Quantcast

Bald Monkies. I Need advice

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So I decided to stop pretending like I can fight genetics and finally shaved my head bald. Now I have no clue how to take care of my bald head. Anything I need to know? Shaving with some special gadgets, shavers, creams or whatever? I will go to a Barber once a month but not more often since I would like to have some cash left and the only barber here that isn't a 14-year-old boy pretending to be a 14-year-olds boy rendition of manliness costs a ton of cash.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
^

eric......this is for you...

i was happy i found out 19 years a go when the time comes i can pull off not having hair....

went from 22 inches of hair to #1 all over in one afternoon....

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
So I decided to stop pretending like I can fight genetics and finally shaved my head bald. Now I have no clue how to take care of my bald head. Anything I need to know? Shaving with some special gadgets, shavers, creams or whatever? I will go to a Barber once a month but not more often since I would like to have some cash left and the only barber here that isn't a 14-year-old boy pretending to be a 14-year-olds boy rendition of manliness costs a ton of cash.
Finally an area of my "expertise", as I haven't paid for a haircut since the mid-90s

First of all no point in paying for a monthly trim, just get a halfway decent Wahl trimmer with an assortment of spacers.

I smooth shave face/head every 2 months or so and like to electric trimmer shave down to stubble then finish with a decent blade / gel in the shower.

I inevitable miss a few spots (behind my ears) so I will ask a family member to double check my work...

A good double mirror set up helps if solo.

I didn't find the dollar shave club/Henry's club to be that much different than the normal 2-3 blades but they do run introductory promotions where you can stock up for cheap and try a few.

Would prefer to go old school and avoid disposables, but I only go through a handful of replacement blades a year

I like to start on the head with a new blade, and can usually get an extra face shave or two before I toss them...

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Clippers set to zero, face and head at the same time. Used to be every few days. Now I'm lazy and it's every few weeks :D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
If I want that smooth all over feel, it's a blade and shaving cream in the shower. No mirror just use the finger tips of the free hand to locate areas you miss. If I want a light stubble that you can't really see but will lock a helmet or beanie in place like Velcro I use a norelco three blade shaver. I do my head at the same time that I shave my face. I have been doing it this way for 15 years. No real effort or thinking involved. No moisturizer, no pumace stones. Frankly I don't give a rats ass. I just shave and call it good

IMG_20190722_181402586~2.jpg

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Ex Marcy loves 2 things. To pick the peeling skin from my last Sunburn. And to shave my head. She makes the most delicious Waffles and lives on Canandaigua lake.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Doing the Jason Statham trim from the neck upwards at least once a week for about 5 years now.
After burning through three cheapish clipper, I decided to buy something fancy. Result: Faster trimming without the need to get over the same place three times.

Let's see how long it lasts.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Doing the Jason Statham trim from the neck upwards at least once a week for about 5 years now.
After burning through three cheapish clipper, I decided to buy something fancy. Result: Faster trimming without the need to get over the same place three times.

Let's see how long it lasts.
What is the fancy thing you have bought? I only have a multi trimmer for now since I used it for my face and I doubt it will work for head.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I shave it daily with a razor. Sunscreen is your pal, and bandannas or full-brimmed hats should always be kept handy.
Daily? Jesus it takes like 20 minutes for me. I have a docker hat I've bought for the occasion.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Semi related so I’m necro bumping this…

While my head’s not shaved (yet), there are definitely a few areas that are getting mighty thin. While it doesn’t seem to be a problem on trail rides due to a heavy canopy, riding DH in the mountains cooks my head through the vents in my full face like a George Foreman grill plugged into 220.

Out of desperation last weekend I just said fuggit and smeared some sunscreen up there, which seemed to work a bit. Anyone have this issue and using a sunscreen of some type that *really is* sweat proof? I’d do a bandana or something but it seems like it would make the helmet feel weird and would be a hassle as I take my helmet off when on the lift.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
A thin wicking helmet liner like this should work better than bandanas

download (6).jpeg

I use a mesh one re: heat but with less UV protection

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Semi related so I’m necro bumping this…

While my head’s not shaved (yet), there are definitely a few areas that are getting mighty thin. While it doesn’t seem to be a problem on trail rides due to a heavy canopy, riding DH in the mountains cooks my head through the vents in my full face like a George Foreman grill plugged into 220.

Out of desperation last weekend I just said fuggit and smeared some sunscreen up there, which seemed to work a bit. Anyone have this issue and using a sunscreen of some type that *really is* sweat proof? I’d do a bandana or something but it seems like it would make the helmet feel weird and would be a hassle as I take my helmet off when on the lift.
I just use bandanna’s, once they get soaking wet from sweat they arnt hot anymore. But I like the ideaof that helmet liner above.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
attach one of these to your helmet

View attachment 178756

Looks like you can get them in packs of 4.
I have an ultralight hiking umbrella that attaches to my shoulder strap. Looks almost as dorky, but damn does it work. Better than a rain jacket when it's hot and you can use your electronics or eat without getting wet. Probably not as effective for riding though.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have an ultralight hiking umbrella that attaches to my shoulder strap. Looks almost as dorky, but damn does it work. Better than a rain jacket when it's hot and you can use your electronics or eat without getting wet. Probably not as effective for riding though.
Do they make one for fanny packs?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife's first husband spent a small fortune on Bosley and it didn't work. I could go bald, the military proved that.