Quantcast

Banshee Chaparral Info

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
A buddy of mine finally made the leap to full suspension, and bought one of these frames to build. Who knows what about them? It looks pretty sick.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i know that your friend has one...

in all seriousness, theyre good bikes. very solid. i have a scream, and have loved it for the 2 seasons ive ridden it. however im long past the hucking stage and am going to be selling it in favor of a more race specific bike.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I had a Chap, great bike if you're going up or down hill, not as rad on the flats.

Follow me here...

I am a bigger mammal, and even with revalving the romic and putting an 800lb custom spring on it, the SOB would bottom out on rolling flats. Never could get it right.

However, took it off the flats (mind you I was living in New Orleans when I had this bike) and did something with some inclination, it was kick ass. Ended up selling it on ebay, but it was super kick ass.

I had mine all set up with a z150 and all saint gear. only problem with doing saint on it was that I couldn't run a small/granny gear, didn't line up right. That being said, it was a great bike, super off drops and at speed.

J

JRB

Wumpus has one. Todd has one for sale, but it is a 15" frame. If it were bigger, I would buy it.

J

JRB

bballboy388 said:
wait loco do u mean if you were smaller you would buy it? isnt 15" a small or extra small.
I need a 19", I think.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
one of my friends had one, the suspension was supper active. those bikes are burrly as sin, it is only a trail bike for +200 lbs riders, or just nar-core dudes, but hardly then. for FR/light DH use it's right on.he did have issues with the Ft der, i think the only one we got to work in the end was an XT dual-pull due to a gusset on the BB and a lowish cable stop

VA2SLOride

Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I've been riding one for about a year and a half and it's tits. I weigh about 165 and it's great for light FR and DH....it pretty much rips, and is indestructable. Running it with a Pike and bigass rotors.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I'm actually thinking about getting an '06 Chap. The 04's did have their issues with the weld joining the ST and BB, but that problem has since been adressed on both the Screams and Chaps.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
WKC said:
I'm actually thinking about getting an '06 Chap. The 04's did have their issues with the weld joining the ST and BB, but that problem has since been adressed on both the Screams and Chaps.
Dude you are die-hard Banshee now aren't you?

mountaingoat

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
Hell Paso Texas
Banshee kicks arse.. For the price , you cannot beat it.. I broke my scream too(04) ..I got an 05.. I am diehard Banshee.. Those guys rock.. They are a new company and they have worked the bugs out.. I love them cuz the headtube will not break like my Intense (they suck)!!!! I worry more about the headtube than anything else breaking.. Not on a Banshee.. :mumble:

89yota

Chimp
Oct 10, 2003
I just got a 05 in a 19 inch... chianti red. Looks pretty nice I can't wait to build her up. Already have about 40% of the parts, going with White Deity components for the stem, bar, and crank, I just need to find some white wheels (looking at the Halo's) and a white fork (66vf or Z1 light). Now if I could just find a set of purple Hayes.

-Ian

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
I contacted Banshee about the failure at the ST/BB connection on the '04 Chap. Their reply:

"We have very few frames returned for a weld fatigue in the ST / BB area." - DH (David Hansen) Banshee Bikes

I just purchased an '04 Chaparral. I weigh 165lbs so I'm sure (at least I hope) it won't be an issue.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
A buddy of mine has an 04' Chap. Went off a 2 foot drop and it snapped, just like in the previous pics. Same spot. He got the warrantee replacement finally. It came with the extra gussett and they claimed that they added the gussett just by chance and not due to all of the breakage.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
im not sure how many banshees have broken, but i know that 99% of the broken ones i have seen have been at the ST/main pivot junction. there where mine broke (as well as a cracked chainstay, also on the weld)