Quantcast

Bad Riding Habits

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What are your bad riding habits?

-I brake too late into corners.
-My pedal stroke is garbage, I have chainrings that look brand new except for a few teeth that engage the chain during my right foot downstroke.
-I seem to fight downshifting, I'll stand up and crank a much bigger gear than I should instead of just downshifting.
-I tend to go OTB a lot, still trying to figure out why.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
good idea for a thread...

-when i ride DH and toward the end of the day (tired) i tend to look down, not far enough down the trail...
- i m a pedal masher... but i guess thats normal since i m aussie :)...

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
-My pedal stroke while standing is horrible.
-I get lazy and forget to keep pushing my pace.
-I've gotten into the habit of wimping out on very technical stuff that could result in injury.
-I don't ride enough.

Other than that I'm perfect.

J

JRB

I brake too much. I have just gotten back to being somewhat brave on the bike. I tend to rip up on the bars and try to fly. I have to stop, or that will turn out bad. That is why I want an urban bike so bad. I need to work on wheelies and manualling and such.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I Are Baboon said:
Downshifting in the middle of hard climbs. I keep breaking chains this way, but I am trying to stop doing that.

[run on free unsolicited advice]There is nothing wrong with that, just have to get a few extra hard pedal strokes in to accelerate a bit before you downshift so you can keep pedaling but with much lower chain tension.[/run on free unsolicited advice]

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Every time I get upside down I get scared and bail. Thats why I LOVE foam. I can't spin very well, but it gets the job done. Once I fell in a thorn bush from a sproket stall gone wrong.

I beleive I'm still pppuuurrrrfect.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
-I've gotten into the habit of wimping out on very technical stuff that could result in injury.
I do the same but don't consider it a bad habit. After a season with 3 concussions I'd rather keep riding and being a pussy than end up like Price.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I pedal too much. Need to chill out and pump more. Also need to stop looking so close to the front tire, and need to look through corners instead of into them. Tend to smash into people in front of me on downhills as well. There's about the only stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
-dont look far enough ahead
-climb in too high of a gear, while standing & end up loosing too much momentum
-in a race I normally get to a pont of riding erratic, and I have to tell myself to chill out and get some flow back

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I tried to post my bad riding habits but...

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted

1. The text that you have entered is too long (31824 characters). Please shorten it to 11000 characters long.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Westy said:
[run on free unsolicited advice]There is nothing wrong with that, just have to get a few extra hard pedal strokes in to accelerate a bit before you downshift so you can keep pedaling but with much lower chain tension.[/run on free unsolicited advice]
Yeah, my problem has been shifting when I am cranking the pedals at the highest tension possible, then SNAPPO! It took about five broken chains before I figured out what I was doing wrong. :monkey:

douglas said:
I have witnessed that more than once!!
I swear, I was just riding along...

:dancing:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I sit too much. I got into the habit of sitting when I bought my Stinky years ago and will just roll over stuff.

I have gotten better about it, but I still need work.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
DH: Its been commented that I have "stinkbug" style, meaning my ass is hanging over the back tires and my knees are pointing out. I don't know if its a bad or good thing, but my friends get a kick out of it.

I also need to work on leg and back strength as I tend to fatigue towards the end of our 20 minute runs.

XC:
1. Ride more....a lot more.
2. Quit crabbing pedals on tech climbs
3. Quit riding it like a DH bike, my wheels are gonna look like stop signs!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
Fist Full of Front Brake KungFu stylee!
breaking is a weakness.

I'm pretty sure it is not that, at least most of the time. I think I get to stiff when things get steep, need to go with the flow a little more.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i definitely brake much too late, and end up braking in the turns a lot of the time.

or i am not braking hard enough, leading into the turns.

or most likely, i am a pussy and am scared to carry a lot of speed in the turns.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DH :
1) I sit and pedal too much. I swear I generate more power this way, but some say it is a weakness.
2) Dragging the brakes in sections where I should not even touch them (This should be my number 1)
3) Not looking far enough ahead.

XC :
1) I have a crazy fast spin. I don't know how I developed it or whatever, but I pedal faster than everybody I ride with.
I am 5'10 178 and I can be riding with people weighing 140 or so, and they are climbing in a bigger gear than me.
I sprint well on DH bike, so it is not a power thing. Its strange.
2) I ride my trail bike like it is my DH bike around corners, and eat it often.

J

JRB

Westy said:
I'm pretty sure it is not that, at least most of the time. I think I get to stiff when things get steep, need to go with the flow a little more.
It's wild. I just fly off of the back of my Reign. It feels really nice, but still not used to steeps. I am diggin' how easy it is to get back though.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Jeremy R said:
DH :
1) I sit and pedal too much. I swear I generate more power this way, but some say it is a weakness.
2) Dragging the brakes in sections where I should not even touch them (This should be my number 1)
3) Not looking far enough ahead.

XC :
1) I have a crazy fast spin. I don't know how I developed it or whatever, but I pedal faster than everybody I ride with.
I am 5'10 178 and I can be riding with people weighing 140 or so, and they are climbing in a bigger gear than me.
I sprint well on DH bike, so it is not a power thing. Its strange.
2) I ride my trail bike like it is my DH bike around corners, and eat it often.
we got the cure over here for d.h.#1,#2 and #3.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the short section between the bulkhead and the first double.
and the last roll into the parking lot.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
1-Keeping a tally of how much potential damage to the rental/borrowed bike would cost.

2-Being cheap and not actually buying a bike.