Quantcast

Baggies

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
I have washed my Moto shorts 3 times and no problems yet. :) However my husband has some older Troy Lee shorts and jerseys where the stitching was very cheap and they fell apart after a few washings. :mad:

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I bought the Troy Lee Sprint Shorts and haven't had any problems with the stitching in them.

Bummer that they weren't more helpful :mad:

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
stephanie said:
i have 3 pair of TLD moto shorts, and through over a year of wearing them, have only had the expected amount of wear, but certainly nothing after a few washes.
That's good to know because I do like the style and heavy material of these shorts! I will have to take them to get sewn up properly.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
redFoxx said:
This is a rant about the customer service/policies of Bluesky Cycling out of California.:mad: :mad:

[snip- summary: redFoxx needs a replacement pair of shorts for defective pair. Vendor is charging shipping outbound and not crediting shipping for returned item]

One thing I know is I won't be ordering from these guys again...
Sadly, this is standard practice for most online vendors. They give you a discounted price, and you get minimum service. Unless they truly have the customer in mind and are interested in long-term customer satisfaction and repeat customers, they will not soak up shipping in any direction, even if you have a legitimate return. They figure that you are getting such a deal on the product, it's OK to charge you shipping for any outbound item. If you want to return it, that's your business and why should they pay for YOUR shipping?
(REASON: Because they are in retail and should make customer satisfaction a priority, that's why)

It's rather unfortunate, because they repeatedly alienate customers like you. You are not the first...

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Just got back from a ride with my new Canari Gel shorts...what a difference they made and they were super comfy to wear. My bottom still hurts though from riding a week without shorts...oh man I can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow.

I immediately noticed a difference.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
I have a pair of Canari spandex shorts, and I do have a complaint: these have been gently washed and NEVER put in the dryer and the spandex has gotten stiffer!?! Usually spandex breaks down and gets less tight over time. This is the opposite. Weird.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I just got a pair of the Azonic V4 shorts that seem to be on closeout everywhere and I'm pleasantly surprised. The chamois is pretty horrible, but I hate most liners to all baggies anyways and always cut it out so I can wear my prefered spandex underneath (I'm a spandex snob!). But the short itself is pretty nice. They come to just above the knee on me (and I'm a short person) so I may hem them up an inch or two, but for an average height gal they should be a nice balance between coverage and comfort for XC, all mountain, or super d. I wouldn't recommend them for DH, not enough room underneath for body armor, and the material is not cordura. But great for non-dh.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
so my new stylish fox shorts.... not so sturdy.

riding this past weekend and on a steep and fast section i get my bum all the way back. to the point it skimmed my rear wheel. ripped the butt of the shorts to shreds. bummer. so just a heads up.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
amydalayna said:

riding this past weekend and on a steep and fast section i get my bum all the way back. to the point it skimmed my rear wheel. ripped the butt of the shorts to shreds. bummer. so just a heads up.
Oh no - yer butt was hanging out? :mumble: Are those the fox Huck shorts?

Well my Troy Lee Moto shorts are falling apart. The stitching has continued to fray and come undone, and the material itself is fraying from hitting the velcro on my leg armor.

I have to say my Fox huck shorts have held up better than the moto ones, but I haven't tried to get a skid mark!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
no. i got the fox airatrooper shorts because i thought they were stylin.

luckily i had on some tight shorts underneeth. or my day would have been cut mighty short. i'm bummed though because i like my shorts to last longer than a couple of months.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
bummer Amy :(

I went to try and buy bike shorts today for the tahoe trip. I left empty handed. P'rolly going to go buy another pair of long board shorts, and wear my lycra underneath.
Sigh. Bike shorts people should be shot. Or worse yet, be forced to wear their own shorts. :P

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
redFoxx said:
Oh no - yer butt was hanging out? :mumble: Are those the fox Huck shorts?

Well my Troy Lee Moto shorts are falling apart. The stitching has continued to fray and come undone, and the material itself is fraying from hitting the velcro on my leg armor.

I have to say my Fox huck shorts have held up better than the moto ones, but I haven't tried to get a skid mark!
My husband and I have had issues with the stitching on both last year's and this year's moto shorts and jerseys too. However the material on the shorts is so sturdy I just fix them and look the other way. The seamstress at my local dry cleaners knows my DH gear intimately. :-) They are still a good investment for the price. And after you resew them they will last a long time.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
amydalayna said:

I love my Fox shorts, but the polyester/nylon microfiber material was not made to withstand a beating (especially from tires :-). I wear mine when I trail ride. I stick to heavy duty canvas type material for all my DH shorts. And yes, I have many a pair with tire marks down the backside (but no shredding).

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
amydalayna said:
no. i got the fox airatrooper shorts because i thought they were stylin.
I got these as a hand me down from the bf...they are big but I wear them with a belt. They are way stylin', haven't fallen in them yet but I'll take not to NOT wear them on the harder trails.

My Troy Lee Moto shorts are holding up pretty good and I've taken some pretty good falls with them. I want to get a pair of the Azonic shorts because of the bit of padding on the upper thigh but they are kinda expensive.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I just bought a pair of these:

and wore them racing Super D on Friday. The tag said they are Scotchguarded, which I was skeptical of. I only wrecked once, but surprisingly, I brushed them off and the dirt fell off and they still looked 99% clean, and zero damage otherwise.

