Quantcast

Baggies

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm currently in the market for a pair of baggies. I have only owned one pair in my life of riding, and I hated them because the chamois sucked. So, what do some of you ladies that wear them often, like? I would be wearing them for some loooong days in the saddle on epic xc days, and also for some Super D and DH racing.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
i don't know about other ladies out there, but the idea of wearing most baggies marketed/made for women does not appeal to me. they are too dang SHORT! i don't want anyone to see that much of my legs.

so, i have a pair of fox baggies (made for guys). the only problem is that the chamois is not great for women...its padded in all the wrong places, and on more than one occasion i got rubbed the wrong way.:mad:

my solution is to wear a nice pair of tight shorts with a women's chamois underneath (cut the old chamois out of the fox shorts).

also, i have big, muscular legs (i make most guys look like they walk around on toothpicks). it is hard for me to find a women's specific baggy short that will even fit around my tree-trunk legs.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
for dh racing, i wear tight shorts (with a chamois) under a pair of TLD shorts. the material is bomb-proof enough for dh type crashes, and the chamois keeps everything copasetic in the female dept. i know guys that run boxer shorts under their dh shorts, but i don't think girls should just wear underwear underneath...our anatomy just isn't friendly toward that kind of setup.

some baggies are made of material that is just not as tough (most TLD and other dh shorts have some amt. of cordura in them which makes them so impact resistant). if you are going to ride dh often, i would suggest a pair of shorts made specifically for that. if you rip a big hole in your xc baggies, you might not be too happy.

also, i've seen a lot of girls at races wear "women's specific" baggies to dh. these shorts show a painful amount of flesh, and on more than one occasion, i've seen these poor girls after practice or the race with huge scrapes and blood running down their legs because the shorts were too short to cover a significant portion of the upper leg...they crash...and it's ugly. even if you're just getting into dh...please spend a couple extra bucks and wear shorts that provide you with some abrasion resistance.

also, a lot of the xc/trail riding baggies have lots of zippers (my fox baggies have all kinds of neat vents and pockets and lots of zippers). but, i found out how painful it can be to land on one and have it dig into your leg if you crash.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
stephanie said:
i don't know about other ladies out there, but the idea of wearing most baggies marketed/made for women does not appeal to me. they are too dang SHORT! i don't want anyone to see that much of my legs.

:stupid:

I am 5' 11".
If I wear women's bike shorts, it appears that I am trying to show everyone my vagina.

So, I just wear guy's shorts.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
MudGrrl said:

I am 5' 11".
If I wear women's bike shorts, it appears that I am trying to show everyone my vagina.

LMAO - well, they do want to make it a spectators short...er, uh, I meant sport. :)

Thanks for the heads up - I'm going to look into some Troy Lee ones I think.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
MudGrrl said:

I am 5' 11".

I wear guy's shorts that do not include a liner and just wear a women's specific liner underneath. For DH, where you aren't really sitting much, I just wear a pair of men's dickies shorts with a line underneath. Very cheap option. and they are sturdy.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
LMAO!!! Well, it's nice to see I am not alone. ;)
I have had relatively good luck with Zoic shorts in the past, but ordered a new pair and they seem pretty short. Unfortunately, mine are worn out and I need to buy some new ones. :(

For DH, I have some women's lycra shorts w/chamois that I wear under either my pants or Azonic shorts.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
MudGrrl said:

I am 5' 11".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm glad to see that other ladies out there don't like showing what they've got to the whole world. Why do they make them so short?!

Dickies do seem indestructible, yet it seems like there is a directly proportional relationship between how large the leg holes are (which I need) and the length. They end up looking like clamdiggers.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I've got two pair of roach that I wear with seperately lycra. I'd recommend the mens smaller sizes. The women's' pair I have, I don't know what kind of toothpick gals they are making 'em for but I can only wear them on on a really good day.

