Quantcast

bad ride...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Since the time change I have been getting out a lot more lately during the week. Yesterday:. First, before I left, my Continental Vert pro was looking pretty bad. So I mounted my spare (a motoraptor 2.4) and broke a lever. Bad sign #1.

When I got there I hit a little speedy DH section at a pretty fast but comfortable speed... it was great until I hit a little patch of dry/oose stuff at the turn at the bottom. Apparently Motoraptors dont hang in the corners like the Vert Pro's do. I stuck my foot out to keep from sliding out... In the process I whacked my knee on something hard, stem probably. Still hurts. Bad sign #2.

Then, about 1/2 of the way through the ride I started having shifting problems which ended up being a chain link that was about to let go. I busted out the trusty yet rusty 1999 hummer tool with the chain tool on it... thats when I realized that I didnt have the part of the tool that turns the chaintool. So I walked... 4 guys passd me and I asked each one of them... if the had a tool? All I needed was a loose allen to turn the chaintool. Anyway, everyone was speeding by saying "no man, I dont have a tool". The whole time I'm thinking bullsh!t, a few of those guys look like seasoned riders, they have tools, they just don't want to stop. Eventually someone stopped and I removed the bad link in question and continued to the car as it was starting to get dark. I was planning on hitting at least 2 more loops :( I found the missing piece to my tool in the garage when I got home :mad:

J

JRB

I like my moto raptor on the front way better than a vertical pro down here. I would have loaned you my tool. Your ride was better than mine.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
golgiaparatus said:
Since the time change I have been getting out a lot more lately during the week. Yesterday:. First, before I left, my Continental Vert pro was looking pretty bad. So I mounted my spare (a motoraptor 2.4) and broke a lever. Bad sign #1.

When I got there I hit a little speedy DH section at a pretty fast but comfortable speed... it was great until I hit a little patch of dry/oose stuff at the turn at the bottom. Apparently Motoraptors dont hang in the corners like the Vert Pro's do. I stuck my foot out to keep from sliding out... In the process I whacked my knee on something hard, stem probably. Still hurts. Bad sign #2.

Then, about 1/2 of the way through the ride I started having shifting problems which ended up being a chain link that was about to let go. I busted out the trusty yet rusty 1999 hummer tool with the chain tool on it... thats when I realized that I didnt have the part of the tool that turns the chaintool. So I walked... 4 guys passd me and I asked each one of them... if the had a tool? All I needed was a loose allen to turn the chaintool. Anyway, everyone was speeding by saying "no man, I dont have a tool". The whole time I'm thinking bullsh!t, a few of those guys look like seasoned riders, they have tools, they just don't want to stop. Eventually someone stopped and I removed the bad link in question and continued to the car as it was starting to get dark. I was planning on hitting at least 2 more loops :( I found the missing piece to my tool in the garage when I got home :mad:
A bad ride is better than a good day in the office. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Heidi said:
Yah, I was just going to say the same type of thing...there is no bad ride really.
Recently I have ridden with two people that have had temper tantrums during rides over stupid stuff, scratched frame/squeaking brakes. I just rode away, I will not have someone ruin my ride with their bad attitudes.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Westy said:
Recently I have ridden with two people that have had temper tantrums during rides over stupid stuff, scratched frame/squeaking brakes. I just rode away, I will not have someone ruin my ride with their bad attitudes.

some times i find myself slipping into those kinds of moods and I have to stop myself and think about the people I'm riding with. I always feel like such a cunt when i get in a bad mood on a ride. I mean how the **** do you manage to get in a bad mood on a ride. The more i ride, the less it happens though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
laura said:
some times i find myself slipping into those kinds of moods and I have to stop myself and think about the people I'm riding with. I always feel like such a cunt when i get in a bad mood on a ride. I mean how the **** do you manage to get in a bad mood on a ride. The more i ride, the less it happens though.

I just can't really get into a bad mood on a ride, unless I'm bleeding to death or somethig. The trail is my happy place, I'll bitch at moan when I snap a derailleur but that is mainly because I like to bitch and moan, I'll do it with a smile on my face.

J

JRB

Westy said:
I just can't really get into a bad mood on a ride, unless I'm bleeding to death or somethig. The trail is my happy place, I'll bitch at moan when I snap a derailleur but that is mainly because I like to bitch and moan, I'll do it with a smile on my face.
I bitch during most of my rides. It's what I like. Wumpus says he doesn't, but he does it too. I am having a blast while complaining.

One day this tri geek said, "you sure bitch a lot" while we were riding with one of his friends. I said "the good news is, I don't have your number, you don't have mine, so we don't ever have to ride together". :D He said, "we're just kidding right???" I said that we were doing whatever he needed it to be, because I was having fun.

*Hell yeah I was bitching. It was in the 90s in November. :redhot:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
-BB- said:
Yes there are... ones where bones break are not "good".
:hot:
I don't know, the ride can still be good in that situation. When I broke my hip I had a really good ride! :) I was flying, hitting all the switchbacks and tech sections on Noble and then on a nice smooth flat piece of singletrack somethiing grabbe my bike out from underneath me and I went down hard. I still consider that a good ride because I cleaned almost everything...including my clock!