Quantcast

Bad Transmission? Clutch?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I have an '84 Chevy S-10 Blazer (2dr) with a 4spd tranny on it. It has about 105k miles, or 205k since its obviously rolled over atleast once... Anyways, recently I've noticed that when I'm starting at a light or stop sign type of a thing, oftentimes in 2nd gear (slightly in 1st) it feels really lethargic and sluggish. Almost as if it were driving with the clutch still halfway in, only its not. :p But it never does this at all in 3rd or 4th. From guesstimating would you automotive knowledgeable people say that this is a bad clutch or my tranny starting to go bad? Anyways, thanks for any input/suggestions/whatever. :)

J

JRB

clutch - transmissions usually just screw with you in one gear. Clutches slip more in some than others.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Reactor said:
Keep dreaming.....It's probably more than the blue book for the truck.
Well I'm sure a transmission would be, but I dont know about a clutch. If it were transmission I would be getting a new car courtesy of my parents. :p

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If your clutch is going out, the engine usually revs and the car doesn't go anywhere. One quick way is to get rolling slowly then put it in third or fourth and give it some gas. If the engine revs then the clutch is probably going out.

There are usually adjustment screws for the clutch cable. Either behind the pedal or at the transmission.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Wumpus said:
If your clutch is going out, the engine usually revs and the car doesn't go anywhere. One quick way is to get rolling slowly then put it in third or fourth and give it some gas. If the engine revs then the clutch is probably going out.

There are usually adjustment screws for the clutch cable. Either behind the pedal or at the transmission.
Its working as far as in 1st and 2nd its just that when I"m trying to accelerate its oftentimes not there (compared to what it used to be) so if I"m trying at a street light I have to gap out cars pretty far because it has gotten progressively slower in 1st and 2nd (mostly 2nd). How much would a new clutch cost with labor and all that? We only paid $1k for the car in the first place...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Wumpus said:

Thats what I was going to recommend.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
COmtbiker12 said:
Its working as far as in 1st and 2nd its just that when I"m trying to accelerate its oftentimes not there (compared to what it used to be) so if I"m trying at a street light I have to gap out cars pretty far because it has gotten progressively slower in 1st and 2nd (mostly 2nd). How much would a new clutch cost with labor and all that? We only paid $1k for the car in the first place...
Probably between $400-$600 for a new clutch. If the engine is reving faster than it's going it's the clutch.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Brian HCM#1 said:
Probably between $400-$600 for a new clutch. If the engine is reving faster than it's going it's the clutch.
I'll check that out tomorrow. Usually when it happens I'm usually paying more attention to getting going fast and avoiding collissions with cars instead of the rpms :p

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
It's your clutch - it's mostly slipping in second because that makes the engine work harder.

I'd get a quote on a new clutch if I were you - for older cars you can get away with 2 or 3 hundred bucks. It's the later model cars that'll set you back $600.