It's kind of funny how I got them. I ususally just wear lycra, but I'm now president of the local mountain bike advocacy club. My best riding pal/friend who is a downhiller, gave them to me. She said, "if you are going to be talking to the dh/fr folks, you can't be wearing just lycra". What are friends for.:love:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
For dh I wear a pair of lycra shorts under a pair of TLD shorts. I have on occasion though worn a pair of wicking underwear and it wasn't bad because I wasn't sitting on the saddle ;)

The pair of baggies I have that I wear sometimes for xc (and occasionally for dh) are the men's oakley shorts. Bit pricer ($110 I think) but dang are they comfortable!!!! Love 'em.

I too do not understand who the hell they make some women's cycling clothing for. Hello, we bike and therefore might just have thighs bigger than a models :rolleyes:

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Can't speak for any DH racing but for longer XC rides these are the baggies I have tried.

The Oakley baggies (even the ones for women!) are fairly comfortable and are not daisy dukes. I have long legs and they come down to just a few inches above my knee. Almost no skin shows when I wear knee/shin pads.

I've tried Nema ones---feels like I'm wearing a diaper. Shebeest is OK---the chamois is not great but the inner liner on the pair I have unbuttons from the shorts so you can wear any tight shorts under.

Finally, I really like my fox baggies. They are shorter than the Oakleys and have a tighter fit but I don't seem to snag my shorts on the seat as much as with some other baggies. If you go with them, order a size up though.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I agree on Fox, I have two pair of the Fox huck shorts and love them. They are long (they longer the better for protection) and the material is bombproof. They don't come with a chamois but most of the good downhill shorts don't. So I buy those separate or wear my lycra shorts under for padding. Since I like to do technical stuff I like lots of protection from my clothes - no skin showing! I'm 5'7", 135# and wear men's small pretty much all the time.

I absolutely hate girls' shorts. They are too short and usually not built as well. Not to mention you don't get many pockets. Girls' bike clothes suck. I wish someone made decent stuff for serious women riders.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Has anyone here tried the corerat shorts:
http://www.corerat.com/products/wear/b_short/battle_westcoast.html
It's the price that gets me. I can't justify spending that much on a pair of shorts.
Those look nice! I've learned that you get what you pay for. Don't skimp on the shorts. I have a drawerful of poor designs.

But Performance has the Huck shorts at a great price right now, look here-
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22407&subcategory_ID=1122
You can't beat that price. The material is very fine even though it's not cordura.

J

JRB

I don't wear chick's shorts either, but I feel compelled to tell you that the first thing I do is try with the stock liner. Then I cut it out and just wear "sweet pants" underneath.

*sweet pants = spandex roadie shorts

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
redFoxx said:
Those look nice! I've learned that you get what you pay for. Don't skimp on the shorts. I have a drawerful of poor designs.
I bought these this year

cute, really long (cover the top of my knee pads - which i love), inexpensive, but the material is a bit thin.

I would love to get the corerat shorts, but I'm pricing out a newer all-mountain bike, so i need to cut back on non-necessity bike purchases.
On the other hand, Angie Ho, the owner of core-rat is one of the coolest girls that rides. I think it's worth it to spend $120 on shorts handmade by her.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
loco said:
I don't wear chick's shorts either, but I feel compelled to tell you that the first thing I do is try with the stock liner. Then I cut it out and just wear "sweet pants" underneath.
I gotta say that my "roadie" shorts got new life when I discovered they were perfect under my baggies and no one could see them, hee... no offense roadie-folks.

On the other hand, Angie Ho, the owner of core-rat is one of the coolest girls that rides. I think it's worth it to spend $120 on shorts handmade by her.
Hey I didn't realize she owned the company. Another cool Canadian gal, woo hoo. They are my role models.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I have a pair of long oakleys with no chamois, and I wear padded fox shorts underneath. I got tired of falling on my butt and bruising my hips, so these have nice padding in the hip area. I also have some board shorts that I wear, but they are very thin so not much protection if I fall.

