Quantcast

Balfa BB7 and pedal Kickback

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
dhmtbj said:
the pulley eliminates that.
Well, not completely. There is still a small amount of chaingrowth even with the pulley. But relating to the question, this small amount of chaingrowth would hardly be noticeable at the pedals.

rbx

Monkey
lovebunny said:
no. but supposedly its terrible if you arent using the pully. you are using the pulley right?
Yes the pulley would be on there, the reason for me asking is that the ex balfa guys are starting a new company called appalache and their new frame looks alot like the old bb7..

As i have never used a pulley bike before i was curious on how it would react(i really like a smooth pedal stroke)

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
rbx said:
Yes the pulley would be on there, the reason for me asking is that the ex balfa guys are starting a new company called appalache and their new frame looks alot like the old bb7..

As i have never used a pulley bike before i was curious on how it would react(i really like a smooth pedal stroke)
I never noticed any feedback when I had my BB7...not as smooth a pedaller as a typical bike though. The Sundays are the best and most neutral bikes I've pedalled. FSR bikes will also be neutral but weren't quite as efficiient as the dw link.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Ive never had a chain feedback issue, I suspect most of the complaints of chain issues is due to too short of chain you will need to add 5-10 links to a standard chain (I run 8 links with a 44t ring and a 11-32 cog) the pedaling prefomance of the bike is on the in my opining the fly on the ice cream of bb-7 the pully adds resistince to the pedaling ease and there is always a feeling of the pully breaking at random in the back of my head. Ive alway seen the pulley as being of poor design, its held on by one bolt cantilever style the origanal one on my 01 bb7 used 2 microscopic bolts to hold the 2 plates together and the same bolts where also used to keep the ring from rotating between the pully plates, the wheel i got off a old balfa dealer was an 03 with 3 larger bolts whos sole job is to keep the whole pulley togeter is a much better design but dispite lock tighting the bolts back off during each ride and and the threading aluminium holes strip easily.