Quantcast

bad shock, bad!

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
My van R on my MKIII 07 is acting strange...
Today I was riding my bike and when I look at it I saw that I’m on 60% sag…
So when I got home I took my air pump and pump it up. It was 100psi; I pump it to 130 and try it. Still having 60 % sag…
I check it with an old rear shok with the same size and find out that the old one is longer.
I’ve measured the van R and found that its stroke is shorter than what it was when it was new.
I took all the air out (and green oil come out of it) and pump it up again. Still getting the same size.
What can I do?
Is it time for service?...

Thanks guys/girls.

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
A country with no mountains
Is it really a Van R, cause last time I checked they did not have any air valves

I suspect you have got a Fox Float that has become stuck down. You can either open it up yourself (very carefully since there is a lot of pressure stuck in the negative air chamber) and service it or send it in for service.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The vanila is a coil shock.

Do you have an air shock? If so, it is 'stuck down'..ie: over pressured negative spring chamber.

Get a seal/rebuild kit from fox, watch the rebuild video on the fox site (be careful as the stuck down issue can cause the air can to shoot off of your shock at high speed), and go ride.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
my personal opinion is to replace it. i have seen way way too many fox air rear shock get stuck down (along with other problems). replacing the seals don't always solve the problem and most of the time with my experience don't. i have replaces the seals for quite a few customers now and only to see them like a week later. they seems to be the only shocks with that problems

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
sorry. my mistake...
its air shock
fox float R air
its not coming all up.
my float got stuck down the first time i rode on it, sent it in to fox for warranty and they took care of it fast. it's winter, so turn around will be quick now.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
10x
I think about replacing it with a dhx coil.
Do I need it tune for a DW link? Like the sunday?