I definitley prefer the longer shorts. What gets me is the racing skorts! Why would anyone bike in a skirt-cute but NOT practical!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I recently took a chance and ordered some Louis Garneau women's baggies online. They were on clearance. And damn, they're nice! Very soft and don't creep up, yet they give you large enough leg holes to accomodate muscles. They are a nice length too (I've yet to accidently flash anyone).

The problem I always have with baggies is that I can only wear a women's XL, which makes me feel like I eat chips on the couch opposed to riding. I wear a size 10 and have leg and butt muscles. I wonder what the chip-eating chicks who decide to take up riding wear :think:

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Ah, so I'm not the only one....! :agree:

At just over 5'10 there have been very few women's baggies that I have liked. I have a pair of Oakleys (but still prefer the men's) and a pair of Fox (well...ditto).

I definitely want the additional coverage in the legs and also have difficulty squeezing into some of the toothpick sizes that I have tried to cram my clearly not petite body. I currently own the above women's shorts, but also men's in the Nema (Crown Jewel), Fox (old models of the Mid Ranger and High Frequency), and Oakley (forget the model) line. My favorites would probably be the Oakley's - I picked them up a few years ago and ever since have tried on several pairs never to find any that fit right. :mumble: They must have changed the design too much. Those are the ones that I currently use for DH since they offer the most thigh coverage. But I would like to pick up a pair of Fox or TLD to offer more protection.

I haven't had any problems using the men's chamois, but probably because I'm so picky about what I buy in the first place.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
So now my question is....who the hell are these companies using as their sizing models?!?! And who the heck are they using as a focus group? Because they apparently aren't talking to the people who actually might wear the stuff.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Velocity Girl said:
So now my question is....who the hell are these companies using as their sizing models?!?! And who the heck are they using as a focus group? Because they apparently aren't talking to the people who actually might wear the stuff.
i honestly think this is how it goes:

clothing company guy #1: "uh, we should, like, do some shorts for chicks, so then we can make more money."

clothing company guy #2: "dude, yeah, so what should we do?"

guy #1: "well my acrylic-fingernails-fake-boobs-can't-ride-a-bike-size-0-girlfriend looks so hot in her short shorts."

guy #2: "dude, then...we'll take our guy's shorts, make them a 4"-inseam, and have her try them on...and then drop a pencil on the ground and see if she'll pick it up".

etc, etc

seriously, some companies have tried to do the girl thing (she-beest, dirty girls, etc), and while they've done an okay job, i just don't like "girly" colors and designs on my riding clothes:nope:

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
stephanie said:
seriously, some companies have tried to do the girl thing (she-beest, dirty girls, etc), and while they've done an okay job, i just don't like "girly" colors and designs on my riding clothes:nope:
:mumble: Amen.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Velocity Girl said:
So now my question is....who the hell are these companies using as their sizing models?!?!
I think they use the same women that sell Fox ads and that pose in the posters that men drool over and hang above their beds. If any of these women could even figure out how to balance on two wheels, they'd no doubt fall off and crack in half.

Has anyone noticed how women's jerseys are also skin tight? I can't imagine how anyone could wear a small.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
bluebug32 said:
Has anyone noticed how women's jerseys are also skin tight? I can't imagine how anyone could wear a small.
Either that, or you order a men's small, and you swim in it:redhot:

I can handle a tight jersey (and actually like it for dh so there isn't all sorts of extra fabric just waiting to get snagged by branches or my own handlebars), but tight shorts...no way!

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
amydalayna said:
I bought these this year

cute, really long (cover the top of my knee pads - which i love), inexpensive, but the material is a bit thin.

I would love to get the corerat shorts, but I'm pricing out a newer all-mountain bike, so i need to cut back on non-necessity bike purchases.
are those fox shorts in the pic?

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Heidi said:
What size would a 30 be in women...6?
???? my size in jeans is usually an 8, but i have a teeny waist compared to my butt size...

that's my problem with girl's pants...in order for them to fit around my biking-legs, i have to get a bigger size, but then they're too big in the waist!!! :redhot: :redhot: