Quantcast

bank collapse '23

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The understanding of this that I have from a few lay press articles is that (asides from the stupid self-induced bank run on SVB that was the ultimate precipitating event) these banks are overexposed to long term bonds, and the Fed's moves over the last 12-18 mo have led to those asset prices being depressed.

Anyone seen a more nuanced take than this face value explanation?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
investment in fixed low interest bonds
crime
insufficient liquidity reserves
also, crime
fear/volatility causing widespread and unexpected withdrawals (see #3)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The understanding of this that I have from a few lay press articles is that (asides from the stupid self-induced bank run on SVB that was the ultimate precipitating event) these banks are overexposed to long term bonds, and the Fed's moves over the last 12-18 mo have led to those asset prices being depressed.

Anyone seen a more nuanced take than this face value explanation?
"housing prices never go down"/"interest rates will never go up" is certainly part of it.

Irresponsible lending to depositors taking huge risks via uninsured deposits was another one. The fact that this was based where it is should tell you everything. People are too scared to slap around these idiots with money for fear that we might sTiFLe iNnOvAtIOn when all most of the dumbasses do is reinvent things like buses and taxi companies.

the entire tech industry is a scam that makes little to nothing of value, much like SVB itself. The other banks you're seeing in trouble did a lot of the same shit.

the bank run was just facing a reality no one wanted to admit, at least not outloud. It's the moment people realized the inevitable frailty of credit default swaps that no one wanted to discuss because they were making money. Where the real estate collapse was based on unrepayable loans and massive bundling and reselling in a housing market that 'never goes down', this was almost old school straight pyramid scheme shit with deliberately ignored safety measures designed to prevent exactly this kind of thing.

It took 4 days to decide to repay these assholes when they damn well knew what they were doing. This whole govt sucks dick.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Credit Suisse is going to be the big trigger, if they fail. Like $1.5T under management which means it'll fuck in some way everyone they're in bed with. my 3/24 and 4/21 $SPY puts up over 100% since open.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Credit Suisse is going to be the big trigger, if they fail. Like $1.5T under management which means it'll fuck in some way everyone they're in bed with. my 3/24 and 4/21 $SPY puts up over 100% since open.
From my fiscal understandings, when we're all broke next week, we blame @Nick.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
investment in fixed low interest bonds
crime
insufficient liquidity reserves
also, crime
fear/volatility causing widespread and unexpected withdrawals (see #3)
i posted this in the economy thread, but it's relevant here. one interpretation i saw of this is that this may have contributed to the run on SVB, or at least accelerated it. anyone more financially savvy than me able to confirm if that interpretation is accurate?

"Thiel's Founders Fund is thought to have propped up several startups that banked with SVB, which provided banking for nearly half of all US venture-backed startups, per its website. The fund had also called for its startups to withdraw their funds from the bank as well. "

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
dafuq did you just say? :rofl:

you don't sound cool when you abbreviate everything, you just sound like stoney trying to sound smart by speaking like he does at work ;)
I'm sorry. it wasn't dick swinging, just learned how to make some money when things are down/going down, so I'm doing it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So Trump weakened our support for Ukraine

Deregulated trains

Deregulated banks

What else should we expect to happen?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Shit hasn't hit the fan yet, but it won't be long.

Lots of people are in a fuck me moment, don't want to do anything because they have a 3% home loan, going to loose job cause every company is going to clean house.

I'm used to it, been fucked over most of my financial life.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, it would take a major collapse to bring housing prices down. doubtful those that “have” would ever let that happen, they’ll skin poor people before they let that happen.
According to the NPR i just heard, that swiss bank has been involved in a lot of money laundering in recent years and investors have been backing off.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
At least it could make houses cheap enough for me to pick up a second.
SPIKEFUCKYOUUP.jpg

Yeah! Because rich people always lose out when this shit happens.
You want me to dig up brain's posts from 2009ish?

That's when he sold his tahoe house and "suffered"

It's when toshi created the real estate thread because his house value not continuing to skyrocket is 'suffering'

I don't want people in ditches, I want the petty bourgeoisie to curb their bullshit discretionary spending and fuck off back to their own damn cities.

and to watch them hand wring over mUh iNvEsTmEnTs......that shit is always funny

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Clutches pearls, how are we going to get them invest in our retirement pyramid funds scheme this time.

Don't worry the real rich won't feel a thing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
it’ll be all about bailing out homeowners at that point.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Don't worry the real rich won't feel a thing.
It's not news to me that that ilk is basically untouchable. I want the fucks who want more than anything to be those fucks to suffer. The jews working the ovens if you will..... Because THOSE people are the ones allowing the truly absurdly rich to exist. Tesla is nothing if that crowd doesn't buy cars if ya know whadda mean.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You want me to dig up brain's posts from 2009ish?

That's when he sold his tahoe house and "suffered"

It's when toshi created the real estate thread because his house value not continuing to skyrocket is 'suffering'
fun fact: I rented until 2015