miss time?

If I was in a bike accident, regardless of fault, my employer wouldn't pay me.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
Does Ben get paid for miss time?

If I was in a bike accident, regardless of fault, my employer wouldn't pay me.
Well, football is wierd in how contracts are structured. Most are done in a way that allows for a team not to pay players if they are injured in some type of dangerous, non essential activity/sport (ie motorcycling). The question is: Does a team exercise this option on its best/most popular player? No question that they can, but if you piss off the new sensation, heart of your team, he may not want to re-sign wiht the team in a couple years, and it does more harm than good.
Either way, Rothelsberger gets his money. Either as a free agent going anywhere he wants, or having the Steeler bend over backward, becuase he's so loved/talented/successful.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
BurlyShirley said:
Either way, Rothelsberger gets his money. Either as a free agent going anywhere he wants, or having the Steeler bend over backward, becuase he's so loved/talented/successful.
Good point. I have to admire what the Browns did with Winslow. They made him repay a portion of the signing bonus, but restructured his contract so that he could earn back the repaid bonus through performance incentives. I'd say that was classy and smart move on the Browns - get your money back, and create an incentive for their prized pick to get back onto the field.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
reflux said:
Imagine what the cost to society would be if Big Ben didn't have such great health insurance? I wonder what the medical work on that laceration to the head cost? A helmet may have easily prevented said laceration, and saved the taxpayers x amount of dollars if he weren't insured.

good point reflux, but as a motorcyclist you have no rights to what is known as the CAT or (catastrophic injury fund) so if something did happen and he weren't insured, I am not sure taxes would pay... I think it would be more like insurance companies and the hospitals themselves paying, but I could be wrong (then again most likely I am):rolleyes:

and Biggs, yep what a friggin idiot! anyone not wearing a helmet is a dumba$$ in my book.

you know the song "Breakin the Law"? everytime that I see some stupid A$$ on a bike without a helmet I break into that song only I sing "thining the hear, thining the hear" it really pisses off my friends who are Huckin Farley riders! (they never wear their helmets):rolleyes:

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
reflux said:

"You" are unique because you show compassion and concern. Prior to Ben's accident, the average non-rider was probably apathetic about the helmet law repeal they really weren't directly effected by the repeal.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Roethlisberger to Be Cited for No Helmet
06.19.2006, 01:47 PM

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not have a valid motorcycle license when he crashed into a woman's car last week, and the driver - who will be cited for failing to yield - has received threatening phone calls.

Roethlisberger will be issued $388 in fines and fees for riding without a license and not wearing a helmet, police Collision Investigator Dan Connolly said Monday. Only licensed motorcyclists are allowed to ride bareheaded in Pennsylvania, with certain restrictions.

The Super Bowl champion quarterback rammed his Suzuki Hayabusa into a woman's Chrysler New Yorker on June 12 when she was making a left turn in front of him. Both had the green light.

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery to repair broken jaws and other facial bones. Tests showed no brain injuries, although he had a mild concussion; he also lost two teeth and chipped several others.

The woman, who will be cited for failing to yield to oncoming traffic, has received threatening phone calls since the accident, Police Chief Dominic Costa said. She filed a police report and the calls were being investigated.

Roethlisberger was traveling at the speed limit a posted 35 mph zone, but he braked and hit the car at a slower speed, he said, and there were no mechanical problems with either vehicle. Both will be sent summary citations.

To obtain a motorcycle license in Pennsylvania, riders must first get a learner's permit, which requires a $10 fee, a vision screening and a written test. The permit is valid for one year, during which a road test must be passed to obtain a full motorcycle license.

Only after two years of possessing a valid license is riding without a helmet allowed; that restriction is waived if the rider takes an approved safety course.

Police did not have any contact with Steelers officials during the investigation, Connolly said.

"This was no different than any other crash," Connolly said. "We found our determinations and determined that the parties needed to be cited and that's what we're doing."

In an interview with ESPN radio Monday morning, coach Bill Cowher said there is no way of knowing what effect Roethlisberger's injuries would have his playing ability.

"That's the thing we have to be very sensitive to and we have to make sure that we monitor - and we'll do that," Cowher said. "We'll work with the doctors. We'll talk to him."

He did not criticize Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet, something he had done last year.

"I think it would be very unfair, and I think it's really irrelevant, to be judgmental about the accident itself," Cowher said.

"Sometimes with the lessons of life, you have to get knocked down before you get back up," Cowher said. "He's just very fortunate. This was one of those lessons that could have been devastating. It could have been a very tragic story."

Roethlisberger was discharged Wednesday night from Mercy Hospital and apologized to the team, his fans and family in a statement. He also said that he would wear a helmet if he rode motorcycle again.

Police on Monday declined to reveal the name of the driver of the car, citing the threats. She has been identified in published reports as Martha Fleishman, 62, of Pittsburgh. Her husband, Martin Fleishman, has said she felt terrible about the accident.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Police on Monday declined to reveal the name of the driver of the car, citing the threats. She has been identified in published reports as Martha Fleishman, 62, of Pittsburgh. Her husband, Martin Fleishman, has said she felt terrible about the accident.
So the woman has been threatened, the Police are declining to release her name but hey because someone else has done it we'll do it as well.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
two things:

teh funnay -- IF Ben ever gets his motorcycle endorsement in PA, it'll immediately be suspended :rofl:

the serious -- no offense to Ben, but anyone who really rides anticipates people making left turns in front of them. The report claims that both he and the driver were doing about the speed limit and while she was wrong, he should've avoided it.

EDIT: And to those fvckers calling that woman and threatening her...a big dried corn cob up the butt .

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I was in a sports memorabilia store on Friday and saw an autographed football helmet. If I had $700 of disposable cash, I would have bought it and sent it back to him. :sneaky:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT.... For teh love of god, someone spring for a Motorcycle class for these guys!!! Thats teh second Motorcycle crash from one of there stars, Man that Pisses me off

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
DirtyMike said:
DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT.... For teh love of god, someone spring for a Motorcycle class for these guys!!! Thats teh second Motorcycle crash from one of there stars, Man that Pisses me off
custom title for you: Behind The Times