Quantcast

Bag Balm, Chamois (sp) butter and the like…

What do use to keep the butt happy?

• Bag Balm (or other) is the way to go!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • al la natural

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Ok I’m going solo for a 24 this weekend and I’ve decided to use Bag balm etc and I’m looking for opinions on the subject from SOLO racers.
#1. Which OTC product has been best for you?
#2. Is it the best way to go? (ie no other trick you know to keep your buttie happy)
#3. should I even use it?

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Paceline Chamois-Butt'r works great for me. Don't use too much of it at a time, though (a little goes a long way). Also change your shorts as often as you can (at a minimum every 4-5 hours if possible). I'm not sure what type of shorts you wear, but despite the "diaper feel" of some of the larger chamois pads, I find that those actually work better for solo endurance races than the more streamlined types (i.e. I prefer the chamois pads which have the side panels to protect your thighs where the saddle rails could potentially cause irritation - hope that explanation is clear). And of course, as you are already aware, frequently stand up on the pedals when you can to relieve some of the saddle pressure. I also use a seamless cutout saddle (I know, they look dorky, but they do work for me - of course, saddles are a personal choice, but you still might want to look into it).

Good luck and have a great time!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
thanks tammy. I wear Sugoi techifine shorts but i actually run a liner in the hopes that the little extra padding helps with the bumps a little and the pad on that is BIG.

Do you apply to the chamois and your body or just the chamois or just your body?

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Usually just to my body, so it goes exactly where it needs to be. I've never used the bike liners because I was worried that the double layering of shorts and liner would shift - you don't find that to be the case?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by tammy
Usually just to my body, so it goes exactly where it needs to be. I've never used the bike liners because I was worried that the double layering of shorts and liner would shift - you don't find that to be the case?
havent had a problem yet but i guess well see after this weekend