Quantcast

Bad Riding Habits

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I walk my bike up too many hills... :mumble:

Also, I cant do tabletops, and it pisses me off. Everytime I try to lean, I turn my bars the direction I am leaning, not the opposite direction like your supposed to. :dead:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Jeremy R said:
DH :
1) I sit and pedal too much. I swear I generate more power this way, but some say it is a weakness.
2) Dragging the brakes in sections where I should not even touch them (This should be my number 1)
3) Not looking far enough ahead.

XC :
1) I have a crazy fast spin. I don't know how I developed it or whatever, but I pedal faster than everybody I ride with.
I am 5'10 178 and I can be riding with people weighing 140 or so, and they are climbing in a bigger gear than me.
I sprint well on DH bike, so it is not a power thing. Its strange.
2) I ride my trail bike like it is my DH bike around corners, and eat it often.
a number 2. and maybe some number 1

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I brake too much when the trail looks steep, even if I don't need to, and don't brake enough when I'm going too fast into flatter terrain that demands braking.

I get too far over the back wheel when it gets rough.

I find myself trying to stand with hips over the stem on flat/off camber smooth corners. I don't know if this helps or not, but I have a feeling it's going to cost me when I hit something with my front wheel and my stem and nuts connect.

I get scared and try to clip back in when I should be focusing on the trail if my foot gets bounced out. I also still try to re-adjust my foot on the pedal, even though I haven't ridden flats in a year.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I don't stand/sprint little hills that I should. Instead I try to grind them in too small a gear while seated.

I feel like too much of a wimp on my 7pt b/c I am used to doing all my "big" stuff on the V-10

Smoking on the trail? :evil:

Riding w/ a hangover

I'm a 1 climb kinda guy. I'll do a 100+ foot climb much easier than 2 500ft ones. I tend to burn myself out too fast.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
My biggest problem is that I stop paying attention and get altogether sloppy, which really comes out when trying to do a stepdown and busting your knee :(

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
-dont look far enough ahead, esp in berms. need to look where i want to go
-i brake in turns rather than before them
-i suck at really, really steep and bumpy stuff...i don't even know what the bad habbits are that contribute to this.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i really don't worry about habits i guess. The way i figure it, if i crash there must be a reason behind it, correct it, move on....

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
1) Not leaning the bike enough in corners - leaning myself more (not sure why I do this and not sure how to break out of it. Cornering form in general actually needs improvement.
2) Feathering the brakes too much in corners.
3) Staying too high/stiff in rock gardens - should be lower/looser, mostly towards the end of a run when I'm tired.
4) Not going big enough.
5) Not keeping my bike in tip top shape, particularly the drivetrain.
6) NOT RIDING ENOUGH!!

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
I turn left way better then right,:banghead:

Always blow :bomb: up durring race runs, every single one at least once, some times many more :mumble:

Althow I have yet to DNF :weee:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I wear too much lycra.
I crash in front of hikers
I forget vital things (helmet on shuttle run day, shoes at an XC race, and gloves when it is raining)
I ride road too much
I don't like spinning (people say this is bad...oh well)
I do that spit thing that comes out and lands on my arm/hand/cheek/leg/chest
My trail skills are rusty due to too much road biking.

The Ito