Quantcast

bad sector/CRC errors/hard drive malaise

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
two nights ago i started to get CRC errors on certain pieces of data; couldn't move, copy or play these files. i did a bit of web searching and found the suspected cause to be portions of these files were likely written to a bad sector of the hard drive.

so, i moved over all the data i'd not already backed up, and as one of the solutions i'd found, i ran chkdsk /r from the CMD prompt to repair the bad sectors.

i had to unmount the drive first (in the CMD window), and then it ran fine, checking 100% of the drive, and attempting to fix a dozen or so files. since it was a 500GB drive, i let it run over night.

edit - assuming i get this thing back and running, should i trust it? or junk it?

i rebooted and now, i can't access that drive. is there a way to 're-mount' this that i should know about? any ideas?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
what was the error message? we have a vast resource of internal HW forums here at work i can check.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Can you see it in Disk Management? Right click My Computer, click Manage and select Disk Management.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i checked it before the chkdsk and it was healthy (i was originally worried that my CRC errors were caused by drive failure or virus attack)... haven't checked it since (didn't have much time this morning to troubleshoot).

edit - i think i'm gonna connect it to my laptop and see if it's recognized.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Did you check disk management afterwards though (as everyone has mentioned)? The partition might need to be initialized and formatted...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i checked it late last night after getting home from the Cat Power show and it said the entire disk was free. huh. my other WD external seems to not being seen via windows explorer now either. wtf?

any ideas for troubleshooting tonight?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i checked it late last night after getting home from the Cat Power show and it said the entire disk was free. huh. my other WD external seems to not being seen via windows explorer now either. wtf?

any ideas for troubleshooting tonight?
Same advice as before. Check it in Disk Management :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Right click on the disk, create a new partition. Then format it. It'll then show up in My Computer.

I meant:
my other WD external seems to not being seen via windows explorer now either. wtf?
^ Check that in disk management, see if it's showing up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Right click on the disk, create a new partition. Then format it. It'll then show up in My Computer.

I meant:

^ Check that in disk management, see if it's showing up.
but if i partition and format, i will lose a bunch of data i'd rather move over to a new drive if possible. i moved all the backed-up data, but there's a flaw in my backup system, and restoring all the files currently on that drive, from the DVD-R backups, will be a monumental PITA.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok, it seems like all the file structure stuff is gone (would running chkdsk /r blow that away?). i plugged the drive into my laptop, and it found the device, but said it wasn't formatted and asked me if i wanted to format it.

i don't want to if i don't have to, but do i have a choice? like i said, i'd like to recover some of that data.

i was thinking i could use ZeroAssumptionRecovery after formatting, which worked well when i rescued photos from a formatted CF card.

thoughts?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ok, it seems like all the file structure stuff is gone (would running chkdsk /r blow that away?). i plugged the drive into my laptop, and it found the device, but said it wasn't formatted and asked me if i wanted to format it.

i don't want to if i don't have to, but do i have a choice? like i said, i'd like to recover some of that data.

i was thinking i could use ZeroAssumptionRecovery after formatting, which worked well when i rescued photos from a formatted CF card.

thoughts?
STOP.

Same thing happened to me. Mrs H8R managed to toast the file partition info on the drive.

XP mirrors this info at the beginning and end of the drive. Mrs H8R managed to toast both. :rolleyes: :rofl:

FILE SCAVENGER.

http://quetek.com/prod02.htm

Worked beautifully where others did not. (I tried several)

I used this to recover everything and put it on an external drive, then I re-formatted it and went Ubuntu.

:D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i ended up finding a copy of GetDataBack, and i'm currently running it on my drive (estimated time, almost 10 hours). it's a little over one hour into it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well, it worked, but i'd forgotten which file structure i was using on this disk (turns out it wasn't NTFS, it was FAT, so i had to run that utility). GetDataBack is recommended based on my results. :thumb: