Quantcast

Bad weeks for moto :(

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ok...so I posted on here about two weeks ago that the motor on my CRF 250 seized on the last lap at my favorite track (Zaca Station). Anyways, my buddy that has been riding a Yamaha his whole life could not stop giving me crap for it. Well...a week later he went to a track (I-5 MX) and the connecting rod on his YZ 450 decided to snap in half. Luckily, he has quite a few other bikes including two 2011 KX 250's that were free courtesy of Kawasaki (he races Pro and is having his first season of Supercross this year).

Well..since my bike is broken I went with him to I-5 yesterday to take some photos since it was going to be his last time (pretty much) riding his Yamaha. I guess he can't ride the new bikes until they're sent out to have the motors built and custom team graphics (Truth MX). Anyways, here's some photos of how the day went. This was in his first 30min. moto...

Moral of the story, bad things can happen to any brand moto!!

Brandon throwing out some style off the finish line jump

He rails ruts better then I do...which is no surprise!

Coming out of a small rut

Throwing out style again

What could POSSIBLY have happened!!!

I think he's dead....

Oh wait....something does not look right but looks VERY familiar to something I saw on my Honda ;)

It lost a lot of it's oil right on the lip of the jump and shut of about a foot later and he slid off the track. Glad it didn't happen farther up the lift (125ft jump).

Last edited:

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
I have heard a few 4 stroke horror stories lately, which makes me think I will get a 2t as my next bike. I'm actually hoping they have the battery bikes sorted out by then, so I can get one of those for some stealth riding.

Glad your mate didn't get hurt. That corner shot looks great.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have heard a few 4 stroke horror stories lately, which makes me think I will get a 2t as my next bike. I'm actually hoping they have the battery bikes sorted out by then, so I can get one of those for some stealth riding.

Talk to Ohio. Rumor has it that he knows something about electric MX bikes

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Talk to Ohio. Rumor has it that he knows something about electric MX bikes
I rode a few early iterations of zero bikes. They're pretty fun to ride once you get the hang of it, but they feel a lot different to a normal dirt bike. People who have been riding a long time may not feel comfortable on one until they've put in some hours on it.

The next bike I buy will either have to be one of those or a four stroke. My wife is all about the environment and won't ride a 2 stroke (which means I also don't get to ride a 2 stroke).

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA

Yep, super glad he didn't get hurt! But ya, a lot of my friends have been blowing up their bikes within the past few weeks. Within the past month alone I know 4 people (including myself) who have seized a motor on a 4 stroke...and one two stroke.

He can only ride a 4 stroke since he's racing supercross and well....that's all they race anymore. It feels strange because I was at his house last night and before he can ride his new bikes (also fuel injected) the entire thing is coming apart. I guess the motor is having something like a $6,000 build being done to it including tumbling the bearings and other crazy stuff. Just seems so strange going to his place and seeing new 2011 bikes being ripped apart!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Probably tumbled to reduce any stress risers. There are a million different types of media that can be used. I have never heard of it for bearings, but I'm assuming it would work just like for anything else metal.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Probably tumbled to reduce any stress risers. There are a million different types of media that can be used. I have never heard of it for bearings, but I'm assuming it would work just like for anything else metal.
Ya, they were explaining it to me and I got confused. Apparently it's been proven that by doing it (according to the dyno) adds almost 3hp to the bike. I don't see how that's possibly but if I were him it's free so why not! Not going to lie...kinda jealous but whatever, he's earned it.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
To get an idea of how quick he is...I'll do 3 laps at this speed and he'll already have lapped me completely. Him also hitting the full tripple helps. And yes, it was one of my first times back on a motorcycle at a track so was taking it easy.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
So he races pro, his 2 new bikes are the first you've seen the stock motor and suspension being torn down as new, and he's been racing(flogging) his only bike as an internal stock iteration?

:crazy:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Well I was going to ride my moto this afternoon but this thread reminded I still haven't shimmed my valves, and I've already ridden it way too much with it tapping.... I believe I'll pedal a bit...

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Well I was going to ride my moto this afternoon but this thread reminded I still haven't shimmed my valves, and I've already ridden it way too much with it tapping.... I believe I'll pedal a bit...
Hahahahaha good call! I got a couple good beers in me last night and started taking mine apart to get ready to rebuild!