Quantcast

BAN the SPAMMERS

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There's been an influx of spammers recently.

"Thanks for the tip"

Buy couch bags for cheap

Etc. I report just about every one we see, but sometimes they don't get taken down. Is there any way we can prevent that crap, or is the only way through user reporting?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Reporting is the best way to do it. I'm not sure why some get reported but don't make it to my inbox - I follow up on virtually every report that I get. Sometimes another mod has gotten there first but I'm surprised there are some that aren't getting deleted.

Got any links to spam that you know you've reported? I'd like to check and see if an email actually got generated.

Thanks for letting us know.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Huh. I found a setting turned off that I know I had turned on once before. Forums with specific moderators were only having those particular moderators emailed on a reported post.

I should get everything, now, as will I Are Baboon. So if everything gets caught from now on, you can thank me. And if something gets missed, blame him.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Cool. I know of at least one in the Highland forum (only crickets live there) that I reported but nothing was ever done about. Highland has like over 9000 social media outlets so I'm not surprised, but there were a few in the DH forum which took a day or two to disappear (or at least until I stopped caring). Usually it's much faster than that.

How are these spam bots getting created? Does a person manually guess the captcha, or do they have bots to defeat them, or what?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's a mixture. There are bots where they'll collect and present captchas to a human (but automate the rest of the process so human involvement is minimal), and there are some bot algorithms that are pretty good at guessing.