My only complaint is that I wish they were bigger in the butt and smaller in the waist, but I seem to have that problem with virtually all clothing... so I guess it's just me. Otherwise, nice fabric, nice thigh vents, adjustable tabs at the waist, etc. And they're cute.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
these look sexy AND sturdy. good call.

i'm now using these as my sturdier shorts and they seem pretty good. only time will tell though. i did take one really good digger in them and they are fine.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
nanhar said:
I love my Fox shorts, but the polyester/nylon microfiber material was not made to withstand a beating (especially from tires :-). I wear mine when I trail ride. I stick to heavy duty canvas type material for all my DH shorts. And yes, I have many a pair with tire marks down the backside (but no shredding).
you know, I've seen a lot of FOX that is styling but just does not hold up for the use it's designed for.

gg

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I've been at odds with my baggies lately because it's been so hot and humid that they've been sticking to my thighs like seran wrap and I have to squirm mid-hill to release myself from their grip.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
bluebug32 said:
I've been at odds with my baggies lately because it's been so hot and humid that they've been sticking to my thighs like seran wrap and I have to squirm mid-hill to release myself from their grip.
that sounds very unpleasant. maybe you should ride in a moo moo. you would be able to get a nice flow of air going.

maybe?

bigdumbguy

Chimp
Apr 16, 2006
floria
Baggies are ok if you wear an Andiamo cycling brief underneath,because baggies tend to such when the chamois pad is integrated into them,they buch and shift and chafe because they bunch and shift, they are also dangerous in that if you are dancing around on the bike in a technical section,there is always the possibility of getting your seat or some other part of your bike snagged in the loose fitting leg openings,even if there is a drawstring,and getting viciously slammed down by the lack of control/lack of balance it causes when it stops you from shifting your weight,them loose fitting legs also have an uncanny tendency to guide pointed objects right in the direction you would rather not have pointed object guided,like branches,you can't really see them when they are pointed right at you until it is too late,OUCH!.
I hate spandex,but I hate getting slammed into the dirt,face first more,I actually went off of a very tall cliff once because my baggy shorts caught a limb and caused me to lose balance ,luckily I caught something before I went down,I'll never wear baggies again except on the road or playing around town,t-shirt type sleeves are dangerous the same way,tight fitting shooter type tops are better.
Just my humble (experienced) Opinion.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
The word "baggies" shouldn't mean they're so loose they can catch on your saddle, or anything else. I personally would never ride technical trails in spandex because it doesn't offer any protection in a fall - that's the #1 reason for me for wearing baggies. And personally, I've caught spandex on the nose of my saddle more than I've ever had issues with baggies. Spandex is only for rides where I'm confident I won't be wrecking.

You just want to convince all of us women to wear tight fitting clothing... ;)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
bigdumbguy said:
Baggies are ok if you wear an Andiamo cycling brief underneath,because baggies tend to such when the chamois pad is integrated into them,they buch and shift and chafe because they bunch and shift, they are also dangerous in that if you are dancing around on the bike in a technical section,there is always the possibility of getting your seat or some other part of your bike snagged in the loose fitting leg openings,even if there is a drawstring,and getting viciously slammed down by the lack of control/lack of balance it causes when it stops you from shifting your weight,them loose fitting legs also have an uncanny tendency to guide pointed objects right in the direction you would rather not have pointed object guided,like branches,you can't really see them when they are pointed right at you until it is too late,OUCH!.
I hate spandex,but I hate getting slammed into the dirt,face first more,I actually went off of a very tall cliff once because my baggy shorts caught a limb and caused me to lose balance ,luckily I caught something before I went down,I'll never wear baggies again except on the road or playing around town,t-shirt type sleeves are dangerous the same way,tight fitting shooter type tops are better.
I can't think of once in my long (and experienced) cycling career that this has ever been or ever could be a problem. Baggies shouldn't and in most cases aren't so lose that you could even get a short leg stuck on your seat. If they are then they are poorly designed and I wouldn't buy them anyways. I

I agree with altagirl on this one, I think what is more dangerous is riding DH, freeride, or the like in spandex because of the possibility for major trail rash if you do go down and your lyrca shreds. But this is just my humble (and experienced) opinion. ;)

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
bigdumbguy said:

In all honesty...I thought this was a joke.

BUMP

I hate baggies. I really hate em. Never found a pair that fit well or was even slightly flattering.

But I suppose I should get a pair - because they do offer more protection than spandex.

so.... I wear a size 10 in street pants - so I'm not ginormous but I'm SHORT. I used to own a pair of Oakleys - but I sold em. The hips were too tight and the waist was too big and they used to catch on my seat.

Any pairs that you can recommend that won't 1. break the bank and 2. might be a good fit?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
MtnBikerChk said:
BUMP

I hate baggies. I really hate em. Never found a pair that fit well or was even slightly flattering.

But I suppose I should get a pair - because they do offer more protection than spandex.

so.... I wear a size 10 in street pants - so I'm not ginormous but I'm SHORT. I used to own a pair of Oakleys - but I sold em. The hips were too tight and the waist was too big and they used to catch on my seat.

Any pairs that you can recommend that won't 1. break the bank and 2. might be a good fit?
The specialized women's trail shorts. They are generous in the thighs, and are made with a nice durable material with a good stretch to it. Too many baggies don't have any stretch. If you are short, like me, they will be a lower thigh length, just above the knee. And I don't think they are outrageously priced. Also, because they are specialized brand, you should be able to find a specialized dealer with them in stock to try on, no mail-order guessing game. Hope this helps.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
In case anyone is interested in picking up a great baggie cheap - Jensen has the men's Fox Huck shorts on sale for $30. Size 30 only, but that was my size so I snagged a pair.

I have two of these and they're great, have held up well even though they've constantly been against the velcro of my leg armor.

I never thought about not wearing baggies because they weren't attractive - I thought the main point was they worked! I obviously wouldn't wear these out on the street....:brow:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BUMP

Are you coming the the race? I have 2 brand new pairs of shorts that you could try on and I could sell them to you cheap. I wear a size 10 also and bought them but ended up wanting some that were just a little longer. They are Zoic Donner shorts and a pair of Fox baggies. Let me know if you're interested.