Quantcast

Banshee Legend Mini Review

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Hello All!
Below is a brief review of the pre-production Banshee Legend. I will be doing an extended review sometime in the following month which will appear on the front page of Pinkbike.com. So keep your eyes open! Just to clarify, the following review is for the pre-production Legend frame. I’ve talked with Keith (manager, engineer, and overall good guy), and he’s assured me the frame is undergoing several tweaks and adjustments before production models are released which should bring this frame to the status of legendary.

Let’s start with the setup. Taking care of the shock absorbing is a 2008 (with 2009 internals) Marzocchi 888 ATA. While the fork has been much maligned on internet forums, when setup right I’ve found it to be super progressive, bottom-less, and perfect for that split second when you realize you’re about to smack head-on into a square-edge, tombstone sized rock which would most likely send others OTB. In the back a Fox DHX 5.0 equipped with an Obtanium titanium spring. Once tuned properly, I’ve found the match to be quite smooth and equally difficult to bottom enabling one to run less compression and allowing the frame/suspension to do the work. Sunline bars and Magura Louise brakes complemented with Sram X9 shifting makes up the cockpit area while a set of Race Face Evolve DH cranks rounds out the drivetrain. I’m currently running what I’ll describe as a misc. set of wheels as economic hardship struck my wallet and prevented me from getting my desired hoops and hubs. Onto the ride itself….

After spending the last several seasons on a Turner DHR I was nervous to swing my leg over something so new and relatively untested (by the public). However, the boys at Banshee did not disappoint. Though the DHR of old cornered like it was on rails, tracked well, and was an overall easy bike to ride, the Legend simply blows it out of the water. With a low bottom bracket height complemented with a low shock placement the Legend possesses a low center of gravity ideal for pinning corners and maintaining speed for upcoming sections. What most impressed me was the snappy, responsive feel of the bike while pedaling. While the bike doesn’t excel in the “parking lot test”, the design truly shines in flat trail sections strewn with smalls rocks and stutter bumps. Being able to just stand up and hammer wherever needed on a race course without getting bounced off one’s line or losing all effort to a sagging suspension is a desirable trait in my opinion. The ability to pick up speed where others can only coast, and to easily be able to start cranking out of a corner establishes this frame as a pure-bred race machine.

All in all, I’m more than pleased with the bike. The frame accelerates like a 6” trail bike but tracks through the rough stuff more accurately then my old Turner. I’m unsure of the total bike weight but even with a relatively heavy build, the overall weight probably resides in the low 40s. For anyone looking to upgrade their DH race machine next fall spend some time considering the Legend. Banshee has created a frame that gives companies like Intense, Santa Cruz and Giant something to worry about. Like I said please look for a more detailed review on Pinkbike in the coming weeks, but if you have any questions, comments, suggestions or just want to talk about the bike please don’t be shy to comment in the post or shoot me a PM! Also, Keith at Banshee (in addition to all the other workers there) are always eager to answer any of your technical queries and can be accessed via their website, bansheebikes.com

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not sure what the production colors will be. I hope they keep the green that's on that frame because when the sun hits it watch out it's quite a sight!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
can't say I know how much the frame will run next year but I imagine it will be on par with the other premium DH race frames...

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
i like the color scheme but most of all i like the machine work on all banshee bikes i own a scream she a semi truck but handles amazing. thanks for the review now its the intense 951 or the legend mk1.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
well the intense 951 is a good bike (from what i hear) but after the customer interaction banshee's provided as well as the extreme attention to detail I think i would go with the Legend. Ultimately it depends on the type of riding you're doing, but make no mistake, this frame is a race machine, it demands speed! The machine work is outstanding and is typically the first thing people notice (understandably so). If you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch with me i'd be more then happy to give you any and all feedback

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
can't say I know how much the frame will run next year but I imagine it will be on par with the other premium DH race frames...
Is this John? If so we rode a bit last Thurday while I was breaking in the new Xprezo Furax. Great review by the way...you rip and were killin' it on the Legend. A very nice bike indeed.:thumb:

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
haha yea man this is me on RM and thanks i gotta say as much as people claim its 80-90% rider and the rest bike...the legend has me rethinking that ratio. you can probably attest to this as well, when you get on a bike thats nimble enough to flick around yet stable enough to hold a line through some of east coasts most tech stuff it makes a big difference. What really surprised me most about the frame was how it pedaled and tracked

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Every review makes it harder to wait for maaaah Legend. Need to get it nao!

Nice writeup btw. kinda goes what other riders wrote about it when I was considering it.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
ha yea i mean its just one of those bikes that has a brief "adjustment period" normally associated with new DH frames and really only took me a few days to get used to how the bike reacts...and just to help the waiting period wait till you see first hand the craftsmanship of these frames some of the machine work will blow your mind (and the green paint always gets a second look from people passing)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
ha yea i mean its just one of those bikes that has a brief "adjustment period" normally associated with new DH frames and really only took me a few days to get used to how the bike reacts...and just to help the waiting period wait till you see first hand the craftsmanship of these frames some of the machine work will blow your mind (and the green paint always gets a second look from people passing)
I took the red one. Have some crazy thing with red and as long as things are red they look good for me, no matter how bad they look ;) I'm more interested in ride characteristic as I have very specific needs (mostly because of my bikenerdness not sublime riding skills ;) ) and the legend seems really like a perfect shot. It got everything I wish my current bike had. Still I don't think the craftsmanship will suprise me after the details on my lapierre. If only the Frenchies worked as hard on ride characteristic like they do on the details... (my current bike is a bit like a perfect looking woman but when it comes to test riding you find out that she has a cock bigger than you...)

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
ahh thats a little scary about the woman thing...well make no mistake Banshee did more then just craft a good looking frame in terms of ride characteristics one of the first things you'll probably notice is actually how well the thing pedals. I have mine set at about 40% sag (they suggest the usual 30) but found that with the decreased spring tension the bike tracked a little better and then with a little more bottom out compression it handles the big hits equally as well as the small ones. The bike will definitely bob a little bit while pedaling but it won't really compress much further then the sag point...any other queries in regards to ride characteristics?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
From what I remember the production version will sit in it's travell more so you won't have to sag the bike more to get that effect.
About pedaling - I care more for other things on my dh bike as I'm far from a pedaling powerhouse. The only thing I want to know is how much snow will be around when my legend arives and will the trails be rideable ;)

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
well the frame is actually so hot, snow instantly melts on sight...just one more degree of separation between the legend...and everything else